• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Studio Ghibli, Wild Bunch's The Red Turtle Film Nominated for Oscar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:57 pm Reply with quote
And the Oscar goes to...Zootopia, without a doubt.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:25 pm Reply with quote
phantomfandom wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
Like any ceremony, I'm saddened that some people or movies didn't get nominations, and Your Name is obviously one of them. I seriously attribute this to Funimation's heavy under-promotion, since the dub isn't even out yet and was given to Michael Sinterinklaas of all people, and the film was never in any theaters here in the States. Hopefully, Funimation Films (as a two-year-old company) will use this as a lesson for the future (maybe for Mamoru Hosoda's next work?), even if it's sad that Your Name of all movies is what got the shaft. But let's be honest - this film will at least still have a lasting legacy, and was nominated for several other American awards (including two Annie Award nominations, a Satellite nomination, and a LAFCA win).

Funimation already did in efficient way, they're saving money to use in case Your Name get nominated. The reason Funimation didn't make any move in nomination process is because Oscars rule state that all voters for animated feature category must watch at least 66% of all eligible film (in this year 18 out of 27) so there's high chance that the voters get to see Your Name even without a big PR. What can't be help is the taste of the voters, they see, they may like it or not but obviously they are not rooting for Your Name.

But after nominees are announce it'll turn into popular vote as any voters can vote for the winning film without watching requirement.

To date, Your Name has only had one rushed out theater run in LA. The east coast critics didn't even get to see it. I don't know how anyone can say Funimation didn't drop the ball here.

xyz wrote:
The list is solid and I'm glad your name isn't nominated.

I'll bite. Why do you feel this way?

Last edited by v1cious on Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
E.G.K

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I think a lot of people in this thread are kind of missing the point by over discussing Your Name and whether it should be included in the nominations...

The point is, Your Name didn't get nominated. Red Turtle did.

And while Red Turtle will almost certainly not win, is it a strong film? For those that have not seen it should they see it and not just because it has ties with Ghibli? Is it better than the other 4 nominations?

I think those are more relevant to the discussion because IF it was a really good film, tossing around Your Name for 2 pages is doing this film a disservice when the topic is clearly about it's (Red Turtle) nomination in the Oscars.

Last edited by E.G.K on Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:25 pm Reply with quote
whitesox123 wrote:
Zootopia only because its not foreign.

Despite being set in Japan, Kubo and the Two Strings is also an American movie; the stop-motion photography was shot at Laika's soundstage in Oregon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I would like Kubo to win, but Zootopia's probably going to get it....
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:01 pm Reply with quote
To be fair to Funimation; if the producers of Your Name gave a shit, they'd have done more than leave it for Funi to organize what seemed like a last minute effort themselves. Besides, it's not like it's the only deserving or successful film that didn't make the cut.
Camiru Mylle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Are you guys serious?
Have you watched Red Turtle yet to be that disappointed on Kimi no na wa not getting nominated? I have no comment on Red Turtle since I haven't watched it yet.

Why are you guys dissing Zootopia so much when it was such a brilliant film STORY wise and character wise? Heck I'm not afraid to say it is heaps better than Kimi no na wa. Zootopia is very relevant to what's happening in the world and maybe years from now will still be. Also Kubo has a really good visuals hence why it was also nominated in that category although I didn't get to experience it on big screen since I watched it for free on the plane. Moana was fine (didn't like it that much). My life as a Zucchini - now this I want to watch badly, such high reviews for this film...

Anime or not a movie is a movie it should have a good plot. Kimi no na wa isn't that excellent plot and character wise. Maybe visuals.

If there's ever a movie that I wished was also nominated, it'll be SING (it is really enjoyable and weirdly exceeded my low expectations).

So in the end, I have to see Red Turtle first before complain about it. Or any other movie.
-Sorry for the grammar

Last edited by Camiru Mylle on Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Zootopia will almost certainly win, but I would love to at least see Kubo take the statue. Weirder things have happened at the ceremony. I'm very glad that it was recognized for it's brilliant special effects work, which combined practical with digital.

Also LOL at Disney getting TWO noms with nothing for DreamWorks, Illumination, or even Pixar.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:29 am Reply with quote
I personally feel they need to do one of three things:

A. Split the animated category into 2, foreign and domestic (this would get rid of the pixar/disney issue)

B. Split the animated category into 2, family/kids and other (this would help anime and European animated films a lot since they tend to be more mature and not aimed at a kid demographic)

