• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best First Episode Tournament: Nominations

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:30 am Reply with quote
The best opening I've ever seen is the first episode of Vampire Princess Miyu TV series. However, there was a OVA that predated it by nine years. However, due the time difference and the fact the TV series is a stand-alone version differing in tone and story, I'm gonna do it anyway.

Nominate:
Vampire Princess Miyu: The Fang Knows!
Type of Series: Tragedy (with vampires)
Synopsis: Girls have been found dead, their blood drained from their bodies. Rumors of a vampire spread throughout the school. Machiyama, an awkward otaku kid, starts investigating the deaths. He spots a mysterious young girl disappear into a bank of fog. The next day, the girl he saw transfers into his class. He is convinced she is a vampire, and resolves to reveal the truth about her.

What Makes It Great: Okay, otaku kid meets a mysterious transfer student, you've seen this story a thousands times, right. Well, not this one. As we follow this annoying kid around, we learn that it is not Miyu that is killing people, but a monster spurred by a bullied teacher's desire for revenge. In the final scene on the school rooftop, Miyu fights and dispatches the monster, and begins to walk away. The otaku, who was hiding, jump out and demands Miyu take him with her. I'm bored with regular humans and this regular life, he says, I want become a vampire and travel with you. Miyu rebukes him and commands him not to follow. As she starts to fade into the mist, the otaku boy leaps after her. Unfortunatley, he forgot he was on the school roof top, and plunges to his death. In the final shot, were we see his broken glasses and a stream of blood, we hear Miyu's voiceover – Well, at least you're not bored anymore. Roll Credits.

I'll try to find a better one later

Vote For
Haibane Renmei
Sasameki Koto

Vote Against
Bleach (For no reason other it's Bleach. Yay democracy!)
R.O.D The TV
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:47 am Reply with quote
Nominating:
Pandora Hearts: "Innocent Calm"
Type of Series: Adventure, Fantasy, Mystery
Synopsis: Oz Vessalius along with his familiy has moved to an old mansion where his coming of age ceremony will take place. However, he is not interested in the preparations for the boring and formal ceremony. Instead he chooses to explore the place with his servant, Giblert, and little sister, Ada, and finds an old grave on which hangs an old pocket-watch. Oz tries it out and suddenly finds himself in a strange room full of talking dolls and is welcomed by a girl who seems to know him, even though he sees her for the first time. Fortunately, all of it turns out to be just a dream, but it is not the end of ominous events. As the coming of age ceremony is approaching, individuals with obviously malicious intentions appear and possess his servant.
What Makes It Great: The first few seconds manage to grab all the attention of the audience by giving a snippet of what will occur during Oz's coming of age ceremony. The later part of the episode successfully establishes a mysterious atmosphere by using a well-known motif from Alice in the Wonderland in a twisted way and some other good ideas. Due to that the pace of the episode is quick in some parts, but it is balanced by slower slice of life scenes, which give the audience's mind some rest and enough time to comprehend the plot. Since the first episode imparts the audience to a fairly large chunk of information, but without crossing the line of becoming an info-dump, there are some characters who remain a puzzle. However, the main character has been introduced properly, hence it is possible to sympathize with him, as he finds himself in a sinister predicament.
Image: Pandora Hearts

Last edited by Aylinn on Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:27 pm; edited 3 times in total
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:06 am Reply with quote
Support
Aria the Animation
Mawaru Penguindrum
R.O.D. The TV
Elfen Lied (not a fan of the series nowadays, but the first episode definitely makes enough of an impression)
Haibane Renmei
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Cross Game

Voting Against:
Michiko to Hatchin- I did enjoy the series, but it took more than the first episode to hook me into the show as the first episode overdid things with the abuse that Hana took from her scumbag adoptive family which took up quite a bit of the show's first episode.

I'll post some more nominees whenever I get a chance to do so.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:25 am Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:

Voting Against:
Michiko to Hatchin- I did enjoy the series, but it took more than the first episode to hook me into the show as the first episode overdid things with the abuse that Hana took from her scumbag adoptive family which took up quite a bit of the show's first episode.

