• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: A Sign of Affection

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yeehaw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:43 am Reply with quote
I understand Shin chickening out and not telling Emma the truth, but man you just know this means she's gonna find out in the worst way possible. She's gonna see them kiss or hold hands or something
Thesarum

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:32 pm Reply with quote
yeehaw wrote:
I understand Shin chickening out and not telling Emma the truth, but man you just know this means she's gonna find out in the worst way possible. She's gonna see them kiss or hold hands or something

Yep, this sort of cowardice always comes back to bite you in the worst possible way. Especially in fiction. It is however, totally understandable. Poor guy has been denying himself for years, trying to prioritise what he thought Emma wanted over his own happiness. Pretty much friend-zoned himself on that rooftop though. A little honesty might have been short term pain for longer term gain there.

I like how Itsuomi figured out Yuki had misunderstood at the crossing, and rather than being awkward about it or just brushing it off calls it out and promises to do better. It wasn't really his mistake (and it's not like it was a serious issue for either of them), but he owns it anyway. Yuki's fluster at the whole thing is adorable too.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Yuki and Rin really are some of the best Gal Pals I've seen in a Shojo anime. Just so sweet and supportive together...while also being super cute and looking great in any outfit on top of that.

I knew that co-worker was interested in Rin, but I was glad to see her put down his advances and in the process more or less confirm to Kyouya that she's interested in him...and in turn he basically confirms he's interested in her. Now it feels like they're 98% of the way to being together.

I'd watch a whole show of just Yuki signing, but I'll also take plenty of her and Itsuomi being tender and sweet together.

Izumi is the girl who is pining for a guy pining for another girl and just wants to see him get over it for bother their sakes...and Oushi finally realizes how screwed he is when he finds out Itsuomi can sign. So much for that!

It'll be interesting to see how people react to the next episode and diving deeper into Oushi.
Azure Chrysanthemum

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:20 pm Reply with quote
This was such a cute episode it did my heart good. I love the good communication, the increasing intimacy with Yuki and Itsuomi, and that Rin and Kyouya are finally moving in a positive direction. I'm hoping some actual communication between Itsuomi and Oushi will do the latter some good.
tintor2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Itsuomi was this close from killing his girlfriend.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Hurrah for Rin! Some progress! Her crush is reciprocated, he's just cautious and doesn't want to impose... which is sweet in it's own way.

Rin and Yuki's chemistry as friends is great, they just have such a good time in each other's company.

I'm not sure how effective "point at stuff randomly" is as a teaching method, but everyone was having fun and I guess that's what counts. Neat to see just how seriously Itsuomi is taking learning sign though, adding his own notes and commentary to Yuki's guide. The guy might not emote particularly clearly, but nobody can accuse him of not putting in the effort to truly step into Yuki's world. Unlike another mopey idiot of a childhood friend who has, it seems, failed to really take her seriously. Looks like he's going to get a talking to next week though. In a way I'd like to see a little more of Itsuomi's petty side there - wouldn't do for him to be too perfect.
Azure Chrysanthemum

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I honestly really appreciate how Itsuomi handled Oushi. It says a lot about him as a person, and he continues to show he's a really empathic and kind partner to Yuki, especially with how he wants to get her comfortable in her presence. Since this is her first relationship she's naturally wound tight all the time which is natural, but that will pass in time and he's patient enough to wait. Good guy, Itsuomi. Good guy.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:44 pm Reply with quote
The best two bros in love with the same girl hang, drink and talk it out without fisticuffs episode I've ever seen.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Itsuomi earning massive boyfriend points in this episode:

- Not answering Yuki's phone for her.

- Watching movies with subtitles and muted so he can feel what it's like for her to watch something.

- Kissing her arms and then her lips so smoothly while also not doing anything that goes beyond her comfort level.

- Facing her childhood friend who is crushing on her head on and trying to understand and relate to him rather than treat him like an annoyance or rival. And in turn making him...kind of a bro!?

