• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ace of Diamond (TV) (All Seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:11 pm Reply with quote

Looks like we're getting the whole game instead of a rushed clip show, but you won't see me complaining (though I do wonder how they're managing to play in the gale force winds blowing their hair and uniforms around Razz). Still hate the narration though. That's what Mine is for. Even though he made a brief appearance, he didn't even get to think anything this episode! Smile

Furuya, watch the third base coach, ya fool. Plus you could at least make them run you down instead of instantly giving up. Errors do happen. And don't act so shocked when you're called on the carpet for it. I don't know what's going on next episode, but it showed him pitching a ball, which he can't do in this game after being benched. Are they playing another game right after? Is he just chillin' in the bullpen? Dreaming? Hmm.

I like Asou ok, but I don't care so much for his li'l buddy Seki. Mostly because of his seiyuu, I think. He annoys me whenever he makes a sound.

Shirasu, "the white laser," got to show his stuff with that strike to home from the outfield. I thought only Miyuki and Furuya had rocket launchers like that.

As usual, love watching Miyuki think. Dose eyes...

Ran across this little bit of trivia about Sawamura's namesake. He's sure got some great shoes to fill. Just imagine a 17 year old high schooler striking out Charlie Gehringer, Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig and Jimmie Foxx in succession!! Shocked Shocked I get goosebumps just thinking about it. Too bad that game isn't on film in an archive somewhere. That'd really be something to watch.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:24 am Reply with quote

So looks like Okumura is coming into his own. But c'mon Ochiai, "best catcher in Tokyo"? Are you forgetting about Miyuki? I know he was probably thinking in future tense, but it didn't quite come across that way. Also, given his unconditional backing of Furuya, who is now falling apart, that doesn't exactly bode well for our Wolf Boy. Asada looked so super happy on the sidelines though.

Congrats to Sawamura on a complete game win. I don't know why the subs say he had 140 pitches when the Japanese stat card clearly says 110, which given his style of pitching and reliance on the fielders, is much more reasonable. Even stranger, they did the same thing to Furuya's stats for his game. I would've believed 140 for him, but no, he threw 110 too, only in 7 innings.

Lol at Mima fangirling Miyuki. I think the boy's in love. He's also the spitting image of Okumura, except in silver instead of gold.

The Yakushi interlude was interesting. Poor Todoroki is such an idiot son. I also felt bad at how off-model everyone was in that part. I barely recognized the coach, except for his being the only adult in the dugout. Actually, it wasn't just this segment, there was a lot of off-model crap throughout the whole episode, even in all the still frames. ::sigh::

I think Masashi is only on the team because he's Yuki's little bro. His hitting is unreliable and his fielding even worse.

Interesting stat comparison they did. Furuya:Sawmura with 19:8 Ks, but 8:1 walks. It's those walks that's killing Furuya's game, and it's always been a problem.

Btw, if you're a location junkie like me, here's what the real Seidou looks like. Seems to be abandoned now. Sad

edited to replace deleted video

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Sun May 19, 2024 6:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:18 am Reply with quote

Good ol' Ōta, always talking up Kawakami whenever he can. He deserves it though, as he's been really doing great this season.

Ochiai sez he'll work on Furuya's body and technique. Interesting that they mentioned "no injuries" twice in that one conversation...

Lol at Sawamura's modesty aura. He doesn't wear it well. Also, "Don't write bigger because you think no one will notice." Laughing

Finally figured out that the auburn-haired guy who keeps fighting with Kanemaru is Hiroomi Takatsu. I feel better now.

Best part of the episode was everyone giving Miyuki a hard time about what pro team he'd like to play for, and calling him a liar when he got all coy about it. Plus Furuya's brain shorting out.

This mostly seemed to be a day in the life episode, at least in the first half. "Intrigued, I approached and saw the shaft was glowing." What "ancient text" are they teaching these kids from?! Shocked Even so, the struggle to stay awake is real.

Heh, Furuya got so pissed at Miyuki for hitting off him he asked Ono to catch for him. Maybe they're a good fit though.

Definitely ended the ep with a bang though. Guess Ochiai wasn't watching close enough. The most surprising thing was hearing Miyuki think he didn't want to be left in the dust by Furuya (and I think Sawamura too). Didn't realize there were any cracks in his self-confidence or that he thought his pitchers could outpace him.

It bugs me that they keep showing closeups of a clenched fist and half the time I can't tell whose fist it is, so I don't know who's having a moment.