I'd argue that makes the climax of the episode all the more powerful but eh, I really don't expect it to do well here anyway, so I won't waste my time Wink

Oh, and:

Support- Saikano, Mawaru Penguindrum, Elfen Lied

Against- Magi Puella Madoka Magica. Madoka doesn't really hit its stride til after episode 3, and whilst the first episode had me curious, it's far from being a strong point of the series. There was a little bit to think on from the first episode, but at that point it was mostly standard magical girl stuff.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:39 am Reply with quote
dirkusbirkus wrote:
I was gonna nominate Ga-Rei Zero but wasn't sure how to do so without spoiling the... surprise. I'll definitely vote for it though.

I think we're just going to have to live with any spoilers that are in the first episode. At least they won't be spoiling a lot, even if some good twists and turns have to be revealed.

Anyway, let's go with another nomination!

Nominating
Ouran High School Host Club, "Starting Today, You Are a Host!"
Type of Series: Romantic Comedy, Reverse Harem
Synopsis: Scholarship student Haruhi Fujioka arrives at the elite private school Ouran Academy and stumbles upon the host club, in abandoned "Music Room 3", while looking for a quiet place to study. While trying to escape, Haruhi accidentally breaks a vase costing eight million yen. To pay off the debt, Haruhi is forced to become a host and obtain one hundred "requests" from customers. Throughout the episode, the other host members come to realize that Haruhi is actually a girl. Haruhi later gets into a fight with one of Tamaki's jealous customers. The fight is broken up when Haruhi and Ayanokoji are doused with water, requiring Haruhi to change into a dry girl's, uniform. At this point, Tamaki walks in on her while she is only partially dressed, discovering her to be a girl.

What Makes It Great: The comedy Ouran is known for is immediately present in this episode, especially in the running visual gag of the lightbulbs going off as each club member realizes Haruhi's secret. The beauty of that joke is also that when they figure it out tells a good deal about the characters (Kyoya knows at once glance but Tamaki takes the whole episode).

The episode also does an excellent job at establishing the setting of the elite school and the snobbery that can exist there. Finally it also lays the foundation for all the characters by showing their role in the club and provides a solid foundation for the rest of the series to run wild.

Image: http://i43.tinypic.com/n5mxkx.jpg

Last edited by marie-antoinette on Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:44 am Reply with quote
dirkusbirkus wrote:
Against- Magi Puella Madoka Magica. Madoka doesn't really hit its stride til after episode 3, and whilst the first episode had me curious, it's far from being a strong point of the series. There was a little bit to think on from the first episode, but at that point it was mostly standard magical girl stuff.

Agreed, so I'll also add my Vote Against. Aside from the trippy artistry, the first episode wasn't all that special
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:53 am Reply with quote
Nomination:

Noein: To Your Other Self: “Blue Snow”

Type of Series: Adventure, Drama, Sci-Fi

Synopsis: In the near future, a violent battle takes place between the dimension La'cryma (protector of humanity) and the dimension Shangri-La, bent on the annihilation of all space-time. A group known as the Dragon Calvary is dispatched through space and time, searching for the only thing that can stop the invasion: the Dragon's Torque. In the present, twelve-year old Haruka and her friend Yuu, are contemplating running away from home when they meet a member of the Dragon Calvary named Karasu (Crow). He believes that Haruka possesses the Dragon's Torque and claims to be someone they both know fifteen years in the future...

What Makes It Great: With a WHAM! BAM! BOOM!, the first episode takes no time at all at throwing us into the middle of a very stylized battle. Who are these men in black hooded capes? What is that giant, grotesque, praying statue they're fighting? What is that dragon gate at the beginning? When, where, and what is this battle-torn post-apocalyptic world? Who the hell cares?! The black-caped guys are flying, shooting ki blasts, and running at 90 degree angles down the sides of a monster that can shoot lasers out of its eyes as if it were going out of style! Who needs crazy explanations in an action-packed scene such as this? And an explanation is never given; after one of the black hoods, Karasu, defeats the elderitch abomination, we cut to a short scene in a separate, peaceful, snowy world where our main lead female, Haruka, sees Karasu on top of a church before he disappears.

