• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Heavenly Delusion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aerdra

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 9:40 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Well I'm impressed, it's not often the hippie people who oppose civilization are the bad guys while the science people are the good guy.

I think it was shown that the anti-civilization hippies were being used, and the pro-civilization scientists(?) that infiltrated them were the real bad guys.

I do appreciate the way this arc unfolded though. The protagonists first hear only the Liviuman perspective on the situation. But as they investigate, they start to realize that what they were told doesn't quite add up. Then they meet Usami and see what the so-called Immortal Order is actually doing. Finally, only the audience finds out what's really happening with Liviuman, foreshadowing future antagonists.
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 10:42 am Reply with quote
Deleted an ad.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 10:57 am Reply with quote
Theozilla wrote:
tintor2 wrote:
The torture scene was insane but I kinda wonder why Kiruko was the only affected.

Also, even with the gender twist, it really seems Maru likes his companion. Wonder if there are plans for a second cour considering the official site already confirmed the series will be divided in two blurays.

Presumably it's because only Kiruko stared directly into the eyes of the Man-Eater that was in its near-death stasis. Maru didn't so he was unaffected.

For those interested in reading along with the manga, Episode 7 adapted all of chapters 18 and 19, and the first 13 pages of chapter 20 (13/32 pages), which is about 2.41 chapters worth of manga. With this first season being planned to adapt up to about chapters 34-37 of the manga, the pacing of the remaining 6 episodes will on average range from about ~2.43-2.93 chapters adapted per episode.

If anyone was confused as to why Maru was “kissing” Kiruko when the latter was hallucinating in today’s episode, according to an interview Masakazu Ishiguro (the mangaka of the series) gave in August 2022 (published in a recently released Heavenly Delusion guidebook), Maru was attempting to induce unconsciousness on Kiruko (by way of suffocation) in order to break them out of their hallucination. As for why Maru didn’t use his hands instead (to cover Kiruko’s nose and/or mouth), I can only guess Maru had to use both his hands to restrain Kiruko from flailing about when they were hallucinating (and Doylistically I also assume Ishiguro simply just wanted to write a scene that involved a “wake-up kiss” between Kiruko and Maru).

Also one small difference between the English subtitle translation (and dub) and the official English manga translation, when Maru was thinking about Kiruko’s current demeanor/mood, in the anime Maru uses she/her pronouns when referring to Kiruko, while in the manga Maru uses they/them pronouns. This is likely only an issue/discrepancy that exists for the English translation, as in Japanese (gendered) third-person pronouns aren’t really a thing like they are in English.

With the way things are going, it wouldn't be out of the question that they'll announce another set of episodes to cover more of the manga, correct? Because unless they come up with an ending that closes out the anime without follow-up beyond "read the rest of the Manga", I can't see them only doing one season. Of course, the other problem is that the Manga and Anime seem to be made at the same time as one another, so I'd have to assume should they make a second batch of episodes to cover 38 and beyond, presuming they don't include the "Dream of Hell" chapters in this run, they'd have to wait a while as the Manga continues its plot. Then again, I could see them making a few cuts to the following story arc after this one (namely the part where spoiler[Kuriko gets forced into "relations", as that doesn't really add to the ongoing plot and doesn't get mentioned again from what I've seen]) considering they're selectively changing certain aspects of the story.
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 11:16 am Reply with quote
Maybe they'll do the same as Vanitas which Bones animated a second cour based on a similar amount of volumes. The thing is that at least Ishiguro doesn't take those hiatus in contrast to the one from Vanitas who was absent for so much time that the anime almost ate the manga.
Theozilla

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 11:41 am Reply with quote
Philmister978 wrote:
With the way things are going, it wouldn't be out of the question that they'll announce another set of episodes to cover more of the manga, correct? Because unless they come up with an ending that closes out the anime without follow-up beyond "read the rest of the Manga", I can't see them only doing one season. Of course, the other problem is that the Manga and Anime seem to be made at the same time as one another, so I'd have to assume should they make a second batch of episodes to cover 38 and beyond, presuming they don't include the "Dream of Hell" chapters in this run, they'd have to wait a while as the Manga continues its plot. Then again, I could see them making a few cuts to the following story arc after this one (namely the part where spoiler[Kuriko gets forced into "relations", as that doesn't really add to the ongoing plot and doesn't get mentioned again from what I've seen]) considering they're selectively changing certain aspects of the story.

The stuff that the anime as changed so far is only non-plot essential stuff due to like episode run-time reasons. The core story itself isn't really being changed.

The anime's production was started after three volumes of the manga had already been published. Ishiguro also plotted out the entire story of the manga before starting it, and told the people making the anime the entire overall story, so there is no "problem" in regards to the anime being produced as the manga was being published.

And as I said before, Ishiguro stated in an interview that the anime is only adapting up to some part of tankōbon volume 6 (meaning it will likely end around chapters 34-37). And I doubt the contents of chapters 32-34 are getting cut, as those are extremely important to the story in terms of the character motivations and how it affects them (and does get brought up again, also the manga just isn't done yet).

