• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gundam Designer Gets Political with Trump Magazine Cover

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
I'm sure all those other Trump cameos and anti-Left events happening in Japan are in their backlog waiting to be published in the future.

Are there any positive portrayals of Trump in anime or manga that you know of?
Crext

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:44 pm Reply with quote
You can interpret this in many different ways though. On one side you got Trump and Abe "partying away" seemingly ignoring the greater threat, while Putin and Xi knows perfectly well what is going on, but are in on the plot. If anything it seems to be more of a criticism of Trump and Abe not keeping the eye on the ball, and the other leaders for egging it on/allowing it to happen.

On a different note, from youtube videos of people going around and interviewing Japanese people about the current situation, most actually don't seem to think poorly of Trump. If anything they emphasis with the situation he was put in, and actually say flat out that it's not much "they" can do and have to rely on America. Which is pretty odd considering Trump wanted to abandon the region all together ("Not our fight")... I actually doubt Trump wanted anything to do with this, but it's the Kim who drags the US back I guess, because without the US being the "big scary wolf" then North Korea no longer have an outside enemy to blame their horrible situation on, and that would result in infighting(?) North Korea is basically just one big concentration camp as things are right now and if they have no outside force to grab attention, will they be able to massacre their own people for that much longer without a rebellion of some kind?

Last edited by Crext on Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Crext wrote:
North Korea is basically just one big concentration camp as things are right now and if they have no outside force to grab attention, will they be able to massacre their own people for that much longer without a rebellion of some kind?

Given North Korea runs a tight ship not unlike Russia between the 1930's-1980's I'd say yes.

Chrysostomus wrote:

But anyway, the point of the person you replied to is that ANN is quickly developing a Trump derangement syndrome and people don't come here for that.

True "some" of them don't for reasons, though I wouldn't call this Trump "Derangement" Syndrome as no one needs to write hit pieces or come up with inane accusations (including ones that aren't problematic) to make the guy look bad when he"s easily capable of doing that himself...generally at the expense of other people.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
When you only publish unabashed hit-pieces about someone, and even his son, your (not yours specifically, I mean ANN as a whole) credibility and impartiality is called into question.
No, I would argue it's a call for ANN to not push its patently anti-Trump agenda so hard.

Impartiality is not giving equal coverage to two sides, or publishing nice things about a public figure in exact balance with the negative things about the same public figure. The reporting here is on what various creative people in the anime and manga industry are saying about politics, and at present that largely consists of people criticising Trump. For all Hillary Clinton's faults, she is not in the position of power Trump is, so her faults aren't really of much interest or relevance to people around the world, hence character designers and mangaka and the like don't really care to say anything about her.
Chrono1000 wrote:
That cover doesn't really make sense considering Trump is the most anti-communist President we have had since Reagan.

Well, there's a few things going on that make that largely irrelevant. First is that communism as practiced by Russia and the Soviet Union isn't/wasn't really communism but just another dictatorship. Second is that what Trump really cares about above all else is stroking his ego and getting more money, and the allegations of Russian interference in the US election and money paid to Trump appear to be pretty credible. Third, Trump is on record as praising Putin and stating that he has a good relationship with him.
Jeff Bauersfeld

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Chrysostomus wrote:
When you only publish unabashed hit-pieces about someone, and even his son, your (not yours specifically, I mean ANN as a whole) credibility and impartiality is called into question.
No, I would argue it's a call for ANN to not push its patently anti-Trump agenda so hard.

Impartiality is not giving equal coverage to two sides, or publishing nice things about a public figure in exact balance with the negative things about the same public figure. The reporting here is on what various creative people in the anime and manga industry are saying about politics, and at present that largely consists of people criticising Trump. For all Hillary Clinton's faults, she is not in the position of power Trump is, so her faults aren't really of much interest or relevance to people around the world, hence character designers and mangaka and the like don't really care to say anything about her.

