• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Angel Beats! Complete Collection

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:45 am Reply with quote
loka wrote:
For not being based around music, Angel Beats had far better music than K-On and Beck combined.
Like hell, that's bullshit. Agreed about K-ON, but AB's music is nowhere near as good as BECK's, which easily has the best band-made music out of any anime.

But anyway, about the actual show, watching it on TWC's Anime Network on Demand channel. For the most part, I've been joying it so far. I've gotta say that this show is funny AS F**K when it's on a roll(namely, that mentioned scene in the classroom during the tests). Like others have said, though, whenever this show tries to go all dramatic and emotional on you, I tune out. I don't feel those are executed very well, and I end up feeling practically nothing other than boredom. All just my opinion, though.

But all that withstanding, I'm still enjoying it so far. Hoping that I don't despise the ending as much as most others do.

Last edited by Sanosuke_Inara on Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:29 pm; edited 5 times in total
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:27 am Reply with quote
hmm does anyone know if key plans on releasing a visual novel for this series or is this the only ending that we are stuck with... if so eh i am used to them by now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ringking

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:37 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
hmm does anyone know if key plans on releasing a visual novel for this series or is this the only ending that we are stuck with... if so eh i am used to them by now.

If I remember correctly they were looking into the possibility of one and were going to make an announcement about it around the middle of the year (so, this month maybe?) Ill see if i can find the news story...

EDIT: Found it

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-11-21/key-head/maeda-working-on-possible-angel-beats-game[/quote]
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:55 am Reply with quote
Sigh, it's too bad they missed out on the Another Epilogue short, but I guess we can expect stuff like that from Sentai now unfortunately.

maaya wrote:
"Its excellent balance of music, humor, action, drama, and emotion"? Never thought anybody could feel that way about Angel Beats Shocked Indeed, it's always amazing how tastes (and perceptions) can differ.

lol, indeed. I'm one of those who greatly enjoyed it for those reasons so as I say, "It's all relative"
zensunni

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Fantastic review. I agree with it whole heartedly.

This show is in my top 15 of all time. The music, art/character designs, blend of comedy and drama, and emotional impact of the key scenes (pun intended) all combine to make a fantastic viewing experience. I was totally blown away by the ending and, unlike many people, had no trouble with the seeming paradox and felt that it explained many of the subtle inter-character relationship dynamics which had either confused or outright annoyed me as I watched the series. spoiler[I couldn't figure out why it seemed that Otonashi was falling for Kanade when I was thinking he should be falling for Yuri. By the end, I had a feeling of "Ohhhhh, now it makes sense!"]

As for the paradox issue, this is my take:
spoiler[The only reason Otonashi is in this bardo (buddhist limbo state) is because his presence is required for Kanade to move on. If he had arrived with his memories intact, he would have moved on immediately. Because of his personality, he was able to stay after regaining them because of his drive to help people. He was drawn to Kanade because she appeared to be staying for the same reason, to help people, even though she was misunderstood by the Battlefront members. The real reason she stayed... blew me away!]
The main reason I think people have issues with the "logic" of the show is that they are looking at this as a Christian Purgatory as opposed to a Buddhist bardo or "limbo state". I have read several stories that use this type of reincarnation system as part of their setting and had no problem with the concept. (For a really good one, I suggest Kim Stanley Robinson's "The Years of Rice and Salt".)

I am personally happy that the alternate epilogue is not included. I didn't like it, as the original epilogue tugs too hard at my heartstrings! spoiler[They deserve that next life together!]

I will have to try to find the manga and light novels mentioned by Megiddo! I would love more of the story!
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:12 pm Reply with quote
N.R. wrote:
I wish ANN would wait until the BD is out so we can get a full review of Angel Beats! I for once would like to know more than the story or impression of the story. Why doesn't ANN even touch things like the quality of U.S. DVDs/BD. . . Technical stuff are as important to us fans as is the story and visuals. Sorry for the rant, but it seems nobody actually pays attention to these things here on ANN, ever.

On the first point: the DVD version is what Sentai sent me, and this was considered a priority review, so I can only work with what I'm sent. If the Blu-Ray version does cross my path in the near future then I'll amend the above review to include details specific to it.

On the second, bolded point: sorry, but you're outright wrong here. Most of our reviews of Blu-Rays do include the technical details you ask about.

zensunni wrote:
As for the paradox issue, this is my take:
spoiler[The only reason Otonashi is in this bardo (buddhist limbo state) is because his presence is required for Kanade to move on. If he had arrived with his memories intact, he would have moved on immediately. Because of his personality, he was able to stay after regaining them because of his drive to help people. He was drawn to Kanade because she appeared to be staying for the same reason, to help people, even though she was misunderstood by the Battlefront members. The real reason she stayed... blew me away!]
The main reason I think people have issues with the "logic" of the show is that they are looking at this as a Christian Purgatory as opposed to a Buddhist bardo or "limbo state". I have read several stories that use this type of reincarnation system as part of their setting and had no problem with the concept.

This nicely complements and completes what I explained in my earlier post; in fact, it fits so well that I'm certain it's what was intended and it should shut down any further reasonable complaints about that supposed plot hole. Yeah, Purgatory was not the most accurate word to use, but I was unsure of the correct Buddhist term and figured that more people would understand that reference anyway. Looking at the reincarnation aspect from a purely Buddhist perspective should also put to rest the "double jeopardy" concern raised by an earlier poster.

