• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Akame ga KILL!

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MidoriUma

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:08 pm Reply with quote
blindworm wrote:
this is the series, nothing. blood and that's it. and i can't really say it's not supposed to be taken seriously, or it's just a exagerated "fun" series when it's throwing such horrible themes at us and treats them like a child would that i can't call it "fun" just childish

Sounds terrible. If I were you, I'd never watch it or comment on it again, to save yourself from such horrid material.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I jsut read an interview with the author where he specifically says he was inspired by period dramas about assassins.

HaruhiToy wrote:
Theron has a tough row to hoe on this one. I am really looking forward to what he has to say. I have mixed feelings about the episode.

To me the central question for the episode and indeed the major part of the story is: was Esdeath really going to kill Tatsumi or was she just testing him?

My guess is that she was going to do a not fatal hit then freeze him.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:09 pm Reply with quote
The direction the series is going is really just disappointing. These deaths are happening left and right with absolutely no rhyme or reason. Heck even if some of the deaths were random at least they were paced out better before.

It would have been nice to ACTUALLY see Mine and Tatsumi in a relationship because as the review stated her death turned into a pretty cliche love interest death. Really just feels like they are rushing this ending to me. Skipping entire chapters of character development as well doesn't help either.

And sorry but spoiler[Mine] beating one of the most powerful opponents in the capital who was on ESDEATH's level of strength is just pure contrived bullshit. In fact I'm being told that in the manga spoiler[Mine's shot merely annoyed Budou but it did not come close to killing him].

Is there a reason this was changed? Because honestly it's just a poor depiction of the guys power. It would be one thing if spoiler[Mine's shot] severely wounded him so the others could take him out but spoiler[Mine] doing it alone? So dumb. It's one thing to make changes due to time constraints but they have to be changes that MAKE SENSE.

Also is there a reason Esdeath didn't just kill Najenda instead of spoiler[Susano?] Doesn't she know killing the owner of the organic imperial arms would lead to both of their deaths? That part just didn't make sense to me. But I suppose magically being able to stop time because of "love" makes just as much sense.

Gah feels like I'm talking about Madara all over again Wink
gedata

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:21 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:

To me the central question for the episode and indeed the major part of the story is: was Esdeath really going to kill Tatsumi or was she just testing him?

The reason why Esdeath cut off Tatsumi’s shirt isn’t because she wanted to see his pecks (well, OK, perhaps that’s one reason why), she did it because she wanted to be able to see the specific points to stab him whilst leaving him alive as long as possible (she’s an expert when it comes to human anatomy as a result of having tortured people many times during her career). Her plan was to test the tenacity he had plastered on his face by seeing how long he could survive the torture. I think it came across more clearly in the manga.
Quote:

[quote="leatherhead333"]Also is there a reason Esdeath didn't just kill Najenda instead of spoiler[Susano?] Doesn't she know killing the owner of the organic imperial arms would lead to both of their deaths? That part just didn't make sense to me. But I suppose magically being able to stop time because of "love" makes just as much sense.

The reason why she wanted to fight Susanoo was for the fun of it, that's all.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:30 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
The direction the series is going is really just disappointing. These deaths are happening left and right with absolutely no rhyme or reason.

I never understand complaints like this. To me it looks a lot like the transition in chess between the middle-game and the end-game. It is a point in the game when cherished pieces are spent left and right in an effort to get an upper hand. If you end up with so much as one pawn more than the opponent at the end game you have a decisive advantage and other things being equal you should win.

What I think this kind of viewer is missing is the faux-sentimentality that is usually a hard requirement for anime in this category. Everyone you like has to live and everyone you hate has to die.

What hasn't been discussed is why would Night Raid spend 2-3 valuable pieces in exchange for one -- Tatsumi. I recall someone saying that his Imperial Arms Incursio was critical to the final conflict. If so we should be looking for what that is.
Legendzerox

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Eh watching plenty of animes with deaths and fake deaths, I will hold out until next episode to make a judgement whether or not Mine is dead. Is she mostly likely dead? Yes. Could she just collapsed and fainted? Yes. Its not clear enough of the outcome till next episode.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:40 pm Reply with quote
The anime doesn't do a lot of justice to this latter portion of the manga. There is so much more subtext that can be read into the manga than what is here in the anime.

spoiler[For instance, the way the PM reacts to his son's death, along with earlier statements he makes about Esdeath, suggest that he may be looking to use her in a scheme to get a replacement heir. The emphasis placed on Kurome's ability in the chapters leading up to this part of the manga raise the specter of Esdeath possibly looking to use Kurome's ability on Tatsumi. The battle with Budou and Esdeath is more dire because Susanoo's trump card was already used in a prior battle not animated - sort of - in the anime (the battle in episode 21 is basically a half-recreation of what should have been that earlier battle in the manga. ]

That being said, they anime writers will be mostly tested in the next episodes. Up to this last episode they were still basically recompiling disparate events of the manga, only readjusting their order, outcome and some dialogue. However, they have to stand on their own skills almost entirely in the final batch of episodes. Does anyone know how much input the manga's author has in this production?
Legendzerox

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:45 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
The anime doesn't do a lot of justice to this latter portion of the manga. There is so much more subtext that can be read into the manga than what is here in the anime.

spoiler[For instance, the way the PM reacts to his son's death, along with earlier statements he makes about Esdeath, suggest that he may be looking to use her in a scheme to get a replacement heir. The emphasis placed on Kurome's ability in the chapters leading up to this part of the manga raise the specter of Esdeath possibly looking to use Kurome's ability on Tatsumi. The battle with Budou and Esdeath is more dire because Susanoo's trump card was already used in a prior battle not animated - sort of - in the anime (the battle in episode 21 is basically a half-recreation of what should have been that earlier battle in the manga. ]

That being said, they anime writers will be mostly tested in the next episodes. Up to this last episode they were still basically recompiling disparate events of the manga, only readjusting their order, outcome and some dialogue. However, they have to stand on their own skills almost entirely in the final batch of episodes. Does anyone know how much input the manga's author has in this production?

