• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Comedy anime recommendations.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bacondreamer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:49 pm Reply with quote
To add to what some of you already mentioned:

GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka): It's comedy and it's based on current society and pop-culture (of time of production) w/ dialog exchanges that you would expect in everyday life. You will see characters make reference to other pop-culture icons, shows and anime that many of us are familiar with. It's a true down home, feel good comedy serie, a must watch for all anime fans.[/b]

Also:

City Hunter: (from ANN) Ryo Saeba works the streets of Tokyo as the City Hunter. He's a "sweeper" and with his sidekick Kaori Makimura, he keeps the city clean. People hire the City Hunter to solve their dangerous problems, which he does with a Colt Python. When Ryo's not working on a case, he's working on getting the ladies, and Kaori must keep him in check with her trusty 10 kg hammer.
Pinkwings

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:19 am Reply with quote
Tenshi na Konamaiki aka Cheeky Angel

Megumi is a beautiful high school girl who all the guys have a crush on, including the toughest most feared one, Genzo.

She claims she was once a boy and hates to be treated otherwise. She acts tough and can kick most guys ass. Her friend, Miki, despite believing her would rather she act like a girl.

Its a funny gender bender comedy that has a bit of action.

...ok wow that description sucks. Anime cry Seriously though its a really funny anime. It really made me laugh out loud which few anime besides Slayers seem to do. I tend not to find alot of comedy based anime funny but I love this one.

Genzo and Megumi out of the all the characters really make me laugh the most. But the rest are funny too.
savagebeautysound

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:15 am Reply with quote
Meh. The funniest stuff I've ever seen is the first season of Desert Punk. A friend recommended it, I just got it today.

I ended up on the floor gasping for breath. The one where he locks himself in a secret underground room with a chick with huge breasts, it's just classic.
ShadowTrader

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:47 am Reply with quote
In my opinion this is the hardest recommendation thread, because there are so many different tastes in comedy. Some people like stupid funny, some like goofy/silly funny, some like parodies, some like satires, some like perverted funny, other like combinations, so I think we need some more descriptions of what type of comedy it really is, and how it stands out.

I personally saw 1 episode of Desert Punk and just said no! I might go back and finish it one day but I need a better a reason than a girl with an over inflated chest.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:56 am Reply with quote
ShadowTrader wrote:
In my opinion this is the hardest recommendation thread, because there are so many different tastes in comedy. Some people like stupid funny, some like goofy/silly funny, some like parodies, some like satires, some like perverted funny, other like combinations, so I think we need some more descriptions of what type of comedy it really is, and how it stands out.
Yes, ShadowTrader is right, we do need descriptions of the comedy anime you're recommending beyond "it's funny." For this reason, several posts that had lists of titles and no substance backing them up have been removed from this thread as per ANN's "No List Post" rule.
urzu_7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:23 am Reply with quote
Ah! My Goddess

A romantic comedy about a guy named Keichi who's struggling but manages to be positive and does the right thing. He's visited by a goddess named Belldandy and she grants him one wish. Then the story goes on with the hopeless Keichi trying to take his relationship with Belldandy to the next level while dealing with other goddesses that swing by.

And when you reach episode 19, you'll see how great the comedy is.
auberginedreams

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:45 am Reply with quote
Welcome to the NHK is a hilarious anime that I would definately recommend to anyone. However, it isn't pure comedy, I'd say it was equal parts comedy and drama. It actually works really well though. It is pretty depressing at times, especially because spoiler[most of the main characters are severely depressed themselves, and about seven characters attempt suicide at some point, one of them on three occassions] so if you're looking for straight up silly laughs, it may not be for you. What I really love about this series is that you really get attatched to the characters which makes the funny parts even funnier and the sad parts even sadder.

