• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Eve no Jikan / Time of Eve.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:35 am Reply with quote
Man, I love those ending credits. I was a huge fan of the ONA, watching each episode on the exact day it was released, but while the ONA got a 9 from me I gave the movie a 10 (and I only have three other 10s on my list, so it's quite uncommon). Those pictures in the ending credits are just too beautiful.

Also, about that screencap: spoiler[Wow, that really does show it a lot clearer than any of my screencaps ever did! I think though that even in the credits themselves we get at least a hint of that. The picture of Nagi in a wheelchair with the robotic hand of her father holding it still as she tried to walk... if you look close at her left hand... those joints look quite odd. Then there is another picture with two arms/hands stretched out. One may think that is Nagi's arm on the right and her father's on the left... but it looks odd in that respect. Both arms have the same length for one. And it would be quite hard for the left arm of Nagi's dad to be on the left side of Nagi as depicted.]

Anyway, I'm super jealous of all those in the New York area who have the chance to watch Time of Eve at the film festival. The movie needs to be licensed. I have to own this.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:05 am Reply with quote
Megiddo, I think you're right about the man being spoiler[her father].

I'm struck by another intriguing thought. spoiler[At one stage in the credits there's a woman angrily arguing with Nagi's father. Could it be Dr Ashimori? They certainly look similar. Perhaps Dr Ashimori is Nagi's estranged mother / stepmother?]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:21 am Reply with quote
Wow. I hadn't even thought of that. Looking now, they do share a resemblance!

I really hope that the producer (Tom Nagae) meant what he said about the first six episodes was only the "first season". And it was really cool how director Yoshiura and the producer took time to answer questions from English-speaking fans. He actually answered one of mine, which was so super cool. I don't think I've ever seen any other Japanese creator take the time (since this was before the series was completed) to do that. Here are the questions/answers in case anyone has not read them.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:26 am Reply with quote
There you go - I've made Nagi my avatar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:37 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen the movie yet, just the ONA, which was the first anime I ever gave a masterpiece rating. Some nice R1 distrib REALLY, REALLY needs to pick this up and slap it on BD.
Vracer111

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I haven't seen the movie yet, just the ONA, which was the first anime I ever gave a masterpiece rating. Some nice R1 distrib REALLY, REALLY needs to pick this up and slap it on BD.

You can get the Region A Blu-Ray for the ONA (with English subtitles) from Amazon Japan. Not cheap ~$90, but really worth it (it comes with nice set of additional jackets). I just wish the Movie version had subtitles, it's Japanese only. But hopefully the movie version does get a North American Blu-Ray release in the future. I really want to see it, but it's useless to me without English subtitles.

Pale Cocoon would be nice to have on a Region A Blu-Ray with English subtitles as well...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the tip! I had no idea there was a BD release of the ONA - with English subtitles, no less! I usually wince at Japanese prices, but $90 for a masterpiece like Eve no Jikan is a flippin' bargain.
Vracer111

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Thanks for the tip! I had no idea there was a BD release of the ONA - with English subtitles, no less! I usually wince at Japanese prices, but $90 for a masterpiece like Eve no Jikan is a flippin' bargain.

The Japanese Eve no Jikan ONA Blu-Ray was just recently released in January. I have only seen it available on Amazon Japan so far, here's the link: Time of Eve

Mandatory express shipping is what brings up the price to near $90US...but it does arrive quickly. Here's what the additional covers look like (Nagi is on the opposite side of the Sammy w/flower cover that come on the Blu-Ray):

Front

Back
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Sweet! I've ordered mine. The BD itself is 5,000Y and they are charging me 2,000Y for shipping. I used a currency converter site that indicates this is roughly $82 Cdn, but I have found the "real" price (i.e. the total that shows up on my credit card) is usually a few dollars more than what the site says, so yeah it'll probably come in at around $90. Totally worth it.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:45 pm Reply with quote
So how does one go about ordering from a website they can't read. IMTranlator for Firefox works pretty good for text but it doesn't do button text, Bablefish gives me an error message and won't translate the page. Confused
Vracer111

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer, I used google chrome and the "translate page to english" bar that pops up on top - worked well enough to make an account with Amazon Japan and order Eve no Jikan. I really wanted to go through cdJapan (especially since I have credit points with them) or some other import sites but none of them have the ONA, they have the fully Japanese movie version only...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:43 am Reply with quote
Vracer111 - I'm running into problems. I was able to order the item perfectly fine and got an auto-confirmation email from them that was in English, but a follow-up email requesting me to select a payment option that was all in Japanese. If you don't mind me asking, which payment option did you select?
Vracer111

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Blood-, I added in my Amazon Rewards Credit card info when setting up my Amazon Japan account and everything went ok. Received English confirmation of order right after I ordered (on a Sunday) then a Japanese shipment notification with DHL tracking # 2 days later.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:08 am Reply with quote
Well, I've recently just purchased it as well. Many thanks to Vracer111. It will be a good use of a bit of my tax refund. Hopefully, I won't run into any problems with it. I've been hearing a lot stuff about people I know who've bought imports from Japan and had their packages go AWOL for like 3 months held up at customs, but then I bought the Garden of Sinners set and didn't have any problems with that, it shipped rather speedily, so who knows. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that is a LOT cheaper than I'd originally expected this set to go for. I had a $250ish figure in my head. Knowing it's less than $100, I'll definitely put in an order. Nice!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4