Who would've guessed Bobby Hill would grow up to play for Seidou!

Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:03 pm Reply with quote

Recap episoode told through the manager girls team. If you're wondering what the untranslated "speech block" next to Furuya while they're singing says, 口パク(kuchi paku) means "lip-syncing."

Found this, apparently from the manga, which I thought was sadly ironic.

Well, at least they're talking...
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Who would've guessed Bobby Hill would grow up to play for Seidou!

Yup. MMmhmmmm. Yup.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:26 am Reply with quote
^Thanks for the title update!

Ooh, new OP and ED. I like them!

Loved the Kuramochi flashback to his wild yanki youth! Quite the little hellraiser he was. I guess the bleach turned his hair permanently green. Wink The flashback of Miyuki and Sawamura working on the Numbers was fun too.

He even got on base with an rbi, albeit by an insanely lucky fluke. But he just can't trust Miyuki when he sincerely compliments him. "It makes you look even scarier!" "Oi." Then again, if he shot me a seductive side-eye like that, I'd be thrown too. Laughing

Miyuki had an introspective moment where he acknowledged his lack of social skills in the area of really expressing that he does care about his teammates - or maybe that he thinks he lacks empathy for them. He might be right. I hope we get to see some more of that in his remaining time with this bunch, as they help him grow, step by step.

They did something new this episode, with showing the key character in full resolution, while all the background characters are washed-out ghosts. It was pretty nice, but I have a feeling they're going to overuse that like all the other ways they avoid animation.

That's Sawamura. Looks like Detective Conan's artists are moonlighting...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:28 am Reply with quote

Got some really nice character work in this ep. While the bits of these prelim games feel like filler, this time there was more going on than just telling us the scores. Lots of onscreen text and sfx for some reason this ep. Kawakami got to start (and racked a win!), but he still didn't get much screen time. Sawamura's playing outfield and not doing so bad ("I got it! I got it!"), and even getting some hits now. Masashi's finally starting to connect instead of just spinning underneath his stationary batting helmet.

And then there's the catchers. There was a brief mention of Miyuki going to the Tokyo Tournament, though they never said a word about that until now. So first Yui-shounen finds himself having to choose between fielding or benchwarming. He chooses wisely. But then Wolf-boy is offered a chance to catch for Sawamura and, after a full 8 seconds of shocked silence from everyone, basically tells Coach to suck it if he can't play first string. Wolf did not choose wisely.

And then there's Miyuki, who was certainly feeling the heat of Okumura's breathing down his neck. Bring it, Wolf Boy. That whole scene among those three was great. Interesting conflicts, and we haven't gotten much of that this season.

I also loved the conversation between Yui and Furuya. That was nice. Sprogs grow up so fast.

Sawamura's crazy laughter all through this episode was starting to sound like he was channeling Todoroki. Stop that.

Still really like the new OP.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Sawamura (5-15, 17y) and Kuramochi (5-17, 18y)!!!!! Poor Asada, having to take the pictures. Party on, boys!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:10 am Reply with quote

Kanemaru's right. There really are a ton of people vying for 3rd base. Never thought of that as a particularly hot position, but he's got at least 3 serious rivals plus Furuya temping there. I guess Yui's not really a rival since he'd rather be catching.

The Okumura-cam views of Miyuki are always entertaining. And not all that far from the truth, actually.

Yakushi lost stupidly, Ichidai won, Inashiro won, nobody cares at this stage. Only Inashiro bringing in a new 1st year pitcher, Shinji Akamatsu, was noteworthy. Later Mei vs Mima, Mei wins. Shock! /s

Mogami finally got some screen time, being his lazy ass self. He might've turned a corner though. Not sure why he's even still on the team.

It just pains me that these guys are still struggling to eat. There's got to be a better way to keep them nourished than force feeding them. Seeing them with their chipmunk cheeks trying to swallow makes me want to sympathy vomit.

Took me awhile to understand what was going on in this endcard. Ow. That is one flexible boy!

Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:50 pm Reply with quote

It always warms my heart to see Nori get some recognition (and a complete game win!), and it was especially nice that it was Miyuki (telepathically) acknowledging his growth. His calling him the ace of their generation made me realize there really weren't any pitchers from that class that stood out, beside him. They just kinda jumped from Tanba to the two 1st year rookies, and kept him as relief.

