• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Aim for the Ace!, GaoGaiGar Series & Final OVA

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:16 pm Reply with quote
JustMonika wrote:
If I had a dime for every Disctek post that fails to announce the release of the Konosuba Movie, I'd be so rich by now, lol

Same. I've been looking for a physical release of it and the Strike The Blood OVA's for months, but still nothing for either series.

On the positive side, I'm very excited to get the recent(ish) Fist of the North Star movies. Those have been on my wish list for awhile as well.

Last edited by Akcoll99 on Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Discotek Media also licensed the live-action Another horror film

People's mileage will obviously vary--especially for those who are just biased against Japanese live-action adaptations of anime--but all things considered I thought this was a decent film version of the story. The deaths can be as unintentionally silly as the anime, but the relationships between Koichi and Mei and his aunt were well depicted, leading to an ending that differed from the anime but leaves a nice effect in the movie. It also offers just enough explanation to lend a bit more believability on why some mysterious elements remain a mystery for as long as they did. Then again, I actually like most Japanese live-action adaptations--something has to be really bad for me to think of it as such, and Another isn't it.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The English-subtitled release of Digimon Adventure will release "later" in 2023 on Blu-ray Disc

If the subs are actually accurate to the JP dialogue without any English dub terminology then this is awesome because people need to watch Digimon in Japanese. It is an amazing experience that I consider a masterpiece. And if this happens, they need to get Digimon Adventure and Bokura no War Game. These masterpiece movies were wrongfully butchered in their original Western releases. On top of that, they were combined with the 02 movie. Correct the sins of the past please.

If all of that happens, then its too bad it won't happen for Pocket Monsters.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:11 pm Reply with quote
well it took them long enough to finally re release gaogaigar
mrsatan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Are we going to get the uncut, subtitled version of Kinnikuman Nisei? The 4Kids Ultimate Muscle version kinda sucked.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:47 pm Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
Are we going to get the uncut, subtitled version of Kinnikuman Nisei? The 4Kids Ultimate Muscle version kinda sucked.

They said that it will depend on how well Ultimate Muscle sells, since original JP versions of kids shows like this haven't always performed, so they want to be more hesitant about them, which makes sense. Digimon Adventure will likely do OK, as will JP Shaman King, but I doubt Kyatto Ninden Teyandee or Monster Farm really did well for Discotek. It's likely why we haven't gotten Bistro Recipe or the Bakuten Shoot Beyblade trilogy, despite getting Fighting Foodons or dubbed Beyblade from them.
Mewzard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:41 pm Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:

Pretty sure it's going to be a case of "If Ultimate Muscle sells well, we'll do Kinnikuman Nisei".

I imagine stuff like Sonic X and Digimon getting good sales/pre-orders helps Discotek's decision to do Japanese releases.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Discotek slaying with these announements as usual. I just hope for 02 to be subbed as well cause it was on Crunchyroll the first year of legal streaming totally buying Digimon Adventure and Sonic X.

Ultimate Muscle and Shaman King was two of the best 4Kids shows outside of the Digimon franchise. Also took a liking to DoReiMi it would be interesting to see the original version.

I watched Treasure Island fansubbed a few years back I really liked the story and characters.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Please stop Discotek! My poor wallet can only take so much! Grabbing Sonic X, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman II and Project A-Ko 4 for sure. Strong maybe's on Treasure Island and Fist of the North Star films. You guys will have to convince me on Aim for the Ace!, GaoGaiGar, Saint Tail and Kamen Rider BLACK.

As for those like me waiting on Kodocha 2 they have said it is no longer in "translating hell" and is in now "editing hell". I found that both funny and sad.
wing-zero-strike

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I am SO here for Digimon Adventure, Saint Tail, GaoGaiGar, and Sonic X.

I've been waiting to own subtitled Digimon Adventure ever since young 10 year old me found episode comparisons and the original opening song online, after watching the dub on Fox Kids.

It's been a LONG wait, but I finally get to put my money where my mouth is. I just hope others do the same!
theNightster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I remember years ago mentioning that I would put out some money for an Ultimate Muscle release, thank you Discotek
1dbad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:44 pm Reply with quote
NeoStrayCat wrote:
Same, though more especially on the original TMM more. However, I'm practically thinking Sentai might also pick up the original, considering they have "New", but I'd rather that Discotek gets it so that they can have both (seperate) audio versions.

I imagine TMM is the likelier of the two after New coming out. I'd likewise prefer Discotek for a quality release and dub preservation. But Sentai getting it would be cool if they redubbed it. Just not sure how likely that is when they still have yet to confirm a dub for New...

Rob19ny wrote:
If the subs are actually accurate to the JP dialogue without any English dub terminology then this is awesome because people need to watch Digimon in Japanese.

I'm optimistic since Discotek seems to be doing their own translation instead of using the one Toei had on streaming services.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:31 am Reply with quote
Rob19ny wrote:

If the subs are actually accurate to the JP dialogue without any English dub terminology then this is awesome because people need to watch Digimon in Japanese. It is an amazing experience that I consider a masterpiece.
It depends on how much oversight Toei has over the Discotek release. Terms like "Digidestined" and "champion" and "mega" are not just terms from the English dub of the anime but they are the official translated terms Toei mandates for international releases like the card game and the previous sub releases Digimon has had through Shout Factory. It should be noted Digidestined itself is a canonical term in the Japanese version of the show that the Adventure 02 uses to refer to the international Chosen Children. If Toei insists Discotek has to use those terms, there's not much they can do about it.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:30 am Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
You guys will have to convince me on Aim for the Ace!, GaoGaiGar, Saint Tail and Kamen Rider BLACK.

Let me try for Aim for the Ace.

Do you like Gunbuster? Because it uses Ace as an inspiration and is a sort of parody.

Are you an Osamu Dezaki fan? Because it has all the earmarks of his best works.

Do you like the melodrama of classic shoujo like Dear Brother or '80s Glass Mask? Because Ace has the same flavor of high stakes drama.

Do you enjoy watching historically important shows? Because it set the standard for certain sport and shoujo shows for decades, and it still regularly shows up on "Best of" rankings for different Japanese websites and TV polls (despite being over 40 years old now).

Do you enjoy classic '70s shows that can be awkward viewed through a modern lens, but the characters are just so engaging you don't care? Because just like Yabuki Joe and his pig rides in juvie, Ace's Hiromi has her own eyebrow raising and memorable tribulations that are well worth the investment.

In particular, fans of Ashita no Joe (Tomorrow's Joe) and Dear Brother will probably very much enjoy Aim for the Ace. It's kinda like the two were rolled together into a much shorter show where Nanako is trained by Danpei to be the best tennis player, but Danpei is handsome and uses more questionable training techniques.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:49 am Reply with quote
^ You've convinced me. You had me at Tomorrow's Joe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4