• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'It' Remake's Director Andy Muschietti to Develop Live-Action Robotech Project

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:00 am Reply with quote
If Hollywood wants to do anime-based film, then it might work best when it's movie based off of a series with a European or American-style setting. "Tiger & Bunny" is perhaps a perfect example. It is set in a NYC-influenced story and is about a superhero reality show, which are 2 popular forms of entertainment here.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:53 am Reply with quote
As long as they show they're 'active' with the property, they can't lose the rights to it. What a legal mess.

As to someone saying Macross was about Zentraedi and Robotech opened it up to more aliens. In both sequels it was a child from the Max Miria/Milia pairing that was a main character. As we also see through later sequels and the rather dubious debacle that was Delta, there are many Post-Protoculture races.

Really that's the main difference in the franchises. What the Protoculture meant. In Robottech is was a mysterious substance that allowed new super weapons. In main Macross lore it was the source of all culture, and that it would be culture itself that bails humanity out of later conflicts. Developing the arts is on par with developing those fancy space planes. Macross gives us a message to hold on to our humanity, our culture, when going to the stars. I like that sentiment. Much more than just another cover name for a big weapon.

I'm with many in saying Robotech was a product of its day and was valuable. But that model of syndication is no longer how things need to be. Anime fans are often accused of being reactionary, but this time its their turn to catch up to the fans. Look at the side bar right now, the two lead signers for Deta were at AX and their interview is on the side bar. The music from that show rightly sold like hot cakes! Macross is alive and well and there's a new project slated for 2018.

If HG wants to squat on the rights, they'll continue to deny fans and not make more money. I've been to their panels and they act oblivious to the rest of the franchise. They also show almost no care for the other properties. the only reason Shadow Chronicles takes place with another setting is because that's all you can do with a direct sequel.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:29 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:

Pride has nothing to do. Would you do business with someone who backstabbed you in the first place and then stole your work ? Because that is what Harmony Gold did to Big West. And the supreme irony is that even after having stolen all that was possible from Big West, they can't use it for anything, liveaction or otherwise. And the parts of Robotech they acquired normally don't interest what few fans they have left. So if this live action Robotech movie ever comes out it will have none absolutely none of the story elements of Macross.

People were having pipe dreams that Sony could just throw money at Big West and outright buy the rights, or at least end this nightmare.

No!

Wrong!

Big West is too stubborn, Harmony Gold too scummy to let money end this pointless feud. So this film will continue to remain in Development Hell.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:51 am Reply with quote
I say let them make this film.. and let it flop hard!
HG is not getting any of my money... so whatever.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:55 pm Reply with quote
TBH, I have more faith in modern Western studios to do Robotech justice than Japan right now.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:01 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
TBH, I have more faith in modern Western studios to do Robotech justice than Japan right now.

But which movies should be used for the footage? Space Battleship Yamato is already licenced in the West and so are Message from Outer Space and and Goodbye Jupiter, so those are out of question. Maybe the Robotech movie could use footage from Turks in Space.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:16 am Reply with quote
I understand that it takes years from an announcement like this and the expected (if any) release date. However, i think there really shouldn't be an issue for them not to start filming within 2 years of such an announcement.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3