In regards to more seasons, I think the they'll probably wait for more of the manga to be published before ordering another cour.
If anyone needs a reminder, the manga just passed the half-way point back in August 2022, right before tankōbon volume 8 was published.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 12:59 am Reply with quote
I'm really enjoying this series so far. Based on some of the comments here, I'm wondering if I should just skip the anime and read the Manga?
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 6:36 am Reply with quote
taster of pork wrote:
I'm really enjoying this series so far. Based on some of the comments here, I'm wondering if I should just skip the anime and read the Manga?

There aren't many differences. You should check Theozilla's comments as he explores the changes. The only change I remember is that Maru was more aggressive in the first episode when fighting.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Excellent episode. Apropos of nothing I guess, but this is the second Disney+ series in a row to show suicide by gunshot to the head. Also with a brother and sister sort of sharing the same body, now that I think about it...

Speaking of that scene, what was the percussive flash of light we saw that spooked the crow before we heard the gunshot? And why did it seem like there were two gunshots heard by Maru and Kiruko? Was the second one just a door slamming?
yuzumei

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
what was the percussive flash of light we saw that spooked the crow before we heard the gunshot? And why did it seem like there were two gunshots heard by Maru and Kiruko? Was the second one just a door slamming?

The crow was not spooked. The crow was ready to take flight before the gunshot. The first "bang" was a loud wing flap of the crow. The flash of light came exactly at the same time of the loud flap. I guess the flash is there for artistic purposes?

The suicide of Dr. Usami and the death of Hoshio are clear examples of "A picture is worth a thousand words". Both of these characters died in silence not a single word but you can see the connection between them, their pain.

The way he lift the gun up and drop his head and recline it against the arm and have one last look at Hoshio.

Just a few seconds before dying, Hoshio had one last look at Usami and he was not looking at her he was looking away with a sad expression on his face. She started crying. She knows that her death is going to cause him pain and that's why she is crying.

Those two little moments hit my feels button.

To make it more tragic the eye was the only part of her body that Hoshio could move and she expressed a lot of feeling through it.

I was impressed how well directed it episode was. We just met these two character for 15-20 min and we feel for them.
Theozilla

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 12:32 pm Reply with quote
As Masakazu Ishiguro stated on Twitter last week, the remaining parts of chapter 22 had to be cut completely from the anime for like run-time related reasons. For those curious, the latter half chapter 22 involved Kiruko getting their first period (i.e. they hadn’t had one for the 5 years since the brain transplant) and Maru and Kiruko meeting up with Mizuhashi, the former Liviumen leader (explicitly confirming that her “death” had been a deception on the part of the other members working with the bald guy).

For those interested in reading along with the manga, Episode 9 adapted the remainder of chapter 23 (24/30 pages), all of chapters 24 and 25 (though 5-6 page scene showing a prototype of the Kiru-Beam laser gun being developed at Takahara Academy got cut), and the majority of chapter 26 (18/24 pages). Total, this is equivalent to about 3.55 chapters worth of manga (though a number of other minor comedic and transitional scenes and other bits of dialogue were also cut and/or shortened from the manga throughout this episode).

At the beginning of the episode, when Kona was running to try to prevent Asura from killing themselves, he falls off the second floor balcony. Many fans have speculated that this is supposed to be what Mimihime meant in episode 2, where she said that she is getting “the feeling something else is going to fall” (i.e. she got a psychic impression of a past event that she wasn’t present for).

Also note how Asura specifically mentions only the names of other female students to Kona (when stating that he won’t be alone after she dies), it appears perhaps that Asura was specifically encouraging/pushing Kona to hook up with another student of the opposite sex.

Also if it wasn’t clear by the end of the episode, when Aoshima (the lady who got promoted to assistant director this episode) was staring at Tokio when the older students were in the pool, Aoshima was noticing the beginning of a baby-bump starting to develop on Tokio’s body.

Another thing that might not have been as clear in this episode that was more explicitly depicted in the manga is that the audience is supposed to realize that Mimihime has animal ears (donkey-like) and not just merely a funny hairstyle.

And when Kiruko was talking about Takahara Academy having facilities and branches (there being two facilities in Nara and Ibaraki) that is meant to indicate that the building Maru and Kiruko explored this episode was a “branch” location of Takahara Academy (specifically Ueno, a district located in one of Tokyo’s wards).

Glad to see that Steve has picked up on the series' main twist, that puts him on the same page as James and Lynzee in that regard.
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I love how seriously they took Asura's character and death despite his looks. Also, the handling of Tokio's pregnancy sure is strange in Heaven. Why is everybody so scared about it? Maybe it's a direct comment from Ishiguro?
Theozilla

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I am pretty sure Asura is meant to be a girl, or genderless. The English subtitles refer to them with she/her pronouns at least IIRC.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 11:05 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Also, the handling of Tokio's pregnancy sure is strange in Heaven. Why is everybody so scared about it?