This. The typical "equal coverage" position is an abdication of truth, not to mention moral judgment. If the only thing that comes out of my mouth is racial slurs, then I should expect that close to 100% of the reporting on my words involve said racial slurs. If 90% of what comes out of my mouth is racial slurs, I'd expect 90-100% of coverage about my words to mention that. A journalist writing articles where 50% mention these racial slurs and 50% ignore them or present more positive things I've said are committing journalistic fraud.

This argument even more so applies to what is actually occurring at ANN: they are reporting other people's (mangaka, animators, directors, etc.) actions about a public figure. They aren't even doing actual political reporting or offering any sort of political commentary on the politics of the people's actions they are reporting on. If, among those actions of a minimum level of notoriety as determined by the editorial staff, are 100% negative about a given public figure, then I'd expect 100% of the articles to be actions reflecting negative opinions of that public figure. Again, it would be journalistic fraud for ANN staffers to go out of their way to find contrary instances no matter the notoriety just to satisfy some sense of equal coverage.

At the risk of derailing my own point, this is why the Fox News model of "fair and balanced" is completely unethical if not immoral as it is intentionally presenting coverage that is heavily slanted to portray a particular worldview in a favorable light because of a perceived lack of equal coverage by alternative news outlets. Whether this perceived lack is real or not, or who is committing this unethical balancing, is immaterial.
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
octopodpie wrote:
What I find incredibly interesting is the conflation of Interest writing about the manga/anime/game industry's reaction to a public figure as an immediate endorsement of the views that were written about because of the perception of political views expressed in Editorial
When you only publish unabashed hit-pieces about someone, and even his son, your (not yours specifically, I mean ANN as a whole) credibility and impartiality is called into question. As of now ANN is basically Huffpost-lite.

octopodpie wrote:
Again, this is a softball call to not write about something that is deemed unfavorable by a subset of readers related to a public figure.

Also, please don't bring attention to my censored posts when you champion yourself as a journalist who breaks the stories people don't want to hear. That kind of cognitive dissonance is really embarrassing.

Chrono1000 wrote:
Well that would explain a lot. Che Guevara was a mass murderer who once shot a pregnant woman and than bragged about it later. Of all the revolutionaries that a person can pick he is one of the worst and yet there are plenty of people who praise the guy just because he had a talent for guerrilla warfare.
They praise him because he was left-wing. Of course when ANN covers him they make absolutely no mention of him being a mass murderer who sent people to slave-labor camps, executed people without a proper trial, and enacted a totalitarian police state that has kept the Cuban people on food lines for over six decades.

If there were constant anime related stuff bashing Obama, wouldn't you call it "Obama Derangement Syndrome"?
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:47 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Well, there's a few things going on that make that largely irrelevant. First is that communism as practiced by Russia and the Soviet Union isn't/wasn't really communism but just another dictatorship.
Well in theory communism could be something else but in practice it is thunderdome for mass murderers. When you give absolute power to the government once the fighting ends it is the most ruthless mass murderer that is left standing at the top and that person becomes the dictator. The best case scenario for a communist country is after the dictator dies the country ends up with an aristocratic class in control which is why in China only members of the communist party can own businesses.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:01 am Reply with quote
We're all playing with a double-edged sword no matter your political leanings. Problem is nowadays we've gotten even more partisan than before, and this isn't something that just happened with Trump. Personally I'd rather we didn't have to hear about politics in manga or anime because we get exactly this which is everybody getting their panties in a knot. Now on the one side for those of you who think there is politics in anime/manga, GUESS AGAIN! All sorts of series brings out some kind of social issue which is rife with it. I myself would personally like to see not too much coverage of Trump, because then you're giving the man what he wants, ATTENTION.

I do identify as politically conservative and also respect ANN's rights and obligations to post the content that they feel and know is necessary and relevant to anime/manga news. That is what they are here for.

Last edited by Wandering Samurai on Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:29 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:10 am Reply with quote
鏡 wrote:
Are there any positive portrayals of Trump in anime or manga that you know of?

During the finals of the Goddess Idol Grand Prix of PriPara, Trump was shown supporting and voting for SoLaMi♡SMILE, pushing them over the 50% voter results for a win over Dressing Pafe, which displayed his exquisite taste in idols.