Quote:
I am personally happy that the alternate epilogue is not included. I didn't like it, as the original epilogue tugs too hard at my heartstrings! spoiler[They deserve that next life together!]

Agreed.

chichiri_chan wrote:
Just one thing I thought I should point out about the review. Unless the openings are different from the Japanese releases, there wasn't any need for Sentai to sub the names in the openings. If you look closely, the names are written in light pastels in English underneath the more darkly colored Japanese names. If you're watching the blu-ray on your computer or a nice TV, you can see them just fine.

I looked again using the DVDs, and I could just barely make them out for some of the characters, and that was only if I got up close to the screen. (And I have a TV with an HD-caliber resolution.) If you're watching from a reasonable viewing distance then you're unlikely to see them on the DVD version.

And to be clear what we're talking here, chichiri_chan is referring to "undearneath" in the sense that the Japanese names in the speaking bubbles are overlaid on the English names.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Ringking wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

If I remember correctly they were looking into the possibility of one and were going to make an announcement about it around the middle of the year (so, this month maybe?) Ill see if i can find the news story...

EDIT: Found it

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-11-21/key-head/maeda-working-on-possible-angel-beats-game
[/quote]

thanks for the heads up man.. hmm well I am busy playing little busters and cross channel so If they do make a game I would be on of the few in line to buy it.
immortalrite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Yeah, Purgatory was not the most accurate word to use, but I was unsure of the correct Buddhist term and figured that more people would understand that reference anyway. Looking at the reincarnation aspect from a purely Buddhist perspective should also put to rest the "double jeopardy" concern raised by an earlier poster.
I would have actually considered this a legitimate possibility were it not for the fact that there is no Purgatory, at least as it is presented in the series, in Buddhism. Rather, the Buddhist "equivalent" of Purgatory is simply the act of being reincarnated into the world of Samsara until one finally "gets it right," becomes awakened, and is able to achieve Nirvana. It seems that Angel Beats, however wants to have spoiler[both Purgatory AND Reincarnation, while at the same time dispensing with either Heaven or Nirvana. As a spiritual person, I suppose what bothered me the most was not the apparent religious syncretism per se (of which we can see bits in Wolf's Rain and Haibane Renmei as well), but rather the notion that life on Earth, and not the attainment of Heaven or Nirvana, is seen as the final Good of human existence.] I hope that made some more sense of the whole "double jeopardy" thing.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I don't think the creators of Angel Beats! were trying too hard to hew faithfully to any particular afterlife belief system thus any gripes that the plot seems to conflict with a particular A.B.S. seem pointless. They created their own little world with its own little rules.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I think I gave this two episodes and I didn't care about anybody among the show's too-large cast during that time. Maybe I stopped before it really took off.....
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:24 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
I think I gave this two episodes and I didn't care about anybody among the show's too-large cast during that time. Maybe I stopped before it really took off.....

Probably not. if you weren't inboard by the end of episode 2, then I don"t think you'll ever be.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty intrigued by this series. I liked the opening a lot and using that as a grounds for choosing series has been embarrassingly reliable in the past. The premise is a little interesting as well. I think, however, that my superficial impressions lead me to expect a somberer, more melancholy mood than Angel Beats! in fact has. I also instantly spotted a potential problem in the magnitude of the cast shown in the credits. They seemed like they might thin characterization in the series out by the sheer number of characters to handle in time available.

Frankly, its sheer divisiveness makes me interested. Fortunately, some comments suggest that only a few episodes are needed to get an impression of the series, so if I get a chance to legally sample the series, my standard 3-episode 'acid test' should suffice.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
GWOtaku wrote:

Probably not. if you weren't inboard by the end of episode 2, then I don"t think you'll ever be.

Nah, I'd suggest going through episode 3 before deciding on dropping it or not. That's where the first emotional hit can kick in, and that's where I think the true nature of the story - and, by extension, what really defines the series - kicks in.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Nah, I'd suggest going through episode 3 before deciding on dropping it or not. That's where the first emotional hit can kick in, and that's where I think the true nature of the story - and, by extension, what really defines the series - kicks in.
I'm gonna 2nd this. First episode was fine, but didn't do much for me in the long run. 2nd episode was funny enough, but I didn't react have much of an emotional reaction to spoiler[Yuri's past] at all, but I thought 3rd was good, mainly because spoiler[I connected with the guitar chick pretty quickly, and was kinda bummed when she got obliterated.] So far, though, that's the only time I've had much of a reaction to the emotional stuff in this show, but the next couple of eps(5 especially) being funny as f**k kept me really entertained. Really didn't enjoy #6, though, since it played the heartstring card again and did so very poorly, imo.

This just reminded me that episode 7 got put up on the ANoD TV channel today. Shocked Gonna go give it a watch.

Last edited by Sanosuke_Inara on Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:00 pm; edited 3 times in total
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed Angel Beats!, although I felt it really need a few more episodes to more effectively tell it's story. A few of the emotional moments didn't quite grab me as much as intended purely because there wasn't enough time devoted to developing certain relationships spoiler[Yui/Hinata etc.]
I'd still give it an 8-8.5/10 but being a big fan of other Key properties I was hoping for a little more.
I also absolutely adored the music enough to import all the CD's.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5