• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Official Yu-Gi-Oh! Tournaments in Japan Updated to Ban Non-Japanese Nationals

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:54 am Reply with quote
Touma55 wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Touma55 wrote:

Yes it has become a big problem. It is strange to see that after acceptance of foreigners has increased over the years foreigners have decided to abuse that acceptance to cause trouble. It is sad but I am already starting to see some people view foreigners poorly again.

You do know that a portion of the pushback to foreigners is not exclusively because of a fraction of them acting and behaving inappropriately right?

Japan if you look at its history has a very well documented history of xenophobia and just plain racism with how it’s viewed and treated non Japanese people.

Granted they’ve come long and far from the days of “expel the western invaders” but still.

I said that acceptance has increased which implies that it was low or atleast lower so of course I know some people are racist. I think you knew that I knew and just wanted to take this chance to be racist to us Japanese. And if you think recent bad behavior has not caused an increase in pushback you are very very wrong. Also many countries have had problems with xenophobia in the past, but people really like talking about Japan I have noticed.

There have been a few incidents of late that have concerned me as a permanent residence holder.

I could mention for example the government announcing they are going to revoke permanent residence of people who evade taxes / insurance.

Whilst I agree there are probably people who are doing that statistically permanent residence holders are only a small minority of foreign residents and the LEAST likely to avoid their tax / insurance obligations compared to someone on a working holiday.

Why go after the peole most likely to have good jobs and be paying truckloads in to the economy?
Blue Senpai

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:14 am Reply with quote
Glordit wrote:
Not really, people switch teams constantly and move all over the world to play for a different countries national team. Look at Japan's national Rugby team as an example; they have 2 South Africans, a New Zealander and a Thai player in the team.

But didn't Naomi Osaka have to give up her US Citizenship in order to representing Japan in the Olympics? I imagine it's something like that. They want a Japanese citizen to represent Japan in the world championship. Are those Rugby players mixed/born in Japan and Japanese citizens or are they only there on Visas?
Glordit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:35 am Reply with quote
Blue Senpai wrote:
Glordit wrote:
Not really, people switch teams constantly and move all over the world to play for a different countries national team. Look at Japan's national Rugby team as an example; they have 2 South Africans, a New Zealander and a Thai player in the team.

But didn't Naomi Osaka have to give up her US Citizenship in order to representing Japan in the Olympics? I imagine it's something like that. They want a Japanese citizen to represent Japan in the world championship. Are those Rugby players mixed/born in Japan and Japanese citizens or are they only there on Visas?

They qualified to join the team on Residency Grounds but, I don't follow sports very much so not entirely sure of all the specifics.
MyMasterMatthew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:08 am Reply with quote
Is there any reason to believe that this decision is seen as welcome news in the Japanese Yu-Gi-Oh TCG scene? I'd be curious to hear if there were issues in recent tournaments that directly led to this decision, or if it's a matter of anti-tourist sentiments like others theorized.

Glordit wrote:
Guessing the recent slew on tourism trouble and idiots wanting to be the next Johnny Somali are some if the reasons?

I had no idea who this "Johnny Somali" guy was, so I had to look him up. This was a mistake on my part.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:57 am Reply with quote
Blue Senpai wrote:
Glordit wrote:

But didn't Naomi Osaka have to give up her US Citizenship in order to representing Japan in the Olympics?

As the article, gumbaloom, and CheerSong noted, Yu-Gi-Oh! Japan Championship 2024 now requires both residency in Japan and Japanese nationality. If the Japanese Olympics team had both requirements, Naomi Osaka (and many others) would be disqualified now. Strictly speaking, if the U.S. Olympics team had similar requirements to both, Osaka and others would be disqualified there now, too.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Touma55 wrote:
I said that acceptance has increased which implies that it was low or atleast lower so of course I know some people are racist. I think you knew that I knew and just wanted to take this chance to be racist to us Japanese.

Much in the same way you clearly read what I wrote. And despite me not in anyway implying or saying what you’re accusing me of ignored the actual point of what I was trying to convey which I literally clarified in my opening statement.

And I only did so because there’s this thought process that if you do something the intent isn’t malevolent or suspicious in anyway even if it objectively is.

Not to mention when you have a company or a country implement a rule like this how are we as outside observers not supposed to conclude this looks racist or xenophobic?

Touma55 wrote:
And if you think recent bad behavior has not caused an increase in pushback you are very very wrong. Also many countries have had problems with xenophobia in the past, but people really like talking about Japan I have noticed.

Because this story in question involves a Japanese company making a morally questionable decision. With said story being published on a website that covers cultural aspects from Japan?

