• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Film Delayed Due to COVID-19 Concerns

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I think people in this thread need to get a greater sense of priorities about people’s well being right now.
dragon695

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:44 pm Reply with quote
At this point, I want to see it released so that maybe, just maybe we might get something fresh out of Anno.
Greboruri

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:04 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
I suppose, but I think it's quite telling that Anno would rather work on Shin Godzilla.

What, that a tokusatsu tragic such Anno was given the opportunity to direct Godzilla, he took up the offer?
Millennial Anime Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Man the Evangelion franchise has had a long history of troubled productions and delays. I keep hearing rumors that every time Anno works on Evangelion he gets depressed and that's what causes the delays. Maybe Anno doesn't really know how to wrap up the story in a complete satisfying way? The last movie came out in 2012 eight years ago and I'm sure that interest in the franchise has died down since then. Sure there was an interest once Netflix got the rights to the original anime series, but after people heard the new dub interest died down again.

I would rather have an HD remaster of the original anime series and The End of Evangelion. However there's a few problems here one being if Gianax/Khara will EVA to be remastered in the first place.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:35 pm Reply with quote
[quote="jdnation"]
GeorgeC wrote:
With all the delays, does ANYONE care if this film releases anymore?!?

I would much rather get an authorized Blu ray release of the original Neon Genesis Evangelion TV series with the original English dub plus the compilation films AND End of Evangelion than wait for the last of the reimagined quartet films by this point.

The delays killed most of the interest in the film series aside from questionable screenwriting.

Yes, many of us still care, thanks. Classic original DVD set owning fan here and I've been digging the Rebuilds, yes, even 3.0 whose abrupt direction I found most interesting, so I'm dying to see 4.0.

Same here. In my opinion, Hideaki Anno could take the easy way by remaking the original TV series as it is and could've finished the movie series, like 5 years ago. Instead he decided to turn the plot to different direction which I think is a bold move.

I bought Japanese Blu ray box release of Evangelion TV+Movie when I went to Tokyo 3 years ago. To me, people who constantly complain about delayed release of Evangelion 4.0 are so rushed and entitled. I'm grateful that Anno is doing okay and still able to think and work on the movie. What if he has terminal illness or physically incapable of making films? That would be truly scary.

@GeorgeC
Making film is never easy, especially original creation. In my opinion, what do you complainers know about pain of making a personal art? Did you even bother to write or imagine a plausible fan fiction to satisfy your craving temporarily? Evangelion being the art that exposed Anno's soul to the world, the remake is never easy project for him. If things are that easy, then he could've finished it years ago by having dozen writers in Hollywood fashion.

With COVID-19 going around, I'm thankful that he and his staffers are not affected by it.
Sailor Star Dust

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Yes, Anno fell into horrible depression after Eva Q/3.0, so when given the chance to do Shin Godzilla, he took it. And yep, Anno's showing his love for sci fi books like any other of his ending titles, once more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrice_Upon_a_Time (though it'll have interesting meta for the Rebuilds, I'm sure).

dragon695 wrote:
At this point, I want to see it released so that maybe, just maybe we might get something fresh out of Anno.

On tap for Anno after this in 2021 (assuming the virus situation gets better) is Shin Ultraman, which should be interesting, IMO.

It's also quite amusing to me with the ending direction of FF7 Remake considering how meta and "wacky" the Eva Rebuilds have been, but I'll happily embrace whatever changes in my favorite works, as long as they still tell an interesting story.
Kyo Hisagi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I really don't care if this film gets released or not.
I'm a huge Eva fan and own all of DVDs and volumes but I better re-read original story or re-watch it as the original show+EoE.
This movie should have came out ages ago, not when all hype died like 40 times. Lets be honest, 2.22 and 3.33 were not THAT good. Not even close. Trailer for 4.44 didn't buy me at all.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:27 am Reply with quote
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:06 am Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Wasnt one of the movies (possibly this one) delayed because Anno worked on Shin Godzilla?

I suppose, but I think it's quite telling that Anno would rather work on Shin Godzilla.

I'd have more respect for him if he first completed this Rebuild project, finally ending his new Evangelion story once and for all, and then moved on to other types of productions, rather than simply dragging it out and pretending that's normal.

I'm pretty sure I recall Anno saying in an interview that working on Eva was so psychologically taxing for him he decided to take on Shin Godzilla to freshen up and recharge. Megumi Ogata (Shinji's VA) has also mentioned how much voicing Shinji affected her mental health. I'd rather wait a while longer to see a movie than have its creators destroy their mental health to put it out faster, but maybe that's just me.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:55 am Reply with quote
Are movie theaters in Japan even open right now? During the national state of emergency, with quarantine and all? What exactly they should do beside delaying it? This is a theatrical realese not Netflix. Nobody in their right mind would go risking themselves of getting fined or infected for a movie.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:27 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

I'm pretty sure I recall Anno saying in an interview that working on Eva was so psychologically taxing for him he decided to take on Shin Godzilla to freshen up and recharge. Megumi Ogata (Shinji's VA) has also mentioned how much voicing Shinji affected her mental health. I'd rather wait a while longer to see a movie than have its creators destroy their mental health to put it out faster, but maybe that's just me.