A majority of the rest of the episode resides in this new world, which we find out is present day Japan. The setting is during summer break, and we're introduced to a quirky cast of friends who decide to play a test of courage by hunting down a rumored ghost that is supposedly appearing throughout the city. We've got: the-supposedly-average-yet-not-so-average Haruka; the troubled, doubting Yuu; the laid-back Isami; the tomboyish Ai; and, enthusiastic Miho. The sudden change of pace is so staggering you'd think we were watching two separate series, and you might be fooled if not for the short clip reminders of what's going on in the other world and the building sense of unease in the present day as Haruka is subjected to more visions her friends can't see. Eventually, the black hoods find their way to the current world, and Karasu chases the group until Haruka leads him away. After a confrontation between Yuu, Haruka, and Karasu, we're treated to an exchange that's guaranteed to keep us to the next episode: "Who are you?!" "Can't you tell? I'm you."

This first episode is successful in several ways. (1) First impressions set the stage for a lasting opinion. A good series knows how to hook its viewers' attention from the outset, and Noein successfully does so with an action-packed opening sequence that keeps eyes glued to the screen. (2) After grabbing your attention, it keeps you intrigued by introducing several mysteries that appear relevant yet no explanation is given. Unless if you're utterly bored with the material, the mysteries and alien-ness of the other world should keep you around so that you can understand what the heck is going on. (3) It introduces the main cast of characters with easily-indentifiable personalities, a history with one another, personal conflict, and, most importantly, the potential for character development (especially with Yuu). (4) It ends on a cliffhanger that is sure to make you demand more, immediately.

Image: Noein pic

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS-1WxdJSuw&feature=sh_e_top&list=SL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vote For:

Cross Game
Mawaru Penguindrum
Toward the Terra
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

In an argument for PMMM, if Aria gets a vote for artistry grabbing one's attention, then Madoka also qualifies. It had a style unlike what I've seen before (note: I haven't seen any other Shaft productions, so I don't know if it's been used before), and simply the vast scapes and designs of both the everyday world and the witches world were enough to have me really intrigued. Combined that with the opening dream mind-screw sequence that hinted of a dark, future post-apocalyptic world (and the dark mind-screw of the witches territory), and I just had to find out what was going on! It wasn't the normal magical girl story even from the get go, though it tried to fool the viewers by dressing up as one.

Edit: Although, I guess I can see where everyone else is coming from. However, for me, the artistry and hints of twisted, dark world were really big hooks. No other series that season had me as intrigued from the get-go.

I'm holding off on voting for or against other series until I've had a chance to view the first episode.

Last edited by Crisha on Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:01 am; edited 6 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:56 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
dirkusbirkus wrote:

Agreed, so I'll also add my Vote Against. Aside from the trippy artistry, the first episode wasn't all that special

For me, it takes a lot for a first episode to grab me and Madoka did that easily. I will admit that the middle doesn't hold up to the beginning but if I only had one nomination to make for this tournament, that would be the one.

On that note, and with Ggultra2764's arguments as well, I am also going to vote against Michiko to Hatchin. I'm pretty sure I only watched the first episode of this one and, obviously, it did not inspire me to watch any more of the series.
Veers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Vote for Mawaru Penguindrum. Fabulous first episode.
Vote for Haibane Renmei.

Vote against Madoka Magica. As some of you probably know from how frequently I engage in discussions about it, I love Madoka Magica, but it really doesn't have a good first episode in the sense of making a strong, indicative and/or grabbing impression other than in raw artistry. Madoka's first episode is good, but it's not really good until you finish the show that you see why it's good, and that makes the episode an integral part of the story, but not really a strong first step to an audience viewing it without knowledge of the show. I feel that while Madoka's first episode does meet the "attention-catchers which draw viewers in" requirement due to its visuals and the "unusual" feeling created by their clash with the story's content, it doesn't live up to the "quality works in their own right" part.
Ikari1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Nominate: Bakemonogatari

Type of Series: Supernatural Ghost story,

Synopsis: Opening with the most detailed panty shot ever we are intorduced to each of the main characters in the show in the first 5 minutes of the episode. I really liked the stop watch that plays at the very beggining when we see Arraragi staring at Hanekawa and her panties for the first time. It was really good at capturing a single but very important meeting of two characters. It is the little details like this that make a difference and I also really liked the way in which you had to pause the show to catch the little thought bursts that are shown from Arragi on the screen very briefly. It was an entirerly engaging exsperience for me. The beautiful piano music at the start followed by the burst of beatuifully animated and sounded action is exhilarating. The gorgeous animation and the clean beautiful artwork fully drags the viewer into the exsperience and creates a unique atmoshere and setting.

