• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Neon Genesis Resurrection

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuricon

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:46 pm Reply with quote
While I agree that Aoi Hana is an exceptional piece of schoolgirl yuri, I will take issue with the line about Maria-sama ga Miteru, which is an incredible series of novels, written by a genuinely excellent writer - for an intelligent and discriminating audience. I've been reading and translating the novels for a while now, and really, they are quite brilliant.

I would far more think that if you like Aoi Hana, you're likely to love Marimite. Both are smart stories with engaging characters and a realistic, old-school feel that harkens back to the roots of Yuri with Ikeda Ryoko and even further to the novels of Yoshiya Nobuko.

You can't even put Strawberry Panic! in the same company, as it was clearly intended as a parody of the above stories - and many other private girl's school Yuri stories, like Himitsu no Kaidan, and the more recent Kannazuki no Miko, among (many!) others, from which it took whole scenes. :-)

Cheers,

Erica

Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu! http://okazu.blogspot.com
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:51 pm Reply with quote
ikky wrote:
Oh, I thought the rerelease of Parasyte was just a rumour! Surprised I will definitely start collecting the new release. Nice to see that it has been retranslated as well, manga released before 2000 were usually very americanised.

Isn't the main character's name Shinji though?

Shinichi.
Mixx called him Shin.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
'm surprised it was only rated 16+, though, because it's as violent as Berserk. I'm also surprised you didn't try to sell more copies by saying, "Soon to be made into a movie" on the cover. But yeah, thanks for bringing it here, since I was getting tired of that hippy horror crap from Umezu and Ito.

Parasyte doesn't have demon rape every so often. Del Rey does have a ridiculous rating system though. Isn't Negima 16+ too?
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
I was very amused by the reviewer's coments on the SEED Destiny manga, but I would have loved a scan of even one page to illustrate the art problems, since I always like to see what a reviewer is talking about when they compliment/trash the artwork in something.

Only too happy to oblige. Razz (WARNING: may not be suitable for readers with good aesthetic sense)

Is it just me or is the guy on the bottom left cock-eyed?

"Kira!" "Athrun!" "Oh wait, which one of us am I?"

BATTLE OF THE UGLY GUNDAMS
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:42 pm Reply with quote
wow, that first one is just brutal

I've heard complaints that all SEED characters look alike, the Manga makes that much more apparent. Especially due to the lack of color.

The third doesnt look so bad. Whats the probem youre seeing there?
Iritscen

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:13 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the first one is funny. The second one reminds me of my little doodle in Paint where I just flipped the one guy to get the other. But I can't actually see a problem with the third.
thecactusman17

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:38 am Reply with quote
I kinda see what you mean on the third one, how somebody can make a panel too busy with so few actual objects in the panels is beyond me.

The dialogue in the other two is just criminal, and the art while not terrible is certainly way too generic.

If the Gundam producers insisted on the same level of quality in their spinoff projects as they do (did?) in their original anime series and model kits, I think it would be much bigger here in the US than it actually is. But with the only common US Gundam releases being garbage like SEED, the terrible manga adaptations, or the boring-at-best (and often much worse) games it's no wonder that the series remains a sort of last bastion of "only in Japan" action anime.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:19 am Reply with quote
Well, the problem with the third pic is not immediately visible, but it's an artist techinque thing. There's no line weight or light and shade to give the robots a 3D presence; they look like they were just copied line-for-line from posed models. So now it's just a bunch of mechanical parts with no sense of action. (I bet I could get the same effect from MSPaint Line Tool.)

Also notice the bottom right panel where the artist is trying to draw every single line on two distant mechas, which violates a basic rule of perspective: keep the basic shapes and forget the details on objects in the distance.
Monumension

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I've been wondering whether I should buy the new edition of Parasyte or not. I do own the series from its Mixx/Tokyopop-days - one of the first mangas I bought the whole lot of - but the books are starting to crumble (pages are falling out) and the layout is primitive compared to the new look. The old edition also felt rather Americanized in it's use of dialogue and names (Sara, Tamara Rockford etc.) so a new buy might be worth it. Or...?

Ah, I agree that "Righty" would be a bad choice for a name of the protagonist's right hand, heh.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Monumension wrote:
I've been wondering whether I should buy the new edition of Parasyte or not. I do own the series from its Mixx/Tokyopop-days - one of the first mangas I bought the whole lot of - but the books are starting to crumble (pages are falling out) and the layout is primitive compared to the new look. The old edition also felt rather Americanized in it's use of dialogue and names (Sara, Tamara Rockford etc.) so a new buy might be worth it. Or...?

My advice is to flip through the first volume and see if the new translation makes ti worth the double dip.
Vekou

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Good review but I'm baffled by one part of it. Maybe you can help:

"...but it feels like Sadamoto is fudging things just as much as Anno ever did, with hallucinatory visions so far past science OR fiction that they basically abolish logic for the sake of establishing a plot point."

I've read this sentence over and over again and I'm still not entirely clear what is meant. I don't think the content of Rei's (or anybody's) "hallucinatory visions" are meant to be particularly scientific (or logical) in nature, and I have no idea what you mean by "OR fiction." If you by chance happen to read this post, could you please elaborate?

With regards to Sadamoto's perceived lack of originality brought up by others in this thread, I personally don't expect the manga to stray so far from the anime that they wind up contradicting, clashing with or competing with each other, and I think he would agree. Obviously, I expect more than a direct adaptation. I enjoy that certain characters and events are fleshed out, and I very much appreciate Kaworu actually being the acting fifth child and pilot of an Evangelion throughout several volumes, rather than him being introduced and immediately killed. But that's pretty much as different as I want it to be*. In other words, I love the additions but I do not anticipate huge changes. And my exact thoughts apply to the upcoming Rebuild movies. Evangelion is flawed, but still a masterpiece... Don't scrap the whole thing because of a few weak points - instead, take a look at the best parts and bring everything up to that bar, or higher.

