• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek to Release 3 Digimon Films With New Uncut English Dub Featuring Classic Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Mune wrote:
Will they be using the Japanese names for the characters or the English localized names (Taichi vs Tai, TK vs Takeru)?

The castlist and trailer use dub names so it's pretty safe to say the dub will use it's usual terminology while the sub will be using the original terms.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Mune wrote:
I have one complaint about this announcement:
Where is movie 4? Movie 4 has gotten terrible treatment, not even released physically in the U.S. and the only exposure to American audiences through Disney Anime hyper. It had a dub like the other 3 and wraps everything up from movie 2.

My theory is they're going to do all the Disney-era dubs together.

Yeah, the remaining movies that were dubbed were pretty much uncut from what I remember (as in "no footage was outright removed", not no editing), so there wouldn't be a need to redub any of those & they could instead just do a straightforward dual-audio boxset for those.
BluesPro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:30 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Have you watched it? It's not really that bad

Don't tell me you still believe in the old "the original show flopped in Japan so we had to dub it this way" excuse ADV gave way back when. That was debunked years ago

Yes, I've watched it. It's horribly dull, there's no reason to watch it today. It's like asking for a faithful dub of Golion, a show that nobody would care about had it not aired as Voltron.

Thankfully people like you and the two others who think there's any value to it are not in charge of these business decisions, because you'd be the only ones buying it.
Southkaio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I hope Studiopolis is behind the redub of these Digimon movies.
AshleyReya1999

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
My theory is they're going to do all the Disney-era dubs together.

Yeah, the remaining movies that were dubbed were pretty much uncut from what I remember (as in "no footage was outright removed", not no editing), so there wouldn't be a need to redub any of those & they could instead just do a straightforward dual-audio boxset for those.

But some of the scenes from those movies were cut like the few beach scenes with the song from Battle of Adventurers.
PipimiOden

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
BluesPro wrote:
Except Ghost Stories is terrible and would have been forgotten by time were it not for the gag dub. A more faithful dub would be a show for nobody.

IIRC, the original was quite successful on Japanese TV.

i mean the standards for tv ratings were higher in the 2000s. You know how some shows would get canceled back in the day despite 2 million viewers? Yup.

I think i saw in newstype magazine issues that sonic x and di gi charat nyo (and also firestorm and the show that followed it in the timeslot after it ended) had decent ratings but tv tokyo still cancelled them because they were up against astro boy 2003 which blew both their ratings out of the water (with nyo having to directly compete in the ratings which is why we had the princess school arc in the first place; they tried to steal some viewers and sadly failed thus that series was cancelled)

Sonic X ended up getting its last batch of episodes (and therefore cosmo) because of the series success internationally, especially in the US and France with 4kids and the series' french distributor becoming part of the production committee, and nyo got faithful subs and a faithful (aside from lack of nyos) dub from bandai entertainment/blue water (which sadly got dropped itself on episode 72, maybe due to low dvd sales? still sad we only have bootleg subs for that last batch of episodes).

Ghost Stories probably would've gotten a more faithful dub as well (outside of animax asia's) if it weren't for the fact that it still failed to get distributed in the states until they eventually decided to loosen their guidelines up to the point where ADV picked it up to make a gag dub and used the ratings as a scapegoat.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Southkaio wrote:
I hope Studiopolis is behind the redub of these Digimon movies.

Actually it's Sound Cadence Studios that are doing the Uncut redubs of the Digimon Movies.
russ869

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Happy to have more of Mamoru Hosoda's works (in particular the inspiration for Summer Wars) available uncut on US home video.

Still waiting for One Piece movie 6. I think it got a DVD release as part of movie compilation in the UK, but nothing in the US still...
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:13 pm Reply with quote
AshleyReya1999 wrote:
But some of the scenes from those movies were cut like the few beach scenes with the song from Battle of Adventurers.