It seems really odd that either the reporters don't know or aren't reporting it when key players get injured. I know this is high school, but there seems to be an avid following, and they get press for the games, so how do the fans never know why X isn't pitching for two weeks or half a season? Even when Tanba got nailed, how was that such a secret from the other teams? It was a public game, there were witnesses. Yet no one seemed to realize why he's not playing after that. Likewise, everyone is wondering why Furuya is pitching a second string game.

Really liked Okumura's come-to-Jesus realization that he's a bit out of his league, with Furuya's actual game pitches scaring and exhausting him in only 3 innings. But that mental breakthrough (and making 1st string of course) finally allowed him to say yes to catching for Sawamura...who was not about to let him off so easily. Miyuki is clearly rubbing off on him. Twisted Evil

Finally getting some more info about Miyuki's stint at the Tokyo Tournament. I dunno, playing some Boys Club kids scooped up from L.A. rather than a team from the best in the US seems a little insulting to me. Like, "bring us your best players and our local pick-up team will beat their pants off."

Looks like the animation was also handed off to the second string here. Poor Miyuki looked like an emaciated street urchin during their meeting about the Tokyo tourney (is this what happens if you skip one bowl of rice?), and characters were off-model at least half the time. Necks sometimes so long I thought I was watching Welcome to the Ballroom. But lol at his elders all giving him a hard time about what a smart-ass he was as a first year (or even as a second year - Ochiai wasn't around until then and even he had his number). And Okumura and Seto made first string after all (at least for now). So maybe he did choose wisely in defying Kataoka.

I'm enjoying watching Ochiai slowly coming around. I think he finally sees the error of his thinking that you could build a team around one player (which seems obviously foolish to me). Still...

. . This is not a face that says to me "I'm pleasantly surprised."
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:49 am Reply with quote

Miyuki's away for 3 days (and even seems to come back at night) and everyone sends him off like he's headed off to war and they may never see him again. Both hilarious and touching.

Mei's having the time of his life lording it over everyone on his home turf at the Tokyo Tourney. I liked Miyuki's appreciation for Yeung's pinpoint accuracy, compared to the pitchers he usually has to work with. Smile Coach Kunitomo really has his hands full putting together a team like this in one day. It's also a compliment to the players that he can.

Purple-eyed glowing Sawamura is an interesting look (I guess that was Okumura-vision as he seems inwardly afraid of him). Lol at everyone ambushing Miyuki with questions after Day 1.

Might be my imagination, but it seemed like there was a little more animation than usual this episode, especially with the Tokyo team practice. Nice. Then I see something like the tennis animation in Hoshiai no Sora and feel so jealous.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:19 am Reply with quote

The way they structured this episode was really self-defeating. Just as they were building interest in what was going on at Inashiro, they'd switch over to Seidou's games to see how everyone was doing, and no sooner than that started to get going, they'd switch back to Inashiro. Very frustrating.

Nice to see Yuki again, however briefly, and I chuckled when even Mine told "reporter" girlfriend to take it down a notch. I actually liked how they reused the footage of Miyuki returning to the dorms on Day 2, with almost the same dialog. For once it drove the point home rather than just cutting corners.

Oh no...the Engrish, it burns. It sounds like they farmed out the dialog to Odex dubbers - some sound like Japanese struggling with English, while others sound like possibly native speakers who just can't act at all. I also find it odd that for a team apparently gleaned from poor inner city kids, there are only two black kids on the team, and as far as I can tell, no Latinos. That would also be odd if they were gathered from the best of teams from everywhere, if the MLB is any indicator. Anyway, their dialog is also entertainingly awful, regardless of inflection. "So that's how Japanese samurai fight." "I thought their players would all be ninjas." Have none of these kids ever heard of Hideo Nomo or Ichiro Suzuki? And their pitcher's name is C. Weed. Laughing Good thing they left his cousins C. Breeze and C. Shore at home.

I think this reporter is Nori's dad...

Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:07 pm Reply with quote

Lol, they may have left C. Breeze and C. Shore at home, but at least they brought C. Harris. The new pitcher, J. Conrad, might conceivably be Latino, if that J. is for Juan or Jesus (but then they would've listed him as Jesus C.). I really like him though.

Aaaaand we're back to the flip-flopping between games. They really should've given two episodes (at least) to the Tokyo Tourney, and two to Seidou's games, alternating episodes rather than scenes. This format really sucks all the momentum out of the games.