If he voted for Dressing Pafe instead and gave them the narrow win, it'd definately be a negative portrayal though.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:18 am Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
One day there'll be a sponsored article on sexy Trump figurines being flogged by Tokyo Otaku Mode. Seems like only a matter of time. Then we can finally come together in unity.

Quote:
"sexy Trump figurines being flogged"

...wait, what?

Last edited by BodaciousSpacePirate on Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:18 am Reply with quote
Wandering Samurai wrote:
On the other hand, I did a search of the site with the specific searches of "Barack Obama" and "Donald Trump." SO far I see that a Barack Obama search yields 62 results which I'm going to assume is over the 8 years of his presidency. Donald Trump? Search on the ANN website yields 77 searches. Could some of ANN's readers and forum users have a point about politics getting injected too much? A note to ANN staff: Trump still has three years to go, and if America is crazy enough, possibly seven. You sure you want to saturate your website like that?

The searches above seem to include forum posts. If we count just searches of News and Interest articles, we get:

"Barack Obama" - About 39 results
animenewsnetwork.com/search?q=%22Barack+Obama%22#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=%22Barack%20Obama%22&gsc.ref=more%3Anew_s

"Donald Trump" - About 10 results
animenewsnetwork.com/search?q=%22Donald+Trump%22#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=%22Donald%20Trump%22&gsc.ref=more%3Anew_s
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:27 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:

The searches above seem to include forum posts. If we count just searches of News and Interest articles, we get:

animenewsnetwork.com/search?q=%22Barack+Obama%22#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=%22Barack%20Obama%22&gsc.ref=more%3Anew_s

animenewsnetwork.com/search?q=%22Donald+Trump%22#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=%22Donald%20Trump%22&gsc.ref=more%3Anew_s

Seems like a lot more has been turning up lately but thank you for pointing that out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
OtakunX

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:48 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
Wandering Samurai wrote:
On the other hand, I did a search of the site with the specific searches of "Barack Obama" and "Donald Trump." SO far I see that a Barack Obama search yields 62 results which I'm going to assume is over the 8 years of his presidency. Donald Trump? Search on the ANN website yields 77 searches. Could some of ANN's readers and forum users have a point about politics getting injected too much? A note to ANN staff: Trump still has three years to go, and if America is crazy enough, possibly seven. You sure you want to saturate your website like that?

When you take into account, 8 years as president vs 1. It's already double. Though, even as a Trump voter non-republican, I haven't seen hardly a huge liberal hit against Trump here on ANN. There are far worse sites that go way too far off the liberal cliff where it comes off as some kind of mental disorder with the hatred they have for Trump. Just let the people draw their pictures and have their segments about the president. If you don't like it, ignore it. If it really bothers you just remember if Japan gets bombed they'll come crying to the US for help just like every other liberal country.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:06 am Reply with quote
Few users appear to comprehend this political satire. As anime and manga are facets of Japanese pop culture, of course they're going to mock political figures across the board, both foreign and domestic.

mgosdin wrote:
It's only a single illustrator's view, pleasant or not, and likely doesn't represent the total of Japan's citizenry. After all, they keep electing Mr. Abe and he's not being flattered by this illustration either.

The fact Japan's voter turnout is abysmal explains the fact, along with opposition being fragmented with no clear messages. It's times like that when a two-party system isn't such a bad idea after all. The issue is polarization.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
That and Trump apparently drinks alcohol which he doesn't do much of if at all.

Apparently, both Trump and Abe are teetotalers.

octopodpie wrote:
uguu wrote:
And once again I doubt ANN would have made an article dedicated to the nationalistic views of people like Hiramatsu (or, from what I gather, as I don't personally read it, the Baki author brought up in the article) that have leaked into their work.