Was there any talking during those scenes, or was it just part of a montage? I haven't seen the movies is a looooooong time, so I don't recall anymore, but if those scenes were just part of a montage then I imagine the Discotek crew could likely just add back it into the dubbed version just fine. If not, then maybe they'll just redub the later movies, too, but only wanted to focus on the first three right now, hence why it's the "Digimon Movie Collection 1".[/u]
Kusakabe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:52 pm Reply with quote
BluesPro wrote:
garfield15 wrote:
Have you watched it? It's not really that bad

Don't tell me you still believe in the old "the original show flopped in Japan so we had to dub it this way" excuse ADV gave way back when. That was debunked years ago

Yes, I've watched it. It's horribly dull, there's no reason to watch it today. It's like asking for a faithful dub of Golion, a show that nobody would care about had it not aired as Voltron.

Thankfully people like you and the two others who think there's any value to it are not in charge of these business decisions, because you'd be the only ones buying it.
You're right, congratulations. I'm so glad you and the billions of others who bought ghost stories have led to all these joke dubs we've gotten since.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:58 pm Reply with quote
In regards to the future of Digimon releases, The "pattern," if you can call it that, has so far gone like this:

Initial announcement of Adventure - End of Q1 2022
Digimon Dub Season 1 release - End of Q4 2022
Digimon Adventure subtitled release - Middle of Q3 2023 (July, last week)
Announcement of Movie Collection 1/Adventure Zero Two - Middle of Q3 2023 (now)

If things are to move smoothly and swimmingly, it'll probably look like this:

Movie Collection 1/Digimon Dub Season 2 release - Q2 2024
Adventure Zero Two subtitled release - End of Q4 2024 (Christmas, which was when Dub Season 1 dropped)
Movie Collection 2(films 4-6?)/Tamers announcement - Q1 2025
Movie Collection 2/Dub Season 3 release - Q4 2025
Tamers subtitled release - Q3 2026

I don't want to estimate beyond this, because a potential "Movie Collection 3" would be films 7 and 8(Frontier and Savers), but then, are they going to announce the respective TV series jointly? It would be odd to announce the Savers movie and not the TV series with it.

As for the possibility of redubbing films 4-7, I think movie 4, Diablomon Strikes Back, is a foregone conclusion because Joshua Seth wasn't available when it was originally recorded. I think they'll want him back. The films for Tamers and Frontier are iffier. They're not uncut but also not butchered like the TV series/Digimon the Movie, so they may just subtitle them and call it a day. However, I was not expecting the first three films to get redubbed, so at this point anything is possible. If they don't redub/reconstruct films 5-7 though, that would mean you can't watch a dub with the original music score for them. The Tamers movies will be stuck with the replacement score that was made for Frontier.

Oh, and uh, the TV special, Digital Monster X-Evolution. Fans confuse this for a film and it gets labeled "movie 8" a lot, but that's not what it is and who knows if the materials for it are even available. Discotek loves hunting stuff down though, so we'll see.

EDIT: Of course, thinking about this after I write the long post, they could forego the "movie collections" after 2, and then release the films for Frontier and Savers jointly with their TV series...
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Was that Brian Beacock as Koromon?
1dbad

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:26 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I wonder if there's any chance of redubbing the shows (or at least Tamers) with an uncut dub. I love the old dub for being fun, but there are a lot of emotional scenes in the first two shows that are ruined by the music choices and a refusal to acknowledge death. Tamers is better, though the upped comedy in the dub might be a slight turnoff to some.

Discotek is a small company. They've never dubbed an anime longer than a cour, so four cour series like Digimon are sadly out of the question. But they're usually able to dub movies, so I do think redubs of all the Digimon movies are possible so long as the sets sell well.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:49 pm Reply with quote
russ869 wrote:
Happy to have more of Mamoru Hosoda's works (in particular the inspiration for Summer Wars) available uncut on US home video.

Still waiting for One Piece movie 6. I think it got a DVD release as part of movie compilation in the UK, but nothing in the US still...

Yeah, I have no real interest in Digimon but there's a small part of me that almost wants to get these just to see Hosoda's early work.

And yes, the UK got sub-only DVD sets with the first 9 One Piece movies. The first few "movies" (hour-long specials really) look pretty crappy, but they're about the best we have.
AshleyReya1999

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:57 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
Was that Brian Beacock as Koromon?

Koromon is being played by his original VA, Brianne Siddall.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5