I would like to read that interview for myself.

As far as we know, nobody forced Hideaki Anno to come back to Evangelion in the first place. He made that decision by himself and even wrote, way back at the start of this project, a very ambitious declaration about his intentions.

Again, it's not only about a particular movie getting moved once or twice. That happens. We are literally taking about multiple years of delays between four different films. That sounds like procrastination and a failure of production management.

If Hideaki Anno needed to take a short break or go to therapy, there's been plenty of time to do that. It doesn't explain everything, unless his current life is an absolute wreck. Is that the argument here?

This isn't an ongoing TV series schedule where the staff needs to work every single day of the week until a live broadcast is completed. Objectively speaking, it shouldn't take more than ten years in order to finish this task. I am sure it'll be an interesting final movie, one way or another, but I don't think the process should be above and beyond criticism.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Honestly I'm not sure why fans are so upset about this movie being delayed when everyone seems determined to already prejudge it and is already ready to hate on it before it's even out. It's ok to just admit that you're burned out on Eva and move onto other shows.
Greboruri

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Meongantuk wrote:
Are movie theaters in Japan even open right now? During the national state of emergency, with quarantine and all? What exactly they should do beside delaying it? This is a theatrical realese not Netflix. Nobody in their right mind would go risking themselves of getting fined or infected for a movie.

This is what I don't get. Both the Toho and T-Joy cinema chains are shut nationwide as well as all independent cinemas. All other anime films are being delayed. The film is exactly in the same position as other films scheduled for release now and into summer. I don't understand what people want them to do. Project the film on a random wall somewhere?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:31 am Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
CrowLia wrote:

I would like to read that interview for myself.

As far as we know, nobody forced Hideaki Anno to come back to Evangelion in the first place. He made that decision by himself and even wrote, way back at the start of this project, a very ambitious declaration about his intentions.

Here's an article about his comments on the Evangelion website: https://soranews24.com/2015/04/02/evangelion-creator-hideaki-anno-opens-up-about-his-latest-bout-with-depression-movie-delays/

Of note:
Quote:
…after [Eva 3.0] was released, I was broken. I fell into what’s called a depressive state, the natural result of having spent six years grinding down my soul making Eva again.

He also says that it was thanks to his wife and friends that he was able to "remain in this world" (that's his words), possibly implying he had suicidal thoughts.

Here's the original post on the website
https://www.evangelion.co.jp/news_20150401.html

In that same post, he says that, at the time, he was feeling that he needed to work on something else that wasn't Eva or he wouldn't be able to keep going forward and that's when he was approached by Toho with the Shin Godzilla project.

nightjuan wrote:
If Hideaki Anno needed to take a short break or go to therapy, there's been plenty of time to do that.

As we all know, all brains work the same way, deep depression can be easily solved by just going for a bit of therapy, and after you've quickly fixed that little insignificant problem, you can just go back to do the thing that got you into that state to begin with right away.

Seriously, how entitled can you be that you'd slam down an artist for prioritizing his mental health -possibly his own life- over getting you your movie faster.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:52 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

Quote:
…after [Eva 3.0] was released, I was broken. I fell into what’s called a depressive state, the natural result of having spent six years grinding down my soul making Eva again.

He also says that it was thanks to his wife and friends that he was able to "remain in this world" (that's his words), possibly implying he had suicidal thoughts.

Thanks for providing the information, but that just raises more questions. If working on Evangelion after all these years, way past when the TV series ended, hurts his soul to the point of suicide, then why did he choose to make four films instead of only one or two? It sounds like either highly irresponsible or self-destructive to willingly throw himself at this.

Honestly, he could have taken a backseat at the first sign of serious trouble and let one of his old friends (outside of those who screwed him over the financials, of course) or close collaborators at Studio Khara assume more of a leading role in the production of this final film and simply remain as a general supervisor or creative lead. If you can't delegate even when it would be objectively better for your own mental health, then nobody else is to blame.

Quote:
In that same post, he says that, at the time, he was feeling that he needed to work on something else that wasn't Eva or he wouldn't be able to keep going forward and that's when he was approached by Toho with the Shin Godzilla project.

I would also be far more interested in seeing Hideaki Anno work on more non-Evangelion projects. That's a big part of why I want this whole Rebuild saga to end once and for all, rather than letting an unfinished task hang around like an albatross on his neck. All of this has been the result of his decision to open the can of worms again.

Quote:
As we all know, all brains work the same way, deep depression can be easily solved by just going for a bit of therapy, and after you've quickly fixed that little insignificant problem, you can just go back to do the thing that got you into that state to begin with right away.

Seriously, how entitled can you be that you'd slam down an artist for prioritizing his mental health -possibly his own life- over getting you your movie faster.

This is getting close to a fallacy of reduction to absurdity. Not talking about a quick therapy visit.

My argument is that individuals with psychological problems should seek professional help and, at the same time, not overly commit to complex projects that will only hurt them. But, if they have already made those commitments, then they should be able to delegate responsibility to others and finish them. Why are millions of people anxious to see the last film after waiting all the way from 2012 to 2020 (or 2021) for this? Because Studio Khara and Hideaki Anno hyped them up for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4