Last edited by auberginedreams on Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
labomb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Any of the Project A-ko series are mildly entertaining. Each episode generally focuses on the rivalry between A-ko and B-ko, with innocent and unassuming C-ko consistently caught in the middle. Although they are sometimes portrayed as enemies, A-ko and B-ko are also known to be roommates and business partners. This changing relationship is attributed to the setting, which appears to be fragmented between alternate dimensions; each episode takes place in a seemingly different plane of existence, while retaining the main trio. There is also plenty of sexual / gender ambiguity (chicks that look like dudes) and undertones of lesbianism. ..halfway decent fight-scenes, the occasional mech.. overall, a cool, though short series.

I own them all, but haven't watched em in years. I hope that I accurately remembered the gist of it.
SaraFilipa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty surprised no one mentioned Minami-ke yet... Because honestly I think it is a little gem amont the huge amount of stereotyped comedy animes, and at the same time it is incredibly undervalued!
Minami-ke tells you the story of the three Minami sisters, who live on their own and who, despite of sharing the same blood, are incredibly different. Haruka is the motherly figure; Kana is the impulsive, clueless one; and Chiaki is an intelligent (although mean) little girl. Yeah, you guessed right - that's the plot. There is no plot at all, but that is what makes this series so funny! It is incredibly random, you get to see the girls cook, watch television, and go through their daily chores. But honestly, while it's randomness is the essence of this show, it is much better than it sounds. Very Happy The secondary characters made this show for me, you get to meet some hilarious personalities (those who watched it know who I am talking about, Hosaka, Fujioka, Touma, Makoto...).

You have also got a second season, Minami-ke: Okawari, but it isn't nearly as funny, in my opinion!
kaizen-dono

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Im gonna give Dominion:Tank Police a mention. The first set of ova's are pretty good but often fans prefer the sequel new dominion (which was approved by its orignal works creator Masamune Shirow) both are very good IMHO, The comedy from this series comes from the ridiculousness of using tanks in apprehending everyday criminals which often results in causing a lot more damage than anything else.
The quirky characters are a basis for laughs too for example leona's odd fetish for cold steel and love for her tank, or Lt Brenten's macho man facade that is all too easily stripped away by the slightest of insults reducing him to tears.

Overall its a fun action/comedy with some loveable characters thats worth checking out, there are better stuff out there that have been mentioned in this thread already but a shirow fan in particular will probably enjoy this. (IMO the 2nd OVAS are the closest thing to an animated shirow manga albeit one of his lesser known/loved works)
Elfen12

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:10 am Reply with quote
I think it's been mentioned once or twice in here, therefore i'll be seconding (or thirding) this anime but...

Rune Soldier - This is funny. I'm not quite aware what the different types of comedy are, well at least waht they man, i know the terms not the definitions but this show is just funny. It's got the same type of humor as Fruits Basket... just like comical calm sarascm... or in my opinion at least. It's definatly funny though, i enjoy watching it and am still watching it. So yes i'm watching this and it is definatly something that's made me laugh out loud.

-Elfen12-
ShadowTrader

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone seen Sayonara Zetsubō Sensei? I found it to be pretty funny. There might of been too much background crap going on and the styling wasn't the best but the humor was definitely there. If I had to describe it, I would say its a bit of dark humor mixed with situational comedy. I laughed at least a few times in every episode so it was worth the time. Has anyone seen the sequels? I was going to watch them but been to lazy to start, anyone know if they are better then the first?
An1fr3ak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:52 pm Reply with quote
As a matter of fact, I have seen both seasons but not the OVA. According to the anime rating system, the second season is prefered to the first but I found that the first season was much better. I guess it is up to you and your tastes in the end.
shogun22

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I think this hasn't been mentioned yet...

Bamboo Blade
Plot Summary: Toraji Ishida is a high school kendo teacher. His friend and fellow kendo teacher makes him a bet: if Ishida can assemble a girls' kendo team that can defeat his girls' team in a practice match, he'll treat Ishida to free meals at his father's sushi restaurant for a whole year. Now Ishida must find five girls to join the team.
-Anime News Network
Static29

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Can anyone recommend me an anime like "Full Metal Panic - Fumoffu"?

The same style of comedy. I just feel like nothing can top Fumoffu, that show was the best comedy anime I've ever seen...hilarious.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6