• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: More Haruhi Suzumiya Auditions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rªdì¢âl_£Ð

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:08 pm Reply with quote
emory wrote:
Rªdì¢âl_£Ð wrote:
I also though that #4 was Jennifer Sekiguchi, not Stephanie Sheh.

They're the same person.

Really? I never figured that since I guess I didn't hear either of them enough to make that connection.

I always associated Jennifer Sekiguchi with that "nasally" voice and Stephanie Sheh with the high-pitch voice.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I went with #1. I felt like she had the most natural read...Yuki may not be an "ordinary human", but she shouldn't speak so haltingly, I think.

(I say this as someone who hasn't seen the anime yet, though)

#3's very good as well, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:24 pm Reply with quote
It was extremely hard for me to pick between number three and number one, so I played both of them at the same time to compare them better and decided on number three. Number three's voice sounds very natural in the role, but it sounds a bit like number one is trying just a little too hard to make her voice sound "cutesy."
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:32 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
Wonder how long we're going to have to wait to here Haruhi herself.

Kyon should be some good competition as well, don't you think? Wink
Oh I'm very interested in hearing Kyon auditions, but being a guy, I'm far more interested in Haruhi. Anime catgrin

It will be very interesting to see the types of voices they have for Kyon though. I honestly have no idea about who could pull off his part. He's got a very unique feel to him in the Japanese being both sarcastic and soothing in tone.

By the by, where are the VAs we've heard so far based? Are they mostly LA people or somewhere else?
Tabi Karasu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I choose 3
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I like 1 & 2, I ended up voting for 2. I thought 3 & 4 sounded too... robot like.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:22 pm Reply with quote
DELETE.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:27 pm Reply with quote
It was a close call for me as well between #1 and #3, and ended up going with number 3... but frankly, I don't completely approve of any of them. They all sounded way too old, I can't believe Mikuru's voice seemed so obvious when I heard it, but Yuki's is giving me pause? I didn't see that coming... I figured her voice would be the easiest...

I hope they do another round for Yuki with some new younger sounding talent, I wholeheartedly agree that Yuki sounded rather 'innocent' in the Japanese version. Methodical? Yes... but she sounded innocent, which none of these VAs did very well IMO. I think that is why her 'freakish winding speil' that came out in eps 3 was so unexpected, she didn't sound OR act like that sort of person.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Pronounciation can always be worked out later. (Remember, these are just auditons. Probably not a huge amount of practice going in.)

...Or so you'd hope. I've seen dubs where people said one name five different ways between the entire cast. Rolling Eyes

I ended up picking #1 because she sounded closest to the original and her saying Haruhi's name didn't sound as forced.
RZetlin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Can't the voice actresses pronounce Haruhi Suzumiya properly?

The original Japanese voice is a soft warm whisper.

#3 got the voice level right, but the tone is too hard.

#2 sounds too flaky.

#4 is not even a close match.

My vote goes to #1.
WraithAkaMrak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Wow... guess I'm one of the few that liked #4.
grooven

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I liked #1 the best...

I never knew you could pronounce Suzumiya wrong in so many ways ^-^" I hope they fix that kind of stuff.
hanachan01

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I voted number one. She sounded "foreign"spoiler[(if outer space is foreign)] and intelligent, yet innocent. Those are qualities that were in the Japanese actress. I also liked her reading better-it sounded more natural.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Since I spoiled myself before listening to the auditions, I had to temporalily abstain. Now that I know the full list o' choices, I decided to play it safe and pick #1. Yes, there's a bit of typecasting (Zephiris, Scrapped Princess), but you can't win 'em all, I guess.

The guy who dechiphered these things on the other site said he was disappointed at the lack of freshness of this group. I think the powers that be are trying to assemble an "All-Star Cast", so to speak getting familiar players instead of risking a flop of a newbie.

That being said, any vote for Stephen Jay Blum is a vote for Communism Razz
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Rªdì¢âl_£Ð wrote:

Really? I never figured that since I guess I didn't hear either of them enough to make that connection.

I always associated Jennifer Sekiguchi with that "nasally" voice and Stephanie Sheh with the high-pitch voice.

She's got excellent range. Like Kari Wahlgren, she seems to sound different in each role I hear her (though her voice becomes recognizable after a little while). Check her website at www.jenseki.com . It lists roles done under Sheh and other names.

Having had a chance to hear the clips, I do prefer #1 over #3 as far as those two are concerned. I am also one of the ones who liked #4, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9