• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Adds Valvrave the Liberator, Gurren Lagann TV Anime Series

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:08 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
To avoid heated discussions shouldn't ANN consider not having the option to post/discuss in the forum in notes about Aniplex USA?

Sure, consider it.

"Should we ban discussion of whether GL is worthy of rescuing, of whether Valvare seems like an interesting concept, of what's up with the region restrictions on Valvare, in order to avoid an AoA price argument?"

"How about we just ban the AoA price argument if it gets out of hand?"

OK, consideration given.
machetecat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:12 am Reply with quote
Oh man... look, Aniplex, ALL I want are the Parallel works. You sold the Parallel works separately in Japan, and I'll pay your (frankly unnecessary) prices for JUST a Parallel works DVD set.

[EDIT: Banned discussion content removed. I saved the rest because it's not about the banned content and is referenced by a later post. - Key]
Myaow

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:19 am Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
Oh man... look, Aniplex, ALL I want are the Parallel works. You sold the Parallel works separately in Japan, and I'll pay your (frankly unnecessary) prices for JUST a Parallel works DVD set.

Oh man oh man buddy, I feel exactly the same way! I really want the Parallel Works; they and the other extra animated content (like the music videos) are what makes this BD box look so tantalizing! If they ever did a special solo release for the Parallel Works, especially the amazing Parallel Works 2, I'd be such a happy camper!
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:
Going back to something a couple people mentioned earlier, what was the problem with the Anime Legends encodes for GL?
I don't know the specifics, but many copies had glitched discs that wouldn't play properly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mechanical Horror

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Here I was all excited for the the Gurren Lagann blu-ray only to realize the one I would want to buy is DVD. Meh, whatever. Aniplex's DVD will look better than the version I have now. Besides, if that CD has all the opening and closing themes, it'll be money well spent. And you got to hand it to Aniplex, they know how to give a title a quality release.

As for Valvrave: The main character being a high-school student kind of killed my excitement. Hopefully it'll be good anyways.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:32 pm Reply with quote
* tries to re-rail this thread*

OK guys, which streaming outfit do you think will get Gurren Lagann first? Daisuki or Crunchyroll? Aniplex USA likes to spread out their streams so I wouldn't be surprised to see those up in a number of legal places. And Aniplex USA is really good at streaming availability. It is one of their strengths (I like to stream these days more than I buy).

Any speculation as to Valvrave being a day late on Crunchyroll. Does that involve Daisuki.

Somehow I think Theron is going to end up having to lock this thread. I hope I'm wrong
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Crap. I was really hoping Funi, Sentai or someone else that would dub the show would grab Valvrave (Yeah, yeah. Ani's on the production community, etc.)

It's a shame. It generally looked like a title that could be very Dragonar version 2013, in all honesty.

Wonder how they'll handle the release.

As for GL; well, if they went ahead and dubbed the movies this time, I might've considered it. Considering I've got a few pieces of signed artwork, the Bandai DVDs, copies of PW already and the films, I'll be skipping out on it.

It's actually quite hilarious to see Ani "license rescue" titles.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:33 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Pokenatic wrote:
Going back to something a couple people mentioned earlier, what was the problem with the Anime Legends encodes for GL?
I don't know the specifics, but many copies had glitched discs that wouldn't play properly.

Bandai's encodes are kinda weird...

I have a bunch of titles from Bandai, but when Gundam was dying out, I went out and bought replacement discs for my defective Gundam Seed set...but those were defective too.

Now Im stuck with two copies of defective Gundam Seed. However, that's the only series that I got that's defective. My Hime, My Otome + OVAs, Wolf's Rain, Eureka Seven, Escaflowne, Gundam 00, Gundam Wing all play properly...

I guess it just comes down to luck...?
gothicangel89

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I knew this would happen. Aniplex of America getting Gurren Lagann on Blu-ray, even worse, as an import.

As much as I want the Blu-ray release, I'm not gonna get it. I might as well get the DVD Set even though I already bought the Anime Legend brand on it a few months ago.
I'm still gonna buy it because DVD 2, particularly with episode 7, is defective. Have played it on several players and it still didn't work. I should've bought it a long time ago before Bandai was gone and have them replace the defective disc for me. Oh well. I still have a defective disc of the first season of Code Geass.
Since it's Aniplex and have bought DVDs and Blu-rays from them, none of them are defective so I never worry about it.

Something tells me that the DVD Set will still be available to order for the next several months, like with Durarara Blu-ray Lunch Box Set and The Garden of Sinners DVD Set, so I'm not gonna pre-order right away.

I wonder which anime AoA will get as a blu-ray release only. I know it's rare but they haven't done any license rescue since Rurouni Kenshin Movie and OVAs over a year ago.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:02 am Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Pokenatic wrote:

Yes the GL set from bandai especially is very infamous for that. Out of all my Bandai purchases its the only one that is coded badly. Very risky to get it, but as it stands you don't have any other choice if you want to own the show---or import from Hong Kong on ebay (has the dub track and all lol)
Norbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:26 am Reply with quote
Its a wonder they even bother outside Japan (I realise it's an import, but AniplexUSA is involved) since all the special features don't have English subtitles.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:11 am Reply with quote
My "bad" Bandai discs have been mostly-readable.

Try to play them on their own (either in a component player or a DVD drive), and they would glitch out.

However, the same DVD drive could copy them just fine, and the copies played perfectly. I had to do that for five or six different Bandai discs, after I got tired of continually trying to return them for functional ones. (Software assist like AnyDVD may have been required, I forget.)
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I haven't done the math, but that Blu-ray seemingly comes with a lot of shit. The entire show, both movies, four drama CDs, exclusive illustrations... Maybe it's still priced too high, but for all of that, I wouldn't expect it to run you the typical $30-50.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Crap. I was really hoping Funi, Sentai or someone else that would dub the show would grab Valvrave (Yeah, yeah. Ani's on the production community, etc.)

At this point you should expect pretty much every significant Aniplex title to go to AoA. Thats how its gone the last couple seasons (like with Tempest, Magi, Sword Art Online, Vividred, OreShura, etc). The days of them handing those titles to others are likely past us, due to how successful releasing them through the American branch has been.
AnimeCornerStore
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:59 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
People can white knight for Aniplex all they want, I refuse to believe this kind of pricing model is right for anime. I shouldn't have to sell a gallon of plasma to pay for entertainment.

You know, I've been accused of sounding 'douche like' in the past (on another forum) when speaking out against companies who want to try to bring the Japanese pricing model into R1. I've done that as far back as when Bandai Visual tried it. What needs to be said about this though? Fans are smart enough to understand what's happening here. Outrageous doesn't even begin to describe it.

Those who would like the series on BD will have to make their own choices, but I certainly can't see the value proposition. Buy a couple shares of APPL stock instead and get a dividend check every quarter. Wink

And there is plenty of inventory of the old Bandai GL DVD set still out there on the street at $50-$80ish. We still have a ton of them in stock. No need to pay anymore than that until those run out.

Bob (aka Robert)
President
The Anime Corner Store

Follow RACS on Twitter or Facebook
or on the RACS Official Blog
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 24