C. Increase the nominees to 10, how can you have ten best pics, but not have 10 animated films when that category is as diverse if not even more (clearly from at least the last few years there have been 2 to 3 or more snubs in this category, at least by expanding to ten you could alleviate this)
xyz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:54 am Reply with quote
Kubo isn't perfect but I hope that it will win. Zootopia feels like a typical cop story (on TV) that defines American culture. Red Turtle is a little on the artsy side.
valoon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:50 am Reply with quote
The red turtle was pretty bad in my opinion.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Man, these fuckin comments, I tell ya. It never fails to amuse me just how angry people here will get year after year as a result of the latest Oscar nominees, despite reassuring us each time how much they don't give a crap about the Oscars and how they're dead to them, blahblahblah... *insert prerequisite eye roll emoji*

But what really grind my gears more than anything else is how quick they also are to cannibalize the previous underdogs who made that "obscure anime film" (Ghibli in this case) and complain that the even more obscure title (Your Name here) was shafted. Yes, it sucks, even if the so-called "Ghibli film" is hardly a Ghibli film at all, and I doubt any of the people crapping on it here have actually seen it (spoiler alert: it's pretty damn good). And yes, perhaps it would have been nice for a non-Ghibli film to receive some fresh exposure to mainstream audiences (not that it really needs an Oscar nomination to do that. If you like anime, you've at least heard of the film). But even if for some inexplicable reason you hold a single ceremony where all of Hollywood circlejerks itself for a few hours every February instead of actually awarding movies that the public actually likes, that doesn't affect the film's quality in any way at all. And don't worry, it will definitely win in the best animation category for the Japanese equivalent of these pageants.

xyz wrote:
The list is solid and I'm glad your name isn't nominated.

I'll bite also. Why? I've been open about not liking Zootopia that much, but I would never claim to want it to not get the reception or popularity it has for those who got more out of it than I ever did. And speaking of Zootopia, even if Your Name did get nominated, It's chances of actually of actually winning against that competition would be slim to none. Zootopia was perfect Oscar bait that also happened to strike a chord with the larger viewing audience as well. It's a win on both sides.

Agent355 wrote:
I'll admit that the only title I've seen from this list is Kubo, and I found it uneven. It also had an extremely strange undercurrent theme in it that associated blindness with evil, which was very disconcerting to me as someone with a visual impairment.

Um... I think it was just a metaphor for people blinding themselves to the realities of life, or "turning a blind eye," if you will. It's a common thematic trope, I doubt they meant anything sinister by it, or intended to correlate blindness with evil.

Topgunguy wrote:
Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie is more deserving of an Oscar than any Ghibli film.

This is low quality bait. I am disappoint.

Camiru Mylle wrote:
Anime or not a movie is a movie it should have a good plot. Kimi no na wa isn't that excellent plot and character wise. Maybe visuals.

I can't really take this statement seriously when you immediately go on to praise SING afterward. Then again, low expectations can make even bad movies seem pretty decent by comparison. Most people found the story and characters of Your Name to be perfectly fine. I know there's a subset of people on the internet who vehemently disagree, but as much as they'd like to think so, they're not the majority opinion.
Camiru Mylle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:12 am Reply with quote
What's annoying is for everyone to easily dissed films just because it's Disney or even Pixar. Again if you scratch the Oscar nominee title, you'll see the good side.
Like come on, have you guys forgot the golden years of Pixar where everything they release is Iconic? We have UP, Ratatouille, Incredibles, Wall-E....I mean, back when these films where release, do you really care that it's made by Pixar and won the Oscar or you just enjoyed the film? This is what I felt when watching SING (the low expectations of being from the same studio that made The Minions).

Lastly, I do not agree to the other person saying that there should have been more nominees. Nope. I for one think there should be few.

That is all, let's watch Red Turtle and see for ourselves. Again sorry for the grammar.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:51 am Reply with quote
If "Zootopia" get the award and not "Kubo" or "Your Name", then I have even more reason not to see "Zootopia".
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:32 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
If "Zootopia" get the award and not "Kubo" or "Your Name", then I have even more reason not to see "Zootopia".

If you can get over your fan grudges, Zootopia's pretty good, in the post-05 WDFA "Weren't expecting THAT, huh? Cool " quality of Wreck-It Ralph and Meet the Robinsons. Even Disney put it in March because they thought audiences would shun it after Dreamworks' zoo-cracking Madagascar sequels.
(I thought it suffered from the Dumbo Factor of our heroine being bullied by a hundred basically unlikable characters for the first half of the movie, but Judy's worth it, and Nick does grow on you by the last reel.)

The chief contest is between Zootopia and Moana, for dominance in the "Battle of the Ex-Frozies".
The Oscar voters who wishfully thought Frozen was a "gay-metaphor" movie flock to Zootopia with just as much doomed wishful-thinking (seriously, the two loud apartment neighbors were college roomies or brothers, stop being desperate), and the voters who thought Frozen was a "Disney girl power!" movie flock to Moana, with "How Far I'll Go" pretty much having the lock on Best Song this year.
And I haven't seen the movie yet (waiting to see it on vacation), so that song isn't driving me up the wall....Yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3