• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Erotic Manga Artist Who Left Company Describes Poor Pay, Rejection

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MetalEmolga

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:00 pm Reply with quote
ShironoKuro wrote:
MetalEmolga wrote:
It's ridiculous that someone that talented can have their work just dismissed while vastly inferior artists get published every day. I feel this is a case of cronyism.

Even as an erotic artist, art isn't everything to art like what you believe. Being a more detailed artist DOES NOT make you a better artist in general! In the modern world no one should demand anything as detailed as The Swing or Mona Lisa! Not saying to not express articulate designs. So yes, this guy is talented as heck! But don't dare say that other more popular work is "deficient" just because the art is not as "detailed" or too "simple". Even if defending this guy by lowering others works, do note that it takes more than just art alone in the comics industry. I wouldn't watch SAO because of the brilliant art, but the direction of story.

And no it's not a case of cronyism. It's a case of who's stronger, strongest in business.

Don't put words in my mouth. I never once said good art has to be detailed or story isn't important. But the fact still remains that lots of bad work that fails in every measurement of quality gets published while good artists are ignored.
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I've seen a lot of really amazingly drawn doujinshi, I've even seen doujins based on popular mangas, where the artstyle gets very close to the style of the original mangaka, sometimes is even cleaner than the original.
When I see drawings like that, i always wonder why talents like these stick to doujins and not drawing for a big magazine already.
Like for example the mangaka of Shokugeki no Souma managed to start drawing for shonen jump.
I don't mind them drawing lewd stuff, but I dont like how many of em never get the money and the attention they deserve.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:31 am Reply with quote
Narutofreak1412 wrote:
I've seen a lot of really amazingly drawn doujinshi, I've even seen doujins based on popular mangas, where the artstyle gets very close to the style of the original mangaka, sometimes is even cleaner than the original.
When I see drawings like that, i always wonder why talents like these stick to doujins and not drawing for a big magazine already.
Like for example the mangaka of Shokugeki no Souma managed to start drawing for shonen jump.
I don't mind them drawing lewd stuff, but I dont like how many of em never get the money and the attention they deserve.

This guy wasn’t living off of “doujins”. (People tend to confuse any erotic work as a doujin, but doujin is the Japanese equivalent of a zine, or self published work). This guy was publishing work in the largest erotic manga magazine, which are officially published works (think shonen jump for adults, but not as big in sales as SJ) much like the artist of food wars was doing before he got hired out for food wars. People don’t seem to understand, but there are manga magazines for EVERYTHING. He was working for one of the largest erotic publishers in Japan, and the fact that he was left in this state is horrible.

Erotic manga does sell, and the top artists usually do really well for themselves and some like it enough to keep doing nothing but erotic work. But the newcomers do not have an easy time, especially if they have crap editors/managers, and are easily taken advantage of.
nargun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Usagi-kun wrote:
The details in his posted drawing are incredible.

Sure. But! The anatomy isn't ideal:
+ her right leg is longer than her right [have a look at the angle of her pelvis, and then her knees], and her lower legs don't line up with her feet.
+ the base of her tail is unconvincing; the spine flows straight through to the tail, which means it'll form some sort of curve at the base, not a kink.
+ her lower back is too long
+ her upper back or neck is too long [have a look at the distance between her chin and her upper breasts]
+ her buttocks are wrong; they stick up too much, and the muscle anatomy at the base of the back isn't realised the same way as everywhere else, with some screen tone.
+ her nose is drawn too far to the left and makes it look bigger than is probably wanted.
+ the composition of the scattered whatsits to the right of the main panel is a bit... static? Looks like they're sitting on a surface rather than the flying-through-the-air they're supposed to [see the chips to the top left]
On the other hand [heh] the hands and feet are pretty good, and the panel layout is good considered statically [but I'd need a bigger sample to see how it works for storytelling purposes]. Generally it's pretty OK; needed a bit more work on the pencils before inking, but timelines being what they are... I'd also have some concerns about the time taken with the inking; the style's less labour-intensive than it looks, but not that much, and I don't know how much time the publishers budget for.

So the art's definitely publishable as-is, but there are specific improvements that could be made, legitimate critiques that should be made by any competent manga editor. Whether those were the critiques actually made, whether they were made properly and productively... hard to tell.
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:28 am Reply with quote
This would be resolved if he made public which editors said that and for which publisher said editors work.
But since the repercussions are heavy, authors understandably tend only to vent on social media.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3