This is actually the exact type of thing we would write into Interest if there was reaction to it. I try to monitor certain blogs for major reactions in Japan to anime/manga/game works and we've written them up before, even when they have no relation to any American person. A good example of this is:
The rejected pearl diver mascot: http://4NN.cx/.92178
Cancelled moe girl shrine game: http://4NN.cx/.121570
Everything about Rokudenashiko: http://4NN.cx/.108895
Japanese criticism of Syrian refugees: http://4NN.cx/.93930
Sexual art in Shonen Jump: http://4NN.cx/.118937
Male-female dating dynamics: http://4NN.cx/.120300

Those are the few that I found with keywords, but we actually do controversy here in Interest a lot because I believe it's important to give a multi-faceted view and sometimes that means touching on Japanese nationalism, views of sexuality, and religion.

It doesn't look "multi-faceted" when all those articles seem to be critical if the issue of conservatism is involved. Frankly, when comparable stuff happens in the United States or other functional countries that aren't hellbent on destroying themselves, why should we care about what a couple virtue signaling losers believe?

Crext wrote:
You can interpret this in many different ways though. On one side you got Trump and Abe "partying away" seemingly ignoring the greater threat, while Putin and Xi knows perfectly well what is going on, but are in on the plot. If anything it seems to be more of a criticism of Trump and Abe not keeping the eye on the ball, and the other leaders for egging it on/allowing it to happen.

On a different note, from youtube videos of people going around and interviewing Japanese people about the current situation, most actually don't seem to think poorly of Trump. If anything they emphasis with the situation he was put in, and actually say flat out that it's not much "they" can do and have to rely on America. Which is pretty odd considering Trump wanted to abandon the region all together ("Not our fight")... I actually doubt Trump wanted anything to do with this, but it's the Kim who drags the US back I guess, because without the US being the "big scary wolf" then North Korea no longer have an outside enemy to blame their horrible situation on, and that would result in infighting(?) North Korea is basically just one big concentration camp as things are right now and if they have no outside force to grab attention, will they be able to massacre their own people for that much longer without a rebellion of some kind?

Well, you can't assume the average Japanese citizen has enough knowledge of political current events, as well as many other people around the world and especially with the low voter turnout which I mentioned. Trump talked a lot about defense and North Korea throughout his campaign. While, he doesn't necessarily want to abandon the region, costly outdated Cold War era military contracts need to be revised when Japan and South Korea are capable of footing the bill and fending for themselves. Furthermore, he supports Abe's revision of Article 9 of the Japanese Constitution, which bans war and should have been thrown out when China fell to communism.

Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Well, there's a few things going on that make that largely irrelevant. First is that communism as practiced by Russia and the Soviet Union isn't/wasn't really communism but just another dictatorship. Second is that what Trump really cares about above all else is stroking his ego and getting more money, and the allegations of Russian interference in the US election and money paid to Trump appear to be pretty credible. Third, Trump is on record as praising Putin and stating that he has a good relationship with him.

Even when the media has been caught admitting the Trump-Russia collusion soap opera is bullshit and that everybody on the investigation team has a personal vendetta against Trump, you consider it credible? No wonder you also hold the assumption communism has never been tried.

Jeff Bauersfeld wrote:
At the risk of derailing my own point, this is why the Fox News model of "fair and balanced" is completely unethical if not immoral as it is intentionally presenting coverage that is heavily slanted to portray a particular worldview in a favorable light because of a perceived lack of equal coverage by alternative news outlets. Whether this perceived lack is real or not, or who is committing this unethical balancing, is immaterial.

It's my understanding Fox News doesn't use that slogan anymore. Also, understand opinion shows aren't news. Frankly, their news is a lot more "Fair and Balanced" when considering the rest revealed their true colors, talking about Trump-Russia conspiracies nonstop and that he gets two scoops of ice cream, rather than reporting on everything he is actually doing for the country. If it's bad, try some constructive criticism. It's not like they have to worry about being called biased.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:48 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
...wait, what?

There are already a number of Trump doujins. I honestly wouldn't be surprised at a gender swapped Trump figure down the line. There's already a Trump figure people use in dioramas in Japan. Though to be fair, I wonder how many of them bought it just for the Figuarts/figma compatable MAGA hat.

-Stuart Smith
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5