* Well, now that I think about it, I'd prefer it if Sadamoto skipped the content of episodes 25-26 and either gave us his take on End of Eva - or, could you imagine if he went even further and kept writing the series post-Third Impact?
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Vekou wrote:
I've read this sentence over and over again and I'm still not entirely clear what is meant. I don't think the content of Rei's (or anybody's) "hallucinatory visions" are meant to be particularly scientific (or logical) in nature, and I have no idea what you mean by "OR fiction." If you by chance happen to read this post, could you please elaborate?

That even in the sense of fanciful, illogical things (i.e. the "fiction"), Rei's visions are just crammed in there for the hell of it. See, I expect even the wildest flights of fancy to relate to the story, and those ... kind of didn't.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
Yeah, I've wanted to start a thread for a while, but I've been lazy and starting a NH discussion would probably take even more effort than that Texhnolyze discussion. Soon, soon...

Heh, whenever on the Nijigahara Holograph, Huffy. If by, say, late May or early June, you haven't started one up, you can be damn sure that I'll start a topic on it after re-reading it. I won't go into much more than that except for the fact that it's one of the greatest manga ever created and probably my favorite at the moment. Simply loved it.

And as for Texhnolyze, wait around for a giant analysis thread that I'll start up this summer. I'll be covering and picking apart the numerous bits of symbolism and themes along with detailing plot and character points. It'll go volume by volume so as to makes things more organized. I also aim to do the same with Haibane Renmei, and maybe The Big O as well...

Quote:
Aoi Hana is a very nice little manga. Can't say its characters are endeared to me as much as everybody's favorite grade school gender-benders, but its close.

"Grade school gender-benders"? I'm stupid; could you clarify for me?

Andrew Cunningham wrote:
Why not?
Parasyte is one of the best and most influential manga of its time, and one of the most satisfying jobs I've ever had. Loved working on it, can't wait to get my copy.

Nice to see ya stop by, Andrew. I'm curious: would you care to say which manga were influenced by Parasyte? It's been around for a long time in Japan, so I'd imagine that a helluva lot of manga-ka have come to read and love it.

Speaking of the manga, read the first volume this past weekend and I couldn't get enough of it. The straightforward, dry approach worked wonderful with the plot (which felt somewhat like reading a 1950's sci-fi movie, minus the cheese) and characters, so I was apparently more impressed by it than Carlo in that regard. Migi is just freakin' awesome. I cannot wait until volume two comes out this summer.
Patachu wrote:

Looks like something I'd draw. Very Happy

Vekou wrote:
With regards to Sadamoto's perceived lack of originality brought up by others in this thread, I personally don't expect the manga to stray so far from the anime that they wind up contradicting, clashing with or competing with each other, and I think he would agree.

The problem is that he shouldn't care about contradicting the anime, yet he clearly does care, and he still contradicts it with plot and major character differences.

Quote:
Obviously, I expect more than a direct adaptation.

Like I mentioned earlier, I'd want either a direct adaption of the anime with some parts perhaps fleshed out or else for him to choose his own path without regard to the source material. He starts out with the latter, which is great, but then goes back to the former, and keeps on switching until he digs himself into a hole of having to write out the remainder of the series in the same way that the anime went with small deviations that are in conflict with what has he previously developed and will continue to do so. If it weren't for a scene that will end up in volume eleven, I wouldn't even know what the hell the point is the manga. Even then, the main message that Anno hit us on the heads with over and over again isn't there to be found in the manga because we don't see the characters interact with each other as such.

It's one thing to do an imitation. It's another to do a fresh adaption. It's a whole other bag of trash when you try to write a fresh adaption while still trying to imitate.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:58 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:

Andrew Cunningham wrote:
Why not?
Parasyte is one of the best and most influential manga of its time, and one of the most satisfying jobs I've ever had. Loved working on it, can't wait to get my copy.

Nice to see ya stop by, Andrew. I'm curious: would you care to say which manga were influenced by Parasyte? It's been around for a long time in Japan, so I'd imagine that a helluva lot of manga-ka have come to read and love it.

Erp. You may have called my bluff.
I feel like it's been influential since I've vaguely remember seeing several artists mention how much they liked it, but anybody specifically influenced by it?
I'd be guessing, but Kitoh Mohiro seems an obvious choice.
It's a hard book to be influenced by without just doing an obvious imitation, but I the very grounded, down-to-earth feel despite the action packed storyline, and the complexity and fascination with the monster's own developing states of mind show themselves all over the place.
Afternoon has never sold particularly well, but anyone who was reading it read Parasyte, and a lot of young writers would have read and been influenced by it, if not as obviously as Eva and the sekai-kei movement.
But they don't tend to talk about it or make direct homages to it that much. I've seen a couple - I think Ueshiba Riichi has a Migi jokes once - but it isn't quoted nearly as often as Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Heh, whenever on the Nijigahara Holograph, Huffy. If by, say, late May or early June, you haven't started one up, you can be damn sure that I'll start a topic on it after re-reading it. I won't go into much more than that except for the fact that it's one of the greatest manga ever created and probably my favorite at the moment. Simply loved it.

I've definitely got to read it a few more times before I can get everything straight. My problem right now is that I foolishly chose to read Ulysses (unfortunately have yet to finish) and Underworld (the DeLillo one) back-to-back, so I'm kind in the mood for something with explosions or titaz.

Quote:
"Grade school gender-benders"? I'm stupid; could you clarify for me?

The manga-ka's other (and in my opinion better) manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4