• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#Vlad_N

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, why is its gravitational pull only affecting Sakura? Shouldn't other picnickers be pulled toward the giant old tree as well? Given that other cards have affected general surroundings, this seems oddly specific.

But, up to this point, all the Clear cards (maybe excluding aqua) were specifically targeting Sakura, right?
I think there is a clear difference between these and the Clow cards who used to affect other characters besides Sakura or were causing trouble in general.
Perhaps there is a reason for this?
StarFan13

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
I only with this last episode paid enough attention to the ending credits that I could see they were waiting for the day to change over from 31st March to 1st April which is, of course, Sakura's birthday... Probably obvious immediately if you could understand the Japanese writing in the end credits or understand the lyrics, I guess!

You need to Learn Japanese
Showsni

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:10 pm Reply with quote
One bit that took me out of this episode a little - Sakura still hasn't been able to contact Eriol about the new cards (as far as she's aware), and yet Spinel and Kero have been texting back and forth about mystery novels?
Collectonian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
One bit that took me out of this episode a little - Sakura still hasn't been able to contact Eriol about the new cards (as far as she's aware), and yet Spinel and Kero have been texting back and forth about mystery novels?

I noticed that too, but I figured with Sakura's personality and general nature, it would never occur to her that Eriol was deliberately not answering her, so she just presumes he is busier than Spinel.
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Okay, maybe Cardcaptor Sakura :CC is playing too safe now. It's one thing to invoke nostalgia. It's another to not really offer anything new. You know what could make things a bit more different? Having an actual villain of some sort be behind this Clear Card mess to give this a plot beyond "gotta catch all the cards again!".
kh_gal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna give Clear Card the benefit of the doubt. It's too early to say where the outcome will lead; maybe there will be a villain of some sort later (The cloaked figure after her powers?). I think a B- for this episode is personally a little harsh, being the quality of the animation, music, and character is still more or less on par with the original. I argue that these quiet filler episodes are part of the charm of the series. The old anime had a ton of slow episodes like this to build character. People are getting worried way too early. Good plot and characterization take time to build in order to be meaningful. But I do agree that they're "playing it safe" with the formula and hitting the reset button.

I find that Tomoyo's character was a lot softer in the original too. Is anyone bothered by the fact that they keep pushing the "I didn't get to film Sakura" gag a little too much? It's totally OK to rely on nostalgia because that's what made the original so good in the first place, but to me it's overkill, especially with the Yamazaki puns too. They happened like every other episode before which fleshed it out more naturally.

Most of all I'm so frustrated with Syaoran's character!!! He's like a hallow shell of his original counterpart. In the classic we got to see him display a rainbow of emotions, from serious, to caring, to concerned, to flustered. He'd get angry and leapt at any instant to help Sakura, especially when he was suspicious of Eriol in S3. Not to mention he was so blushy at the idea of confessing to Sakura. Why do we not see him getting flustered, or even worried for his girl? Why not give suspicious glances to Akiho like he did for Kaho/Eriol? Or even get embarrassed by the fact they're now dating, like with holding hands, or with this bento scene. Those little moments are what make CCS so timeless and they're not here. Now Syaoran is too mellow and prince-charming like. I really hope this is explained in a justifiable manner later because he's so OOC it's driving me nuts.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:38 am Reply with quote
kh_gal wrote:
Most of all I'm so frustrated with Syaoran's character!!! He's like a hallow shell of his original counterpart. In the classic we got to see him display a rainbow of emotions, from serious, to caring, to concerned, to flustered. He'd get angry and leapt at any instant to help Sakura, especially when he was suspicious of Eriol in S3. Not to mention he was so blushy at the idea of confessing to Sakura. Why do we not see him getting flustered, or even worried for his girl? Why not give suspicious glances to Akiho like he did for Kaho/Eriol? Or even get embarrassed by the fact they're now dating, like with holding hands, or with this bento scene. Those little moments are what make CCS so timeless and they're not here. Now Syaoran is too mellow and prince-charming like. I really hope this is explained in a justifiable manner later because he's so OOC it's driving me nuts.

