• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ponycan USA Offers Replacement Discs for Sound! Euphonium Volume 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:14 am Reply with quote
[quote="yuna49"]
leafy sea dragon wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
How busy can they be? I count only six different titles in the product list on the Pony Canyon USA website.

It's not a matter of how much or how little stuff they release, but the speed at which information travels within the company.

You appear to be talking about the replacement policy. I'm talking about the original quality-control failure in the first place. If PonyCanUSA were churning out thousands of discs across hundreds of products, then the occasional QC failure would be more understandable. With such a small stable of releases, it demonstrates a failure in basic management skills.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:34 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
I've noticed this issue with several of their releases. They also have quite a few where the audio doesn't seem to be mixed properly. The dialogue is often set too low, while background music is set too high. I have a few releases where I have to constantly adjust the audio to be able to hear the dialogue, but then immediately turn it back down due to blasting background music.

Though to be fair, I haven't bought any Funi releases in quite a while. So it's possible this has improved since then.

I seem to recall face palming because my Cowboy Bebop amazon LE BDs also had slightly lower audio. CB was released about a a year and a half ago and Eva 3.33 came out just a few months ago. So no, the issue still crops up. Other people have posted about this and I've seen some reviews in the past mention the low audio issue, so I don't see how Funi is not aware of it.

Same. This topic pops up on social media threads pretty regularly. It's hard to imagine Funimation doesn't have someone on their social media team who has seen complaints about it. It is probably a case of them just wanting to pretend it doesn't exist. Can hardly blame them for not wanting to spend that kind of money, but if it gets much worse, I'm going to start really hounding them about it.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:38 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
You appear to be talking about the replacement policy. I'm talking about the original quality-control failure in the first place. If PonyCanUSA were churning out thousands of discs across hundreds of products, then the occasional QC failure would be more understandable. With such a small stable of releases to manage, it becomes less acceptable.

Oh, I can explain that too. When you have a small company with only a handful of people working there, there likely will not be someone there dedicated to quality control, and the most they can do is just have someone watch a sample DVD or Blu-Ray once and make note of any glaring problems, then move on to their next task. Or there might be some unpaid intern there who is given the video without any directions other than to make note of glaring problems and might not know the audio is not supposed to be in mono.

There are some cases I've seen where small companies are so obsessed with moving forward and not looking back that issues like these, or worse, go completely ignored as the company dedicates all of its resources to upcoming projects.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3