Someone who's read the manga could probably give a better answer, but I would speculate that whatever their reasons for breeding these experimental children, their plans don't involve the kids naturally reproducing with each other, and them doing so throws some kind of a wrench in the works.
MyMasterMatthew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I'll be curious to hear some opinions on Episode 10, especially from people familiar with the manga (which I am not, so please be careful with spoilers). Perhaps my expectations are too high, as Heavenly Delusion has been my favorite series of Spring 2023, but this episode was easily my least favorite. Like, it wasn't a tough call to make at all... Episode 10 felt mediocre compared to previous episodes. There were a few decent-ish moments, mostly during scenes with Maru, but they weren't enough to salvage the mess. I'm still trying to decide how I felt about the visuals, as I generally dislike it when an anime switches up the art style for an episode or two (I'd rather consistency).

I've come to realize that Heavenly Delusion is NOT for hand holders who need everything spelled out for them, and I can respect an author's desire to "show" their story rather than "tell" their story. In my opinion, good storytelling requires the audience to read between the lines (from time to time) and put the pieces together. Unfortunately, that kind of storytelling can run into issues when an adaptation can't nail the original's pacing. Some of the big reveals in this episode felt underwhelming without more of a lead up. Mind you, I've never read the manga, so perhaps I'm mistaken, but I got the impression that this episode adapted more chapters (and perhaps omitted more content) than previous episodes did.

Then again, I failed to realize that spoiler[the girl Maru killed was Mimihime] in Episode 8, so maybe I'm not as quick to read between the lines as I thought.

Perhaps I'll feel differently if I watch it a second time.

Edit: After watching it a second time, I have a new appreciation for this episode. In my defense, context makes a huge difference, and after knowing how this episode ends, I picked up on a lot of foreshadowing and body language that I previously missed. I still think the episode was a bit rushed, and I'm not thrilled with the animation style used in certain scenes, but I no longer consider it a mediocre episode.

Last edited by MyMasterMatthew on Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Theozilla

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:48 pm Reply with quote
To begin with, if anyone noticed how this episode had a noticeably different visual style and animation this episode, that was likely due to episode 10’s episode director and story-boarder being Kai Ikarashi, an animator who is a mainstay of Studio Trigger and has worked on many of their series and films.

Now in regards to the plot, this was another one of those episodes that actually reveals quite a bit of information without doing so directly. Jūichi’s son Jūgo (who Maru identifies as a Man-Eater/Hiruko-person, likely similar to the Hotel King Totori and Hoshio/spoiler[Mimihime]) having the same freezing powers as the spider-like Man-Eater this episode is meant to imply that one of Jūgo’s mothers (i.e. whoever was his biological mother) transformed into the spider-like Man-Eater after being killed and hung-up by the Walled Town inhabitants. This revelation is further confirmed with the addition of an anime only detail, specifically the bracelet/rear-view mirror pendant (with the red tokusatsu character) that Jūichi was given by Jūgo’s mothers (who also each owned a identical bracelet); said bracelet can be seen attached to one of the legs of the spider-like Man-Eater in episode 10.

For those interested in reading along with the manga, Episode 10 adapted about half of chapter 27 (13/26 pages), and all of chapters 28 and 29. This is equivalent to about 2½ chapters worth of manga. The remaining parts of chapter 26 (6/24 pages) and the other half of chapter 27 were parts of the manga focusing on Takahara Academy and Aoshima (the new vice-director lady character), I don’t know if those parts have been cut from the anime entirely, or if they are being rearranged and we might see them adapted in next week’s episode 11 instead.

An added bit of bonus trivia, chapter 29 of the manga also identified the name of Jūgo’s biological mother (i.e. the one who became the spider-like Man-Eater). This was conveyed through the cover page of chapter 29, where the named is spelled out in katakana though the art of said chapter’s cover. The name in katakana is spelled out as “ナナキ”.

In regards to the plot at Takahara Academy for episode 10, the new Class 5 students are the 15 five-year olds that The Director was discussing and referring to in the previous episode.

Also in case it wasn’t clear, Tokio’s pregnancy has developed at a normal pace, so about 5-8 months or so have passed since Tokio was taken away in episode 9.

And with the episode 11 and 12 previews, we can confidently state that that chapter 31 is going to be split up between those two episodes, so I am guessing episode 11 adapts maybe some of the Aoshima bits from chapters 26 and 27 (that were cut from episode 10), all of chapter 30, the Takahara Academy parts of chapters 31 and 34, and maybe some parts of chapter 35. While episode 12 I am guessing will adapt any remaining parts of chapter 35, most or all of chapter 36, the Maru and Kiruko parts of chapter 31, and maybe some parts of chapter 32. Then the last episode 13, I guess will adapt the remaining/majority of chapter 32, all of chapter 33, the Maru and Kiruko parts of chapter 34, and then any remaining parts of chapter 36 and some parts or all of chapter 37.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8