• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: All the Winners of the 7th Annual Crunchyroll Anime Awards

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:26 am Reply with quote
I think Edgerunners deserved it, it was the most talked about series last year. But I'm surprised it didn't win for best character design, because they are incredible well drawn.
Kind of weird that they didn't divide the Main Character category into male and female. I would have chosen Loid Forger as best male MC and Chisato Nishikigi as best female MC.
Demon Slayer winning best animation and action doesn't surprise me.
And as a Spanish speaker I can understand why Alex Orozco won for his performance as Gyutaro, he did a great job in that role, very different from his usual tone of voice. Though I wanted Erika Langarica to win for her roles as Marin, Power and Yotsuba, last year was the one in which she began to stand out after several years of playing secondary and lesser known roles
Living_Apparition

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:38 am Reply with quote
I've seen Edgerunners and I didn't find anything Anime of the Year quality out of it. Still great though but my personal would definitely be Made In Abyss S2.
paulchaested

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:38 am Reply with quote
Not gonna lie, watching some of y’all get so pointlessly furious over a silly popularity contest is hilarious.
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:40 am Reply with quote
Not as bad in general, but AoT does not deserve most of these nominations (and a bit to much for Kimetsu too).
tywhoppity

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:56 am Reply with quote
Normies be eatin' good this year..... Wink
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I had hopes that Maid in Abyss season 2 could win at least one award. The again these awards are meaningless without the inclusion of Fall 2022.
Dnautics

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Haha, no surprise the heavily westernized Cyberpunk won anime of the year. That anime was surface level story telling and only around 10 episodes. Hey but if that's what y'all are in to eat it up!
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:36 pm Reply with quote
It just seems like they don’t respect shoujo fans, or fans of anything similar like Healer Girl (my AoTY).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Dnautics wrote:
Haha, no surprise the heavily westernized Cyberpunk won anime of the year. That anime was surface level story telling and only around 10 episodes. Hey but if that's what y'all are in to eat it up!

Laugh it up, fanboy.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I suppose it's not surprising Cyberpunk won. It was the one show even non-anime fans checked out due to the name recognition and branding.

Connor Dino wrote:
Why did they get rid of Best Boy and Best Girl?

If I had a guess. maybe they felt it was dimunative/sexist. If Crunchyroll wants to target the mainstream then they probably felt it needed to go and wouldn't fit with mainstream sensibilities.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:44 pm Reply with quote
The fact that Chikichiki Banban did not win Best Opening Sequence not only invalidates every other result in this year's Crunchyroll Anime Awards, but it retroactively renders false all results from the previous six award shows and will render moot all results for future Crunchyroll Award shows going forward in perpetuity. This is a reasonable, common sense and objectively true statement that cannot be denied or debated.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see Call of the Night on here a couple of times!
PipimiOden

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:57 pm Reply with quote
i forgot about the anime awards lol
WhoDatPokemon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:11 pm Reply with quote
paulchaested wrote:
Not gonna lie, watching some of y’all get so pointlessly furious over a silly popularity contest is hilarious.

I agree but I also think that it can be fun to argue about this kind of stuff as long as you're aware of it.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:59 pm Reply with quote
WhoDatPokemon wrote:
paulchaested wrote:

I agree but I also think that it can be fun to argue about this kind of stuff as long as you're aware of it.

Things like this often make me aware that some titles won't be getting the recognition they deserve anytime soon. One franchise that deserves a lot better (and more licenses) is Pretty Cure, and seeing that Delicious Party Pretty Cure didn't even get nominated makes the future of licensing look not so good. I'm not losing hope, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5