It was also nice to see Yuki finally get a job and Oushi hopefully really turning a corner and maturing. I guess Shin dealing with Emma will be next.

Smol Yuki looked so cute in her yukata.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I like what the show does with Oushi here, even as I still don't like or have any real sympathy for him. The first thing he uses sign for is to belittle Yuki, and he maintains that attitude up to the present, while imagining some sort of "special connection". Whatever his true feelings, he's been a jerk to her for years and doesn't really deserve the kindness she's shown him up to this point never mind anything else. He inflicts more pain on himself than anyone else with his attitude, and the frustration of that just feeds right back into his bad attitude to everyone around him. Istuomi telling Kyouya that he's "going through his misanthrope arc right now" is hilarious though.
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:21 pm Reply with quote
It's too bad this doesn'tspoiler[ actually lead to any change with Oushi and he instead doubles down and gets even worse. The author should have made this be the end of the whole thing.]
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Thesarum wrote:
I like what the show does with Oushi here, even as I still don't like or have any real sympathy for him. The first thing he uses sign for is to belittle Yuki, and he maintains that attitude up to the present, while imagining some sort of "special connection". Whatever his true feelings, he's been a jerk to her for years and doesn't really deserve the kindness she's shown him up to this point never mind anything else. He inflicts more pain on himself than anyone else with his attitude, and the frustration of that just feeds right back into his bad attitude to everyone around him.

This is about where I'm at too. He is for all intents and purposes, a tsundere that never managed to overcome his own emotional dishonesty and how much that has pained him from the beginning, and has coped by becoming gradually more of a paternalistic jerk. His limited worldview and how it's informed his interactions with others, is given its due nuance (or at least isn't an "easy as done" sort of deal), and one thing I love about fiction is there being space to explore these simply negative impulses with negative results and consequently further collective unhappiness. Especially in a drama built around communications said and unsaid, everything outside of words meaning just as much. I've seen worse representations of people stewing in their own self-sabotaging behavior and worst biases, and that it comes in lockstep with a sorely misunderstood sense of uniqueness makes it work all the better.

I still don't really care about him though and the energy he brings to the show makes it roundly unpleasant without any sweetness alongside. I can't even count the quasi-makeup given how much territorialism that talk was steeped in (something I can usually shrug off or enjoy on its own terms), and how much that chat fed into my other issues.
Leviathonlx1 wrote:
It's too bad this doesn'tspoiler[ actually lead to any change with Oushi and he instead doubles down and gets even worse. The author should have made this be the end of the whole thing.]

Do you mind elaborating on this? I'm really curious, and don't expect to continue with the manga.
SinisterOracle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:45 am Reply with quote
I’m really glad this episode showed the Itsuomi and Oushi “relationship” so well. It was beautifully done in the manga, so I was hopeful for the anime depiction too. Itsuomi is definitely much more of a good guy than the first interaction with Yuki and Oushi showed.

Oushi acting like a jerk to Yuki once he learned sign as a child reminds me of the age old trope about boys are mean to girls they like. Unfortunately for Oushi, he never grew out of that bad phase. spoiler[He does seem to be making slow progress in the current manga chapters, especially in 41. It definitely pulled on my heart strings and made me tear up at the end.] I’m looking forward to seeing his progress as the story develops.
yeehaw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Honestly my affection for Itsuomi took a turn this ep. Get your room together man.
Get rid of all those cardoard boxes and put the damn tv on a little table
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:24 am Reply with quote
I'm glad Rin and Kyouya feel 98% official, I think Rin just needs to properly talk to and spell out the nature of their relationship.

I want more of Madoka and her family. They have great energy!

Oushi is rough and immature, but his feelings and care for Yuki are sincere, and it seems like he's maturing in terms of how he interacts with her, which is nice.

I feel like at this point Emma knew more than anyone that Itsuomi would never return her feelings, so him having a girlfriend is less surprising than finding out her best friend really was in love with her the whole time and was just lying about it. But hey, maybe Shin has a chance!?

As soon as I realized they were going to close out on that chapter, I had the biggest smile on my face.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4