• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Boy and the Heron Film Wins Oscar for Best Animated Feature

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:26 am Reply with quote
While I'm sure the film was worthy of the Oscar win, it is a shame that Ghibli films are the only Japanese animated films the Academy pays any attention to. And even know, only Miyazaki wins any awards.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:14 am Reply with quote
Marshal: Mirai got in, but the voters generally hate non-Ghibli anime.
Avec ou Nous

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Farafra wrote:
It also doesn't help that it was up against Across the Spider-Verse, which is, in every way possible, a more triumphant step forward for animation as a medium.

Disagree. I didn't really care for the first Spider-Verse since I didn't like the animation style and all the chromatic aberration gives me a headache. I never saw the second but it looked about the same animation-wise. Maybe even more obnoxious from the trailers alone.

I agree that only Miyazaki films getting the awards is pretty boring when we see how successful and beloved other anime films have been, but it's still amazing when any anime wins these things.
Doubleclouder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:18 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Tee-hee. https://www.ign.com/articles/spider-man-across-the-spider-verse-star-film-robbed-best-animated-feature-oscar If anyone was robbed, it was the poor souls who had to endure Ant-Man 3, The Marvels, and Madame Web. Rolling Eyes

I have never seen any of those but then I haven't watched a Marvel movie since Endgame. I've heard all the memes about them though.

I guess Spider-Man is kinda in a rut right now since the Spider-Man 2 game didn't win any awards either from what I heard. I can't say I'm a fan of either of them since I'm not really into Miles and he seems to be the focus character in both the movies and the games now. Although I heard peoople liked No Way Home which was basically Spiderverse but with the live-action movie Spider-Men instead. I would like a classic Spider-Man story someday. Just Peter Parker by himself. None of the new characters or multi-verse plotlines. Just a good old classic modern Spider-Man piece of media. I wonder if we'll ever get a regular Spider-Man story ever again.

Anyway, congrats to Miyazaki.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:23 am Reply with quote
Even as it seemed more likely this year than any other, I'm still surprised to see Miyazaki win his second Oscar and it's a well deserved win. I thought they would have picked Spiderverse or given to a dark horse title like Robot Dreams. It's still frustrating it took this long for another anime win when all the other anime noms from the past were just as worthy of winning.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3