• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Papa's Delivery Service

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm also really relieved that the creep factor has largely been confined to Creepy McMouth Breather. He's still super gross and disgusting, but it's some mild solace that the other characters also find him inappropriate. Though, if he were my friend, instead of just slapping him with a comically large fan every time he talked about little girls, I might tell him to seek professional help. The wink, wink, nudge, nudge response is a little weird when your friend is a raging pedo. But hey, at least now he's the only source of ick in PapaKiki. That, and the obligatory scene in every single episode where Hina puts a dick-shaped food in her mouth. Boy, people sure do love handing her dick-shaped foods.

I couldn't help laughing out loud. As much as I like your substantive reviews of anime, these comedic jabs always make it that much more enjoyable. I haven't actually watched Listen to Me Girls I'm Your Father yet. The commentary about the creepy fan-servicey stuff from so many viewers has kind of kept me at bay. Its not that I won't watch fan service stuff, I tried out Strike Witches for a while and have seen many others. However, maybe i'm just getting tired of shows that rely on the fan service gimmick to the extent that there's really no point to the show itself. I understand that Listen to Me Girls is not one of THOSE shows so to speak, but I've still been afraid of being tricked by it. However, since you've been watching it for all this time and seem to like it maybe I'll give it a chance.
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:19 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Romance is not why Chihayafuru is great. I mean, it's nice to see Taichi struggle with his emotions and all, but it is the writing in general that is really making this show the gem that it is. If it finishes strongly I will likely give it a perfect rating because it's just been so consistently amazing.

I agree with this assessment wholeheartedly! I love the romantic aspects of the show. I especially love the fact that Chihaya is completely oblivious to said romantic aspects! (*see below for parenthetical digression.) But the tight writing and character development displayed in Chihayafuru is truly a thing to behold! It is one of the best, no doubt! I will have to pick up the manga at some point! Smile

*(Finally, a clueless female protagonist! It isn't always the guy that doesn't understand when somebody is in love with them and cannot bring themselves to say it out loud!!! -- And yes, this is an oft used trope that frequently lapses into cliche territory, but it is one that I believe is also rooted in reality! It is extremely common for high school age kids to have trouble expressing themselves to their crushes and just as common for the crushee to be totally oblivious to the crusher. As a fan of romantic story-lines, watching the process of a pair going from one-sided, or mutually on-sided, crush to mutually fulfilling and loving relationship is like seeing the sun rise over the ocean on a morning after a storm. But I digress... frequently.)
malvarez1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
In Hunter x Hunter, the York New arc, which is pretty much hailed as the series greatest arc, should be starting in about 9 episodes, so I'm curious to read Bamboo's opinion of it.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:35 am Reply with quote
Still watching Chihayafuru. Great show.

Also Hunter X Hunter which, for me, has not lost any of its charm. Makes me feel like a kid, with a silly smile on my face. Sucks that there was only one episode this time. Anyone know why?

Anyway, my two winners are Hunter X Hunter and Chihayafuru.

I have dropped/put-on-hold Bodacious Space Pirates. It was tremendously fun for the first few episodes, but breached the boundaries of stupid when Marika accepted the Letters of Marque. I think I was expecting the Bentanmaru to operate under the rules that such a Letter would stipulate. Like taking enemy ships, or ships that the government deemed "undesirable elements", and keep the spoils/cargo. That's the way the Letters worked. Not spoiler[provide piratey entertainment for cruise ships]. After that, everything about this show started feeling really stupid to me, including the stupid pirate costumes. I only can take one stupid show per season,.... and that stupid show is....
Brave 10!!! Stupid fun, and only one cour!! -- I may resume BSP in the future, dependng on what Bamboo has to say about future episodes, but for now it gets the 86.

Also still watching Inu X Boku. It's not that great, but the characters are somewhat interesting and I don't hate them. Some of the jokes almost make me laugh. So I'm still watching it. Anime smallmouth

Another - in a holding pattern pending a marathon.

I tried Ano Natsu, but I just couldn't. Tried twice. Fell asleep both times. The characters would irritate me if they weren't so boring.

I've been meaning to try out Lagrange, but frankly the prospect of ads has kept me from doing it. I'm so spoiled by my various hi-def/ad-free subscriptions, that I avoid Hulu as much as possible. I really should give this show a try, since I like mecha shows. Unfortunately, I'm hearing that the show is devolving into a "cute-girls-doing-cute-science-fiction-things" show. That, and the ads, will probably keep me away unless I start hearing some awesome things about it.

Most of the time, I'd rather be watching Gintama. Neutral
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:41 am Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
In Hunter x Hunter, the York New arc, which is pretty much hailed as the series greatest arc, should be starting in about 9 episodes, so I'm curious to read Bamboo's opinion of it.

There are still 2 arcs before York Shin starts. The first is getting back Killua and the second is spoiler[The Celestial Tower] arc. I'd wager we're still 15-20 episodes until York Shin. We're on chapter 39-40 currently and Yorkshin isn't until the 70s.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:59 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
malvarez1 wrote:

There are still 2 arcs before York Shin starts. The first is getting back Killua and the second is spoiler[The Celestial Tower] arc. I'd wager we're still 15-20 episodes until York Shin. We're on chapter 39-40 currently and Yorkshin isn't until the 70s.

I think the thing with killua will be resolved in 2-3 episodes, and then how many episodes do you think the other arc will take?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:03 pm Reply with quote
If I were running the Stream I'd be giving Sket Dance an honorary #1 placement for the Birthday 3-parter. These occasional drama episodes provide some quality stories (if a it melodramatic and with the occasional logic fail) but the last couple weeks of SD marked the most I've been excited to see any next episode all season.

tuxedocat wrote:

I've been meaning to try out Lagrange, but frankly the prospect of ads has kept me from doing it. I'm so spoiled by my various hi-def/ad-free subscriptions, that I avoid Hulu as much as possible. I really should give this show a try, since I like mecha shows. Unfortunately, I'm hearing that the show is devolving into a "cute-girls-doing-cute-science-fiction-things" show. That, and the ads, will probably keep me away unless I start hearing some awesome things about it.

The other reason to avoid it is the reason I kick myself each week I watch it... it's taking a three month break before completing the show. Mad

And though I complain abut it every week, I'm still watching Knight in the Area. It's bad, but it's so good-natured in its badness that I find it hard to hate. I really wish it had just finished at episode 8- fittingly titled "Conclusion"- I had heard the show is being murdered in the ratings in Japan- so when I started watching it and noticed the title, I had considered that they had cancelled the show early. No such luck.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:

I'm looking forward to this. I've been struggling a little with the pacing of Hunter x Hunter. There are some times I love the brisk clip that it's going at, but sometimes I wish it would slow waaaay down and let me catch my breath.

Mixed blessing, I guess. It gets me through my less favorite arcs faster...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3