There’s no agenda here to make Japan look bad to the benefit of another country or culture.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
light turner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
The question that hasn't been asked or answered is "Are people from certain countries now outright banned from playing competitive Yugioh at all?"

No? As far as I can see the American, European, Oceanic, and other qualifiers are still happening and scheduled. I'm not sure how many foreigners were entering the Japanese regionals in the first place and how many people this is actually going to affect if anyone at all but the way I look at this is the old saying of a few bad apples spoil the whole bunch. Just like when one kid got Pokemon cards banned from my middle-school and ruined it for everyone back in the day by causing trouble, all it takes is a handful of bad eggs causing trouble in Japan made them crack down on all the foreigners. Sure, it sucks, but at the end of the day this kind of stuff is a privilege and not a right and as far as privileges go not being able to play in a card game tournament is probably one of the most First World Problems one could have.
That Little Rapscallion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:26 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
I'm not even a Yu-Gi-Oh! fan, but this type of gatekeeping and exclusion is basically a "F" you to international fanbases. By doing that, Konami can end up losing a sizeable western fanbase and also non-Japanese Asian fanbase by putting that exclusionary rule for the tournament.

To be fair I would classify this as one of the least annoying things international Yu-Gi-Oh fans have had to deal with throughout our existence since this would only affect a handful of people at most. From the way the anime and manga is handled and distributed here (or lack thereof to be more accurate, ESPECIALLY if you want to watch and read it uncensored and in Japanese) to the handling of the card game itself which has way too many issues to list here but being an international Yu-Gi-Oh fan does suck, but it's been sucking for almost 25 years now. At this point I just assume Rush Duel is never being released outside of Japan and took to importing the cards.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Turtleboy76 wrote:
You just know if it was TCG regions banning Foreign nationals, it would be called racist and probably reach main stream news.

It's nationalist (discrimination based on country of origin), not racist. It'd be racism if they banned Japanese citizens with a permanent address who simply looked too gaijin or couldn't pass some racial purity test.

Either way, this seems a little silly. I want to say Starcraft had something like this happen. EU players couldn't hold a candle to Koreans so rather than step their game up, they made a new league and barred Koreans from participating unless they moved to Europe.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Ah Konami, every few months bring a new fresh hell. There is no good way to explain any of this, especially due to the reversal of the rules. I would love to know what Kazuki Takahashi would have thought of this due to inclusivity being a core message of his manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
@ASAnime6

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:06 pm Reply with quote
was about to say racist , then realized it makes sense. it is national not international.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:20 pm Reply with quote
light turner wrote:
I'm not sure how many foreigners were entering the Japanese regionals in the first place and how many people this is actually going to affect if anyone at all

That Little Rapscallion wrote:
To be fair I would classify this as one of the least annoying things international Yu-Gi-Oh fans have had to deal with throughout our existence since this would only affect a handful of people at most.

For one not-insignificant group, it affects Americans serving in the Armed Forces at Japan, and their children.
Traptrix Lover

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:02 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
I would love to know what Kazuki Takahashi would have thought of this due to inclusivity being a core message of his manga.

Those don't necessarily have to be mutually exclusive. I don't like speaking for other people, let alone the dead, but this is the same Takahashi who did not portray foreigners in the most positive light in his series (Bandit Keith, Pegasus J Crawford, Step Johnny, Pandora, etc), refused to let certain cards be released in the west (he did not like having his own artwork being censored and some of it would have to be to come out in the TCG), and there's also the one time he got in trouble with people for using his characters to get political to the point he had to apologize for using the characters to say "The current administration is betraying the country, and I'm worried about the future of Japan! It's terrible!" right after the Abe administration was urged Japan to import more foreign workers back in 2019. A message of bringing people together could just be a "for Japanese people only" kind of thing.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:17 pm Reply with quote
lolyouropinion wrote:
"Yes, it has become a big problem," they say, citing the politicians. This is the problem with fascist societies like Japan, you're so quick to believe that the "foreigners" are being bad. How dare they sour the sliver of "acceptance" you benevolent Japanese have kindly bestowed upon them.

However one views modern Japan, it doesn't have the characteristics used to define fascism.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Traptrix Lover wrote:
Those don't necessarily have to be mutually exclusive. I don't like speaking for other people, let alone the dead, but this is the same Takahashi who did not portray foreigners in the most positive light in his series (Bandit Keith, Pegasus J Crawford, Step Johnny, Pandora, etc)

Pegasus at least had a sympathetic background and also upheld the terms of the tournament (unless that was something 4Kids added in the dialog).

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5