The introduction of Hitagi and the scene with the stapler stays with you for the rest of the series, making you always weary and not quite sure what she will do next.

Why it is so great: The way in which it introduces all of the main characters and the general style of animation/art makes this a unique viewing exspereience if you haven't seen it before. Really this has to be watched to be fully appreciated.

I'm going to put in a supporting vote for Madoka Magica aswell. I liked the dark opening and music which contrasted with what I was innitially exspecting from the show. The way in which Kyubee was introduced and each of the main characters hense forth was also engaging and made me want to watch the next episode for sure. Similar in the way that the artistic/ stylistic choices in Bakemonogatari made it standout, the art in Madoka also makes for a unique opening episode. The quality and choice for music in this show also gives it quite a lot of power in terms of setting the atmosphere and dragging the viewer into the exsperience.

If anyone wants to do a better write up for Bakemonogatari or use and abuse mine in a better one feel free as I think mine doesnt do it justice.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Nominating:
Paradise Kiss, "Atelier"
Type of Series: Romantic drama
Synopsis: High school student Yukari Hayasaka finds herself dragged into the "atelier" of a group of fashion design school students who desire to use her as a model to showcase their designs for their school's upcoming fashion show. While at first opposed to the idea, Yukari realizes how shallow her everyday life has been before meeting the members of the ParaKiss group as she starts to immerse herself into their world and becoming romantically attracted to the group's charismatic leader, George Koizumi.
What Makes It Great: Paradise Kiss started off strong with its opening episode by showing a clear comparison of the different worlds which Yukari and the ParaKiss group occupy. Yukari is first seen as a typical cram school student immersed in preparing for college exams, dressed in her bland school uniform, has little time for involving herself in recreation and has romantic interest in a classmate she doesn't regularly interact with. On the other end of the spectrum, the ParaKiss are more lively, stick out of the norm with their very appearances, follow alternative lifestyles not conventional for the everyday Japanese teen and go to a school which specializes in the field all four are very likely to have future careers in. The episode is used to set up Yukari's starting acceptance of the unique world in which the ParaKiss group occupy as she comes to realize in the later half of the first episode how dull her life had been before meeting the group. The show's visual presentation does well at complimenting the unconventional feel of Paradise Kiss within its first episode showing off plenty of detail in the clothing designs and settings seen throughout the episode, as well as depicting realistic details of character appearances.
Image: Paradise Kiss pic

Supporting:
Ouran High School Host Club

Will have more to come. Writing up entries for this tournament take long enough.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Supporting:

Aria: The Animation
Kurau: Phantom Memory
Toward the Terra
Haibane Renmei
Vampire Princess Miyu
Noein: To Your Other Self
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Osnap, totally missed the Noein nomination. +1 support from me, that opening sequence is fantastic.
DarkRoseFairy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Vote For
Elfen Lied, "A Chance Encounter ~ Begegnung (lit. Meeting)"
Haibane Renmei: "Cocoon / Dream of Falling From the Sky / Old Home"
Pandora Hearts: "Innocent Calm"
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Vote For
---
Futakoi Alternative: "Croquettes, Helicopters, Underground Boxing, and Me"
Reasoning: I wish more people had watched this series, but I would settle if people would go find the first episode to see what Megiddo is talking about. If you can get past a very... interesting first five minutes, you'll be treated to one of the most skillfully chaotic narratives ever witnessed in anime. The editing and how everything comes together is nothing short of masterful, and it's what you would expect from a studio as passionate about animation as ufotable.

R.O.D. the TV: "The Papers Have Landed"
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya: "The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina Episode 00"

Vote Against
---
Puella Magi Madoka Magica: "I First Met Her In A Dream, or Something..."
Reasoning: The artwork is phenomenal, but it's nothing inherently new to SHAFT. The music is phenomenal, but I still consider it lower-tier Kajiura. The episode, outside of it's eyegasmic bookmark opening and ending, focuses on a young girl who goes about her daily business until mahou shoujo stuff is thrust upon her in the climax. This is also a fairly generic magical girl setup episode as it is, and while one may see Homura's foreshadowing talk with Madoka as a plus, to me it is just another example of how the series is far too giddy to show off it's magnificent hand rather than let things unfold.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 24