Man, how can Furuya relax and pitch with Sawamura's stare drilling holes in him. Gods, the Kotari twins are super annoying. Actually, their whole team kinda is. Smile At least Furuya was funny denying he was trying to overpower their batters when he totally was.

Ha, do not underestimate Mei for his size. Talk about having a fire lit under you. Strange battery though - the pitcher looks like he's in junior high and the catcher looks like he's in his 30s. Looks like we're going to get a Mei/Miyuki battery next week after all.

This is J.C. after Mei's 1st K: and after his 2nd K:

I'm honestly not sure how to read that second face. Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:17 pm Reply with quote

Wow, a lot happened this episode. Oh no, Ono broke his finger on an unlucky pitch, leaving the slot open for Yui to catch for Furuya. I hope he does well. But the peanut gallery is right - Seidou does seem cursed at this time of year. It's especially bad for a 3rd year like Ono.

Then at Tokyo Tournament, Inui gets a bat to the back of his head. Even Miyuki was a little freaked out by that, but it also sets up for the Mei/Miyuki battery I've been waiting for. Sorry, Inui, ya gotta go. The American batter was in a no win position though. If he'd run after hitting him, he'd look like a callous jerk, but staying to see if he's ok, he gets tagged out. Doesn't quite seem fair, in a way.

Lol at all the pressure the Inashiro guys were dumping on Miyuki's head. Interesting confrontation in the battery there. Seems like Mei really has never forgiven him for turning him down, and is intent on showing him up. Still, it's rare to see Miyuki let a ball get by him, even a little. Hope he hits a homer next week. And that no one else gets hurt.

Very nice end card this time. Looks like there are 4 black players among the Americans, even if we only ever see 2 playing. Possibly even a Latino. Speaking of the Americans, if you listen closely, a couple of them seem to have Japanese-British accents in their American English, which isn't surprising, but it's amusing. Smile

(click for larger image)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:15 am Reply with quote

Miyuki's kinda getting shown up in this game, while Inashiro is owning it. Of course they do have 4 players in the lineup. His little dust-up with Mei last ep seems to have been completely forgotten about already, and Mei's back to his usual exaggerated King of the Field posturing. I don't even know why Umemiya is here, aside from his brief moment of being a talking point for the Americans because of his pompadour - he seems to have since been reduced to bench-warming cheerleader.

I see the American kids were "Dadgers" fans when they were young. But no self-respecting American player would ever say, "We're gonna get points!" I don't know why Japan calls runs "points" (maybe easier to pronounce?).

On the Seido front, Sawamura was in overdrive with the nicknames. Kuramochi is "the great cheetah" and "the storm vanguard." Kominato is "Seido's baby-faced devil," "top Haruichi," "iron heart," "demon mentality," and "Seido's black angel." Shirasu is "silent killer" and "true assassin." Poor Zono didn't get a real nickname, just the silenced-crying-babies trope and, "A weak, exaggerated head-scratcher of a head-first slider!" Furuya didn't do much better, branded, "Seido's simple-minded runaway train." Oh, and of course the title of the episode, "Fragile." He most definitely is that.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:12 am Reply with quote

This game is cursed for everyone. Furuya goes to pieces and gets pulled, Yui gets shoved to the outfield forcing a very unhappy Masashi to the bench, Kaneda started off pitching ok but couldn't hold it, and with 2 outs and 2 men on, Kominato hits one right into the fielder's glove to end the game. I thought Yui might redeem himself with his batting, since characters that get their flashback montage while at the plate usually produce, but not this time. And there goes their winning streak. Clearly the problem was sending Sawamura off to warm up and they were lost without his crazy ranting from the sidelines. Smile

Umemiya finally got to pitch to the Americans, who call him Elvis and think his teammates are calling him "Dora." Not that I know what that literally means either. Subs just say, "Oh yeah!" which sounds about right. They get a big hit off Umemiya, aaaand that's all we get of that game.

Because Sawamura is on the mound now and it's his episode from here on out. Coach is trusting him to "Lead the team" and is not making that easy, swapping out the whole field except for the Sawamura/Okumura battery. Hilarity ensues with Eijun teaching Wolf Boy how to breathe and doing his usual pre-game schtick to get everyone in sync. Then he knocks everybody's socks off. Booyah! Osu, osu, osu? Or should I say

I do not know what is going on with this Seiho (not Seido) team's noses. The coach seems to be an alcoholic and this guy looks like Cyborg 002 with a haircut.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 23