• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gia's List: The 8 Greatest Weapons Wielded by Women

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:59 am Reply with quote
How about Lucy's vectors? You know, the multiple invisible arms that rip things -like human bodies- in half without having to lift a finger? I think those are some pretty badass weapons.

Then there are the spirit beasts from Ga-Rei Zero. Heck, the Micheal II is good enough to make the list as it is. It's a sword with a trigger!

Kekko Kamen's hips are some deadly weapons when wielded right (right in someone's face, that is).

Temari's fan from Naruto is a very cool weapon.

If we're including mechs, Allenby and the Nobel Gundam are crazy with the Berserker System activated.

There's Backless and Stripes, the names of Panty and Stocking's weapons. I mean, they're guns and swords formed by underwear and socks, I think that deserves at least an honorable mention.

And I think someone already mentioned the Witchblade. I have to believe that was left off accidentally, or Gia hasn't seen the show, because that thing (and it's clones) is prettying freaking deadly. It makes Masane -a pretty normal mom- an ultimate warrior. It's one of the few weapons that makes the user look good, instead of the user making the weapon look good.

It's a good list, though. The only one I question is Senjougahara and the school supplies. She uses them, like, 3 times and it's not really for anything that fascinating. Hell, spoiler[I don't even think she can do it anymore once the crab is removed], so that makes it even less exciting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ljaesch

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:09 am Reply with quote
One of my favorite weapons wielded by a female is Tenten's scroll. With that, she can summon any of her weapons that she wants.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Splitter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:33 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Oh, and Yoko's sniper rifle is pathetic compared to the Harkonnen used by Seras Victoria. The latter is spoiler[a highly modified 30mm anti-armour (well, anti-anything) canon firing either depleted uranium shells with silver tips or incendiary napalm shells, and the gun is far bigger than Yoko's pea-shooter. Of course, even the Harkonnen is only a baby compared to its successor, the absolutely monstrous Harkonnen II.]

I'm not sure about that, near the end of Gurren Lagann, spoiler[Yoko gets a rifle the size of the galaxy]

Ugh, I hate the movie for spoiler[giving everyone universe-sized giant robots]
lelouch4ever

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:47 am Reply with quote
First of all, I had to barf when I saw nina. She is definately my least favorite character of any anime ever, but weapons alone... that was pretty cool... even though itspoiler[ KILLED MORE CIVILIANS THAN ENEMIES i mean, come on... it killed Sayoko but not Lelouch!!] Anyway.. here are some that should have been on there...
Niotono no Shana (Shakugan no Shana)
Saika (Durarara)
Celty's whole body (Durarara)
Grell's Death Scythes (Black butler) (No one can tell he's a man anyway)
The Guren S.E.I.T.E.N. Eight Elements (Code Geass)
But, in the end, my opinions really don't matter.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Jedi Master wrote:
Paper - Yomiko Readman (R.O.D.)
It's ordinary paper wielded by an extraordinary woman.

Agreed.
Hi-Chan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Everyone who has seen a magical girl anime knows the greatest weapon is the power of friendship! Very Happy
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:51 pm Reply with quote
First of all, nice list. but as the most fun is to be had thinking of alternatives, I shall oblige.

Yeah, Yomiko's paper powers are the greatest. In ROD the TV you have the paper sisters and that other guy all using paper but each get stuck using them mostly in single ways, Yomiko could do anything those four could do, do more, and do it better and faster.

- Sawa's exploding bullets in Kite - Ow! That stings! ow! ow! Boom! Splat!

- Haruko's left handed Rickenbacker 4001 Bass guitar, FLCL.

- and no matter the show's faults, whenever I think of "girl with a weapon" I often think of Kuniko Hojo and her giant boomerang from Shangri-La. The thing was awesome and she coulddo anything with it it semed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Nami uses her staff to summon weather attacks, Haruko uses a Guitar(A FREAKIN' GUITAR), Sailor Saturn uses her spear that is strong enough to destroy a planet(literally), and M.M.(despite my hatred for her) uses a clarinet that sends waves that explode on contact as well as turning into nunchucks
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:45 pm Reply with quote
nx6 wrote:
What's this "men get the coolest mechs" crap?

The Guren Mk-II, one of the coolest mechs in Code Geass, was piloted by Kallen.

Truth.

But I gotta admit the #1 pick was an awesome choice. Clearly the most dangerous weapon, not just because of what it can do but because it's wielded by one of the most mentally unstable characters seen in an anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:48 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Fun fact: nuclear reactors cannot be made to explode like a nuclear bomb. Nina's spoiler[device was not a nuclear reactor, or even a "true" nuclear bomb, but rather a sakuradite bomb enhanced by adding a fission stage.]

Also truth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tsuruya-San

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Awesome to see Rena on the list Very Happy

Can think of a few characters for that list ehich haven't been mentioned already in this thread:

Clare or any of the other Claymores - They have huge swords
Ayano from Kaze no Stigma - She has a sword Enraiha which is quite deadly especially with her temper.
Aya and Maya from Tenjho Tenge - definitely don't want to mess with them, with their swords.[/spoiler]
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Like a others upthread, I was surprised/shocked to not see Haruko Haruhara's Rickenbacker bass on this list; I believed it was a given.

Sure. As cool as finger-knives, chainsaws and sniper rifles are, chances are we're going to see another anime heroine wielding any one of those in the not-so-distant future (if not already).

But a Rickenbacker bass that shoots bullets, can be used to surf the skies and has a pull-started engine?!

One. Of. A. Kind. ::smile::
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:10 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Then there are the spirit beasts from Ga-Rei Zero. Heck, the Micheal II is good enough to make the list as it is. It's a sword with a trigger!

"Sword with trigger"?
I'll admit that's kinda awesome but I think you may have forgotten to mention spoiler[Ayame's wheelchair in the final episode.]
Hellfish

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:

And if you want a girl with a gun bigger than her, Yoko's sniper rifle is only a few inches taller than her. Seras Victoria's gun is a few feet taller than her, and probably outweighs her by several hundred pounds, especially with a full clip of ammo. Add in the fact that she can dual wield such a gun, and I must say that this is quite the glaring omission! .

Rime of the Ancient Otaku wrote:

Let me second the Harkonen(s).

Lightning Leo wrote:
Seras Victoria, Gunbuster and Evangelion all occurred to me immediately, and have already been brought up. Laughing

dtm42 wrote:

Oh, and Yoko's sniper rifle is pathetic compared to the Harkonnen used by Seras Victoria. The latter is spoiler[a highly modified 30mm anti-armour (well, anti-anything) canon firing either depleted uranium shells with silver tips or incendiary napalm shells, and the gun is far bigger than Yoko's pea-shooter. Of course, even the Harkonnen is only a baby compared to its successor, the absolutely monstrous Harkonnen II.]

So glad to see so many people favoring the Harkonnen too!!! <3 <3 <3
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:52 pm Reply with quote
My favourite weapons in Dynasty Warriors are the more unusual ones - in particular Sunshine's Chakram-thingies (which is why I was really disappointed by her having a bow in 6) and the Qiao's fans (and Zhang He's claws, but he's a guy). There was also a character with a kendama in Samurai Warriors.

"Milly is also disinclined to kill people, despite her possession of a pretty hefty piece: a multi-barrel riot gun loaded entirely with rubber bullets"
She's disinclined to kill despite wielding a non-lethal weapon?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5