• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Nearly 200,000 Fans Vote in AnimeJapan's 'Most Wanted Anime Adaptation' Poll

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:19 am Reply with quote
Robiii wrote:
This is just a female top 10 most wanted manga adaptions, can we get a male one too?

9 out of 10 of these series are aimed at men. This is a male-focused list.
Lenks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:54 am Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
Robiii wrote:
This is just a female top 10 most wanted manga adaptions, can we get a male one too?

Inuyasha is a shonen. Doesn't change the fact it has a very strong female fanbase.
hack5

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Horimiya,Komatta Toki ni wa Hoshi ni Kike,Acid Town,Saezuru Tori wa Habatakani and Please save my earth.Thank you.......if only.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:07 pm Reply with quote
hack5 wrote:
Horimiya

There are actually a few OVAs. Well, they're based on the original Hori-san to Miyamura-kun web manga rather than the serialised manga, but still.
tsuzushii

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:14 am Reply with quote
I'd love to see series like Darius Game, Cage of Eden or a full adaptation of Alice in Borderland being adapted.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:42 pm Reply with quote
i'm still hoping for a holyland anime someday...
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:49 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
Why do you think 9 of these series are aimed at men? While several of them are published in Shonen magazines that doesn't indicate anything since lots of manga published in Shonen magazines are aimed at women.
yeehaw

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:17 pm Reply with quote
T.Silver wrote:
That 8th place sounds pretty...disturbing.

My friend made me read it and it is disturbing.
Every chapter features a new guy and the murders are drawn from their female victims point of view, so it's like a self insert for people who want to get murdered? One chapter has the victim (that's you!) get her face sliced off by shouta Leather face and his brother and
apparently the number of people who thinks that's hot is enough to get it to 8th place!
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
While several of them are published in Shonen magazines that doesn't indicate anything since lots of manga published in Shonen magazines are aimed at women.

If it's published in a shounen magazine it's aimed at boys. They do keep in mind what appeal each title has with other demographics, and inevitably some turn out more popular with a secondary demographic than with the primary one, but they're still to begin with aimed at boys. If it's aimed at women, it'll be run in a josei magazine instead.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Chrono1000 wrote:
While several of them are published in Shonen magazines that doesn't indicate anything since lots of manga published in Shonen magazines are aimed at women.

If it's published in a shounen magazine it's aimed at boys. They do keep in mind what appeal each title has with other demographics, and inevitably some turn out more popular with a secondary demographic than with the primary one, but they're still to begin with aimed at boys. If it's aimed at women, it'll be run in a josei magazine instead.

...Except straight up otome game adaptations are being published in seinen magazines. Times are changing.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:51 am Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
...Except straight up otome game adaptations are being published in seinen magazines. Times are changing.

An exception to the rule does not disprove the rule.

Last edited by AmpersandsUnited on Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:00 am; edited 2 times in total
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:58 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
ninjamitsuki wrote:

An exception to the rule does not disprove the rule.

Well of course, but I am saying that there are exceptions, increasingly so in recent years.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:01 am Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
Well of course, but I am saying that there are exceptions, increasingly so in recent years.

I can't comment specifically without knowing what series you're talking about, but there are times where certain IPs attempt to market towards different demographic. For example, most Pocket Monsters manga run in magazines aimed at boys, but there were a few which ran in shoujo magazines that were more girl-focused. It's entirely possible those manga adaptions were aimed at a potential male audience for the franchise.
Super_M

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:45 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
ninjamitsuki wrote:

I can't comment specifically without knowing what series you're talking about, but there are times where certain IPs attempt to market towards different demographic. For example, most Pocket Monsters manga run in magazines aimed at boys, but there were a few which ran in shoujo magazines that were more girl-focused. It's entirely possible those manga adaptions were aimed at a potential male audience for the franchise.

Shonen Sport series have big female fan base for example Haikyuu and Kuroko no Basket have more female than male fans in Japan if we believe some poll. GFantasy is official shonen magazine but what I heard target girls. GFantasy have Black Butler and Hanako which win 5 place in that poll. Seinen magazine have 10dance manga about homo dancing. Personally I think publisher choose some seinen or shonen magazine to be more female friendly becouse what I heard female otaku increase in recent years and nearly all top magazine are either shonen or seinen. So instead of promoting shoujo or josei magazines publisher choose that shonen or seinen magazines have some series targeted at women. At least that my theory.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:36 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
ninjamitsuki wrote:

I uh, highly doubt Dance with Devils, iDOLM@STER SideM and Hypnosis Mic were trying to go for a male audience. Maaaaybe Touken Ranbu, though.

Not to mention Pokemon was never strictly a boys franchise, but rather, a general children's franchise, and now nostalgic adults are part of the target audience as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4