• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Prime Video Lists New English Dub Cast for 1st 3 Rebuild of Evangelion Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arbalisk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Im glad they got og cast for the English dub and manage to attain the main cast at least for the Spanish dub too. Now hopefully Anno doesn’t get involved too much with translating the English dialect. Im still holding my breath for a theatrical release in North America. I want to see the last film on the big screen, IMAX preferably.
Arbalisk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
I wonder why they just tried to dub the Rebuild the movies in Mexico with the same cast as the Netflix dub which had a mix of voices from the 90s and 00s dub.
It's amazing how Shinji's LA voice actor, Victor Ugarte, has managed to voice Shinji in all his appearances.

I think the consensus has been that it has been much cheaper to hire voice actors in Argentina than in Mexico. But im assuming the company Amazon hire to do the Spanish dub did the homework. Realized that replacing an entire cast like other productions companies have done such with with Dragon Ball Kai and Yashahime, would result in a backlash and less acceptance of a new cast. It was better not to replace the more popular characters with new voice actors. I really wanted to see this film in Mexico Cinépolis in 4dx.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I never found the new cast to be bad in their roles, but I'm glad that the voices that got me into the franchise are back. Kinda stinks for people that were big fans of the new actors but at this point, modern Eva is a franchise with a very rotating cast for product released.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Well shit-let's re-dub it another time just for the fudge of it. What a bunch of bullshit-there's so many other obscure anime series and movies that have never been dubbed and royally deserve one, goddamn waste of precious resources if you ask me.
Erufailon4

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:36 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
JintoLin wrote:
Those 240+ countries already streaming the first three movies don't seem to include Canada, at least I can't find them on Prime. I hope that's not the case for 3.0 + 1.01. Crying or Very sad

Not on Amazon US either. All I can see when searching Evangelion on the Prime Video app is a placeholder for 3.0 + 1.0 when it comes out on August 13. That’s weird the movies seem to be streaming nearly worldwide already except in North America.

They're not available anywhere outside of Japan yet. ANN's article has a mistake. Amazon has pretty much confirmed they'll debut worldwide alongside 3.0+1.01 on the 13th.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:49 pm Reply with quote
While I am disappointed about Trina being recast, I can kinda understand since her partner is going through chemo treatment or something along those lines at the moment.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:56 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
Well shit-let's re-dub it another time just for the fudge of it. What a bunch of bullshit-there's so many other obscure anime series and movies that have never been dubbed and royally deserve one, goddamn waste of precious resources if you ask me.

I understand the sentiment, though more rationally those more obscure titles wouldn't be any more likely to get dubbed even if these redubs never existed. Still you're absolutely right that this is getting ridiculous, with streaming services locking down their own dubs and forcing redubs if they're picked up for physical release by someone else. And that's not even counting the series locked away on streaming with seemingly no chance at a physical release. I'm at the point where I feel like the big boys getting involved in distribution was one of the worst things that could have happened to the domestic anime scene.

The people I feel bad for in all of this are FUNi. For my money they did a great job with the first two Rebuild films, and then they got screwed over all because a Khara exec who didn't understand American movie audiences threw a hissy fit. I am so incredibly tired of Japanese execs excessively meddling in overseas distribution when they have no sense of how those markets operate. It's given us everything from Aniplex of America to the 3.33 mess to all sorts of reverse-importation panic.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Hooray. I get to rewatch the entire Goddamn thing again.

The last hurdle keeps getting further away.

Tbh I'm surprised they didn't just get the cast from Invincible to do it while in studio. Imagine Steven Yuen as Shinji and JK Simmons as Gendo.

Seth Rogen as Toji?
KaidoYuji8Shinji

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I for one am incredibly happy to see the cast. I grew up with this cast from ADV and originally got into EVA with the dub. I think funi did a great job with the first three. I’m ok with the redub on amazon.
Questions:
Is Amazon using 1.11? 2.22? 3.33? 3.0+1.01?
I’m hoping they use those.
I really also hope these also come on blu ray or maybe even 4K someday!?
Still waiting on the SERIES blu ray….
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I feel like at this point unless you need dubs for some reason the best and simplest and most straightforward way to watch Evangelion is stick to the sub. You really can't beat Megumi Ogata, Megumi Hayashibara, Yuko Miyamura, and Kotono Mitsuishi.