You're not alone in this. Clamp has gone overboard making their characters this way, I'm not sure since when, but the most apparent one in my mind is Tsubasa RC, that I'm being traumatic. It's the one reason that keeps me from liking the Sakura and Syaoran in TRC, and although the two characters in CCS are different ones, I'm anxious that CLAMP would turn them into those melancholic counterparts. Sakura and Syaoran in CCS as I remember them, were fun and exciting. And I was so relieved when I first see Sakura in Clear Card that she's not getting the TRC treatment, but then Syaoran appeared and I see the sad TRC Syaoran.
That's why I appreciated it very much when both of them were making funny reaction to Yamazaki's fake histories. Other than that, Syaoran seems to me like making too much effort to appear melancholic cool than being his fun self.
I suppose there's gonna be explanations later on, I wouldn't mind it that much if it's balanced by more of their usual quirks, like Touya or Sakura.
Well, I think Eriol also is getting this treatment.
Collectonian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:00 am Reply with quote
It's interesting to see others are finding Syaoran seemingly unemotional or melancholic. I'd presumed his reticence and seeming reservation had more to do with his knowing his lying to his beloved Sakura, most likely heavy concerns of whether she will forgive him in the end, and whatever the big "it" is that seems to have Eriol, Syaoran, and even Touya looking so sad about what's happening.

I can see why some feel that the cards so far is repetitive and just a return to formula, but to me, it seems like a clear progression of Sakura's magic.

Clow Arc - Sakura learning of her magical abilities, partnering with the key wand Clow made for her and using them to tame Clow's run away cards.

Sakura Arc - Sakura growing in her power and making Clow's cards and key wand her own.

Clear Card arc - Sakura fully owning her magic and now creating her own wand and cards that have no tie to Clow's magic; it would make sense that the first would subconciously be powered up versions of her favorites/most used Clow Cards.

I know being CLAMP the series could go a lot of ways, and I'm just hoping the current hints are leading to something heartbreaking like spoiler[if the Clear Cards being Sakura's final step to standing on her own magic, that it would mean she will have to low Yue, and possibly Kero, as they would then be the last part of Clow's magic that she is holding on to.]
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

Even though the episode more or less stuck to the usual formula, it foreshadowed future developments. I assume the series will have an overarching narrative, but after watching this episode I realized that CCS is comfort food for me, and I am happy watching Sakura interact with her family, friends and magic beings.
pauladls

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Every episode look the same, it's repetitive
StarFan13

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:02 pm Reply with quote
So the Bunny's name is Momo?

Last edited by StarFan13 on Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
SilvaStreamer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:31 am Reply with quote
Slow and hollow like last week's filler EP but the reveal of Momo, Akiho's pet plushie toy was the main highlight of this week. The capture of Record wasn't that interesting.

Hopefully we get back to more action packed episodes next week.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:20 am Reply with quote
I have expected this to be formulaic and repetitive each episode, just as I remembered the first CCS more or less. It would be great if it'd break the usual formula and do something more unpredictable storytelling-structure-wise, but I'm content with this and even though I rated it like around 3-3.5 stars on average thus far due to the traditional repetitive storytelling, I really enjoyed it and look forward to the new episode every week. I have high hopes that the climax or ending someday would be at least interesting with revealed twists.

For now, I'd just enjoy the little foreshadowing scattered here and there, and be pleased everytime Sakura sealed a new card. If there's anything I expected more, I just hope that the card capturing would be more difficult and require more thinking/trick, the latest filler episodes especially didn't have that.

And I welcome Meiling's comeback. She's one of the few, if not the only one thus far, filler character that I approve and enjoy seeing a lot.
StarFan13

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Wait a moment 3D Printer, A Drome Are they New to this anime?
Showsni

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Ha, it's like they heard my queries about "how come Kero doesn't ask Spinel to talk to Eriol about the new cards if he's been texting him?" from earlier in the thread. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11