• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Reddit Anime Awards 2023 Jury Picks BanG Dream! It's MyGo!!!!! as Anime of the Year

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:17 pm Reply with quote
As one of the dedicated fans who was so moved by It's MyGO!!!!!, it's delightful to see it win any sort of award. Even more so than when Farris and Jones gave it further attention on last year's top 5 roundups.
N V

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Hahahahaha
Perhaps the very concept of a "best show" is a nonsensical concept when accounting for the vast amount of different taste and genres. Nothing but the most generally popular can win in any meaningful way.
aniMayor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Dernhelm wrote:
the winners for Movie of the Year... i guess reddit hates Miyazaki and Shinkai. not even Blue Giant Confused

The Boy and the Heron wasn't eligible this year because it doesn't have a home release yet - it will be eligible and almost surely get nominated next year.
JazzyBeat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:14 am Reply with quote
It seems like the Jury voters are just a bunch of cute girl/ idol anime fans. From my experience, the only people I know who are like that are creepy
tomdean

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:01 am Reply with quote
Funny, wow, I didn't agree with any of the choices. I liked BanDori It's My Go but it was never Anime of the Year
Zoltan Kakler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:20 am Reply with quote
JazzyBeat wrote:
It seems like the Jury voters are just a bunch of cute girl/ idol anime fans. From my experience, the only people I know who are like that are creepy

To be fair there's also the 1% of the fan-base who treat these shows as super wholesome and progressive. I've seen a few people hail BanG Dream as a queer-friendly series because of the usual yuri undertones these kinds of shows have. I assume the same is for stuff like Onimai where some people treated it as pro-trans representation when it was airing rather than a fanservice series with loli and a pee fetish. Kind of like how some people insisted Maid Dragon was one of those until Ilulu showed up in season 2 and it became harder for people to try to deny what the series was actually about (I still don't know how they rationalized all the Lucoa and Kanna scenes in season 1) Given how award shows tend to work I could easily believe these shows were chosen for those reasons rather than why the average otaku like them. For the record, I'm an adult man that likes these shows so yeah, I'd fall into that majority Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3