Quote:
Now hopefully Anno doesn’t get involved too much with translating the English dialect. Im still holding my breath for a theatrical release in North America. I want to see the last film on the big screen, IMAX preferably.
it's still Dan Kanemitsu doing the translation.
Akamaru_Inu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Silly question, I thought there was a 4th movie (the one that came out in Japan this year); that's 3.0+1.1/Thrice Upon A Time, right? So do I have to watch 3.33/You Can (Not) Redo before I watch Thrice Upon A Time or can I watch Thrice Upon A Time instead of You Can (Not) Redo after watching the first two? The numbering confuses me. I only ever watched the first one right when it came out in the US and haven't touched any of the Rebuild films ever again because I forgot about them.

But WOO old dub voices! I couldn't get into the new Netflix dub, just sounded completely off to me.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Akamaru_Inu wrote:
Silly question, I thought there was a 4th movie (the one that came out in Japan this year); that's 3.0+1.1/Thrice Upon A Time, right? So do I have to watch 3.33/You Can (Not) Redo before I watch Thrice Upon A Time or can I watch Thrice Upon A Time instead of You Can (Not) Redo after watching the first two? The numbering confuses me. I only ever watched the first one right when it came out in the US and haven't touched any of the Rebuild films ever again because I forgot about them.

But WOO old dub voices! I couldn't get into the new Netflix dub, just sounded completely off to me.

Yes, you need to watch all 3 before seeing the newest one.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I feel like at this point unless you need dubs for some reason the best and simplest and most straightforward way to watch Evangelion is stick to the sub. You really can't beat Megumi Ogata, Megumi Hayashibara, Yuko Miyamura, and Kotono Mitsuishi.

I would say that the best way to appreciate a foreign work is to listen it in its original language, but I say that dubs are important in order to reach a wide audience, I have many friends that only watch subs and others who like dubbed movies because they don't like to read subtitles. In the case of movies, I usually watch them first with subs and then I listen to the dub, I went to see The Suicide Squad in Neutral Spanish and the voice acting was very good. Maybe it's because I live in South America and most of the foreign media I consumed came dubbed, but I really appreciate the work our voice actors do. Also, people can be very attached to a dub version, just recently here in Lat Am people went nuts when Disney announced that most of the original cast for The Simpsons will return for season 32 after being replaced in season 15. That's why at least I'm happy that for the Spanish dub for Eva they managed to bring back Shinji, Rei, Asuka and Mari voices.
Kusakabe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I don't think this needs to be a versus situation. It's very cool that most of the Manga actors get a chance to close out these characters that they helped originate. The Netflix cast got to do everything from the original series, they did a pretty great job too, but the situation sucked for the legacy cast and it would have doubled sucked if Spike, Allison and Tiffany didn't even get a chance to finish the quadrilogy of films they started dubbing.

I feel for Brina and Trina in this situation, who brought allot to the characters in the Funimation Rebuild dubs but considering Amanda Winn Lee's situation as to why she didn't reprise the roles the first time, I think she deserved this second chance to do this. I hope Trina isn't too hurt though. I'm sure allot of the returning actors from End of Evangelion never thought they'd get another shot at these roles. This is exciting stuff.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:12 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I would have preferred the VSI/Netflix cast. Spencer and Grant still play their characters like broad stereotypes, and Mongillo and McKeon don’t.

It looks like I’ll just be watching the movies in Japanese. I hope GKids doesn’t do this with their release of the series.

On the other hand the stilted-ass script doesn’t really help the latter any better I mean.

Glad majority of the cast is returning. I’ve already watched all prior 3 movies dubbed so that’s good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5