He is the scenario director in the anime. I also hear that he is helping the director lead akame ga kill anime in a different direction to have a different and original ending separate of the manga.
blindworm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:59 am Reply with quote
MidoriUma wrote:
blindworm wrote:
this is the series, nothing. blood and that's it. and i can't really say it's not supposed to be taken seriously, or it's just a exagerated "fun" series when it's throwing such horrible themes at us and treats them like a child would that i can't call it "fun" just childish

Sounds terrible. If I were you, I'd never watch it or comment on it again, to save yourself from such horrid material.

lol, well someone sounds like a typical fan of this series Razz

HaruhiToy wrote:
leatherhead333 wrote:
The direction the series is going is really just disappointing. These deaths are happening left and right with absolutely no rhyme or reason.

I never understand complaints like this. To me it looks a lot like the transition in chess between the middle-game and the end-game. It is a point in the game when cherished pieces are spent left and right in an effort to get an upper hand. If you end up with so much as one pawn more than the opponent at the end game you have a decisive advantage and other things being equal you should win.

What I think this kind of viewer is missing is the faux-sentimentality that is usually a hard requirement for anime in this category. Everyone you like has to live and everyone you hate has to die.

What hasn't been discussed is why would Night Raid spend 2-3 valuable pieces in exchange for one -- Tatsumi. I recall someone saying that his Imperial Arms Incursio was critical to the final conflict. If so we should be looking for what that is.

but just like chess pieces, they're pieces of wood that we're given little to care about. they really have no personality, just quirks. most to all development is nothing more then the author giving a last minute reason for us to care about them at that given time since they may die and we need to feel sad. the author forgets about that since just about everything in between fight scenes is just exposition in order to lead into the next fight scene
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:57 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
leatherhead333 wrote:

That's not the issue at all. I know how to distinguish my expectations for a show like this. People are going to die..........period. In a setting like this it would be pretty stupid if everyone survived in my opinion. That's fine.

But as blindworm clearly pointed out don't you think that the developments in the characters are lacking? Why is it that Leone, Lubbock, Susanoo have all been in the show for a significant amount of time but have almost NEVER received any sort of development or attention in the story? Chelesa was barely around half the time these people were and STILL got some sort of development.

I just don't see any excuse for this kind of character progression. The anime chooses the people it wants to focus on even if those choices don't make much sense. In other words most folks are merely being treated as "pawns" not "characters". A simple quirk doesn't make me care about a character which is what Akame ga Kill seems to be relying on.

That's particularly why these constant deaths are rather off putting. If these people were properly established aside from being "that boobs lady" or "that pervert" I wouldn't mind this scenario at all.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:23 am Reply with quote
(About Ep. 22)
With both the Jaegers' and Night Raid's numbers dwindling, I'm curious to see how the remaining forces' clash(es) will be
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:03 pm Reply with quote
My biggest coimplaint is the blonde guy reveal being that surprising for wave, as wave also wants to fix the empire from the inside, sio him being surprised is completely off character. this reminds me of how similar wave is to tatsumi and how better it would have been for the in-fiction universe if esdeas had fallen for him instead.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:14 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
My biggest coimplaint is the blonde guy reveal being that surprising for wave, as wave also wants to fix the empire from the inside, sio him being surprised is completely off character. this reminds me of how similar wave is to tatsumi and how better it would have been for the in-fiction universe if esdeas had fallen for him instead.

I'm not sure if Wave actually is trying to fix the empire from the inside. I feel like he understands there are problems, but I feel like he is more similar to "initial" Tatsumi in that his primary concern is the people in his own home town. Wave comes more across to me as a soldier who does his job because it keeps his family and friends safe, even as he understands there are some negative aspects of what he's doing. Perhaps he is similar to Bols in that respect, but I do wonder if Wave would refuse to commit some of the atrocities that Bols did given his reaction to Seryu slaughtering petty criminals.

As for Esdeath falling for Wave, I think that wouldn't have worked in the context of how the writers wanted to play her character. I think there is something about Tatsumi's "innocence" and morality that makes him attractive to her. Wave has been partially corrupted, so he wouldn't have that same appeal to her. I'm not certain if the show's writers have fully decided why Esdeath is so interested in that part of Tatsumi. Maybe it will be explained by the end of the season, or maybe it will be left open for us to ponder. I personally feel like Esdeath is above all a conqueror, and she has conquered everything except an innocent heart, so she is compelled to win that final battle.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I think that's a reasonable interpretation, CK, and certainly better than the alternatives (i.e. that Tatsumi is a harem master or that it would look cute).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I think that's a reasonable interpretation, CK, and certainly better than the alternatives (i.e. that Tatsumi is a harem master or that it would look cute).

Lol. Yea, I certainly hope it wouldn't be one of those alternatives. I would be very intrigued if it was about her just seeing it as her only unconquered territory so to speak. If so, it would be the first time I've seen that plot device used in a long time. I know I've seen it elsewhere but I can't recall where off the top of my head. (And I am speaking specifically of the device where the main villain sincerely wants to win an innocent heart/lover, not simply corrupt or take a good person hostage.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 24 of 30