• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Is It Intimidating For Japanese Guests To Visit American Conventions?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:15 pm Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
Tetsuya Kikihara (Natsu), ... speaks English

Tetsuya Kakihara speaks decent English, and from what I understand, speaks fluent GERMAN. (he grew up in Germany)
WingKing

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:51 pm Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
jr240483 wrote:
Octonian wrote:
Minori Chihara was a guest at the NYC Anime Festival in 2010. She did a Q&A, a signing session (which sadly I didn't get to), introduced a screening of "The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya" and held a concert. So far as I could tell she seemed to be having a great time.

true, though its mainly cause she is well known. i mean both Nana Mizuki as well as TM Revolution have done appearances in the US and they don't speak an ounce of English.

i mean not every Japanese VA and singer can be extremely fluent to the language as with mari ijima who voiced both the Japanese and English dub for Lin Minmay for Super Dimension Macross. hell its possible she might be the only seriyuu that can speak English that well though i might be wrong about that (you can feel free to correct me if i am).

the only other seriyu's and/or singers that i believe can also speak English very fluently is probably the lead singer for that band that sang database for the Log Horizon Opening theme. But that theory isn't guaranteed since i thought maximum the hormone (who did OP 2 for Death Note ) could speak English, but it turned in an FCI Morning Eye interview that out none of them can! so just because a Japanese song have a lot of English texts in it, doesn't necessarily mean they can speak the language themselves.

You be surprised at the number of Seiyuu that can speak English. Aya Hirano is very fluent in English. Sayaka Ohara (Erza), Tetsuya Kikihara (Natsu), and Ayahi Takagaki speaks English (Ayahi learned as part of her opera training). I recall at least one member of AKB being flutent in English. There are several others.

In fact, some Seiyuu expressed a desire to learn English. Nana Mizuki mentioned she wanted to learn English when she was doing Carol King's Broadway play.

Also Kana Ueda has made some efforts at it - she's been over to the US several times (her most recent visits I'm aware of were at Evo 2014 in Las Vegas and SakuraCon in Seattle in 2015, both in connection with BlazBlue), and there was a mention that she had enrolled in conversational English classes ahead of her trip to Evo. She also briefly switched to English a few times when she was answering questions at her SakuraCon panel.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:41 am Reply with quote
Compelled to Reply wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
I know which was I mentioned that while they are outdated they're not wholly wrong either.

Yeah, well it shouldn't dissuade people anyway, unless authorities explicitly urge to avoid, like traveling to war-torn countries in the Middle East, or use caution every time there's a terrorist attack like clockwork in Western Europe.

It shouldn't, but it does.

Kadmos1 wrote:
For those wondering who the most freq. native Japanese guest at an Amer. anime con, it's probably Nabeshin.

Makes sense, really, as to my knowledge, Nabeshin loves western culture and loves to travel. He's also an extrovert, which I think is not so common in Japan.

crosswithyou wrote:
There's plenty to be intimidated about. Justin has mentioned a few, such as fear of flying and such, but when it comes down to it, the guest is largely NOT in control of what goes on around them. Sure, they (should) have a translator or some kind of liaison to help them, but if that person is not competent then it would be as if they're not there at all. If, for example, they have a subpar staffer translating their panel, they will start to wonder if that person is correctly relaying their words to the audience. I've seen bad interpreters before and the stress they can cause Japanese guests. The guest will start using simpler Japanese so that the interpreter can more easily understand, but that also means that the guest cannot answer the question the way they'd actually like to, or as thoroughly as they'd like. Because they are a guest in a foreign country, the guest may not feel comfortable communicating their wants or needs. Unless they are someone who travels a lot, they are basically a fish out of water.

There's also the fact that an interpreter is not a guide and certainly not a bodyguard. What they're good at (or supposedly good at) is translation on the fly. They are not necessarily also good at explaining the local culture and customs or keeping a guest out of trouble.

Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
What is this in reference to? US conventions get tons of voice actors, but domestic and international. It's not rare or unusual. The rare or unusual thing is the convention that doesn't feature this.

Well, except for the very small ones that don't have the money or the clout to get one. I don't really go to that many anime conventions besides AX, but I've been to some other conventions for other interests that are small. Like, as in with attendance in the low hundreds, or one whose Artist's Alley was literally just 3 booths.

Not sure how rare or unusual that is, but I see more of those around than the ones big enough to have at least one guest.

Now, what IS rare/unusual is that I've been to at least one convention that used to have guests, but the attendees were largely disinterested in them and didn't pay attention to them, and so they stopped having them. (This was because the convention's staff had largely marketed to people outside of the hobby that it's about, meaning that to the majority of the guests, they were people they'd never heard of and did things of no concern to them.)
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:05 am Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:

Also Kana Ueda has made some efforts at it - she's been over to the US several times (her most recent visits I'm aware of were at Evo 2014 in Las Vegas and SakuraCon in Seattle in 2015, both in connection with BlazBlue), and there was a mention that she had enrolled in conversational English classes ahead of her trip to Evo. She also briefly switched to English a few times when she was answering questions at her SakuraCon panel.

the problem is that not many people know about that. i mean I've been a diehard anime junkie since the days of guyver , mad bull 34 , akira , ninja scroll and urotsukidoji (i believed i have the name correct!) and not even i know that much and so doesnt a majority of the US fanbase.

for one thing most of them not named mari ijima and nana mizuki (who are well known to even newbies) haven't done interviews to sites like ANN while speaking english.

sure there are cons like those mentioned, but i have yet to hear any of them speak our language during the big named cons like Otakon , Anime Boston , Anime Expo , AnimeNext (who i was a staff member of back in 2005) and the New York Comic Con. and its due to that fact that many of us (myself included) who are massive hardcore otakus will probably wouldn't know that the numbers of japaneese singers and seriyus is very large than previously thought and isnt exclusively to well known seriyus like mari and nana.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WingKing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:44 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
WingKing wrote:

the problem is that not many people know about that. i mean I've been a diehard anime junkie since the days of guyver , mad bull 34 , akira , ninja scroll and urotsukidoji (i believed i have the name correct!) and not even i know that much and so doesnt a majority of the US fanbase.

for one thing most of them not named mari ijima and nana mizuki (who are well known to even newbies) haven't done interviews to sites like ANN while speaking english.

sure there are cons like those mentioned, but i have yet to hear any of them speak our language during the big named cons like Otakon , Anime Boston , Anime Expo , AnimeNext (who i was a staff member of back in 2005) and the New York Comic Con. and its due to that fact that many of us (myself included) who are massive hardcore otakus will probably wouldn't know that the numbers of japaneese singers and seriyus is very large than previously thought and isnt exclusively to well known seriyus like mari and nana.

Kana-sama is very well known to the global Fate fanbase, having voiced Rin Tohsaka for the past 15 years, but I brought her up more in the context of being another seiyuu who really seems to enjoy her visits to western countries - after doing some more lookup I found out she also attended Evo 2016 and Evo 2017, both times as a competitor rather than a guest (she's known to be an avid gamer, and Evo is the world's biggest e-sports fighting game tournament), and she was also a guest at Anime Weekend Atlanta last year, as well as at anime cons in Canada and Australia. Seven visits to English-speaking countries in the last four years is a lot for anyone from Japan. As far as the language thing goes she's nowhere close to fluent in English - having seen footage of her panels in Seattle and Atlanta she occasionally answers people with a sentence or two of English before going back to Japanese - but it's still something.
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Well, Miyu Irino embraced the idea of going overseas to study abroad last year. We know he was in America since he was at Anime Expo and he talked about Kingdom Hearts and buying a PS4 to play 2.8. He seemed to have a great time there and learned many things.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3