• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-02-16]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kolibri

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:58 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
It's nowhere close to a record.

So what is the record, out of curiosity, and do I want to know what it was about?

edit - typo, yes in one sentence... go me

Last edited by kolibri on Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Zanafarr

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:17 am Reply with quote
[quote="overlord_mordax"]
Quote:
This is my last post for tonight, I have somewhere to be, but IO'll answer any further questiosn tommorow, happily.

Okay, I have a serious question.

Before you answer it, understand that I believe that you're either schizophrenic, or suffer from a very overactive imagination and lack the originality to channel it into anything other than other people's fictional characters. Therefore you'll excuse me for being rather excessively skeptical on many of these finer points.

Let's say that, hypothetically, someone believes that they're the reincarnation of Jack Bauer. I know that we'd all like to be Jack Bauer, because he's so hard that he can cut bricks in half with his dick, but let's say that there's someone who's otakukin (if that's the term) of Jack Bauer.

Now, let's say that when spoiler[at the end of season 5, Jack was captured and tortured by the Chinese for about two years], this otakukin didn't like that. Like regular people might, he might feel that it was cruel, perhaps excessive, and that the character didn't really deserve that level of brutality.

But let's say that he doesn't 'remember' such a thing happening to him in a past life, or that it felt as if something else happened instead. Maybe Jack went home, made up with his daughter, and lived happily ever after or something.

Now, as a writer myself, I know that the people behind the show (who don't plan out the seasons in advance and literally do make it up as they go along, for those who are interested in the production of 24) only included this as an ending because they wanted an exciting, tense cliffhanger for the season. It was a last minute decision, and was included as a technique to push Fox into securing the rights to the following season.

But for an otakukin, how does that translate? I mean, if the writers are little more than passive 'chanellers', like spirit mediums for fictional characters (and how I wish that was true - no more struggling to come up with something new for the next book), how would an otakukin relate to anything about their character that they don't feel sits right?

(I should note, I could have very easily asked this about presentations of characters in yaoi fanfics, but that's a can of worms I don't want to open. This hypothetical will do just fine)
StickyToffeePopcorn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Zanafarr wrote:
overlord_mordax wrote:
This is my last post for tonight, I have somewhere to be, but IO'll answer any further questiosn tommorow, happily.

Okay, I have a serious question.

I don't think he's looking at this topic anymore, but he said to email him.

MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Steroid wrote:
Throw out the criterion of reality, and you come to an unavoidable conclusion: anime life is better than real life

...Um. No, it isn't.

The grass is always greener on the other side, even if an anime character's life is drama-filled.

SalarymanJoe wrote:
I got a couple of smiles out of thier comments page linked to that post. But I've honestly got nothing more to say about the whole Otakukin issue. This thread has gone past twenty pages with no real, solid, resolution.

There isn't one.

Zac wrote:
None of this is really sincere; I don't believe that any of these kids really sincerely in their heart of hearts believe that they're a reincarnated anime character.

Although I agree that this is probably true for the vast majority of Otakukin, I also believe that many have fully convinced themselves of this reality (as some other people have mentioned). I don't think the kid in this topic was one of those people, though...
therealssjlink

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to recommend a good manga/anime to the Otakukin. They can use it as their "proof".

Please Save My Earth.....
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:14 pm Reply with quote
kolibri wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

So what is the record, out of curiosity, and do I want to know what it was about?
I'm guessing it was the thread in response to this column from July 28th, 2006, concerning the lolicon issue. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the thread -- has the Talkback Forum been purged of old threads or something?
Steroid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
kolibri wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

I'm guessing it was the thread in response to this column from July 28th, 2006, concerning the lolicon issue. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the thread -- has the Talkback Forum been purged of old threads or something?

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=26445

Dere ya go.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:12 pm Reply with quote
mistress_reebi wrote:
I was saying that "just because they aren't hurting anyone is ok" is false because they are hurting themselves. This is a mental disorder that needs help and by saying, "let them believe in this lie" isn't going to help them. Would you rather have people find out the truth right now, or would you rather they live the rest of their lives in a different world than everyone else? Obviously, I can't go to each person who believes they are an anime character and change them now, but telling the truth now may cause some to think that what they are believing is a lie. Instead of attacking the people on the otherside, think about what they are saying and come up with something against them. After all debates are supposed to reveal the truth instead of going after the otherside.

You got it right. This is clearly a mental disorder. I'm pretty sure it's in the DSM-IV. You could say it's anything from general delusions or a full Schizophrenic delusional psychotic breakdown. Now, I belive usually it's described clasically as people believing they're Jesus or Napoleon, but it's the same crap with anime characters.

Ok, I'm not exactly a psych major, but I did take a number of classes with my biology major.

Though it's true that the level of mental illness is measured on how well or if they function in everyday life.

These Otakins are in need of some serious therapy. Hell, I just have social anxiety problems myself and am seeing someone for that. So maybe these people should just see someone as a check up.

pat_payne wrote:
When you have a person mae the claim that a mangaka "bastardized the events of [his] life", this is just a little way from hiding outside the Dakota Hotel with a revolver.

Yeah. They definately need to see someone before one of these people go all Mark David Chapman and anime becomes infamous like Catcher in the Rye.

"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes".

Also, upon looking things up, I was reminded of this story:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Three_Christs_of_Ypsilanti
What happens when we put multiple 'Narutos' into a room. Would they just think they performed a clone jutsu?
championferret

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:47 pm Reply with quote
((Not that I am asking for it in any way at all, and I'll probably be hung, drawn and quartered for even brining this up...but I sure would hate to see what horrific 300+ page thread would be born from this 'debate' and the lolicon 'debate' crossing over. People for lolicon= The children arent real, it doesnt matter! People against lolicon=Its still pedophilia! Otakukin=THEY ARE SO REAL!))
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Now that you mention it ferret, if Otakukin were correct about their crackpot ideas then that would mean that lolicon would actually be pedophilia because they're renderings of real people that are in another dimension. Maybe we can use this to turn the borderline pedophiles against the slightly-more-than-borderline nut cases and help make the internet make a little more sense in the process.
overlord_mordax

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
understand that I believe that you're either schizophrenic, or suffer from a very overactive imagination and lack the originality to channel it into anything other than other people's fictional characters. BLAH BLAH BLAH

Okay, you are all missing the god damned point. I am getting seriously pissed off by people saying that I need mental help.

I HAVE BEEN TO A PSYCOLOGIST. We discussed the fact that I believe myself to be the reincarnation of a person whose life is written about in an anime. THE DOCTOR HAD NO PROBLEM WITH THIS, AND FILED IT UNDER THE CATEGORY OF SPIRITUAL BELIEFS. He said it was no sicker than believing in god.

I have held a job. Though I am currently between jobs, that was NOT because I was otakukin. I have a healthy romantic relationship, and have maintained an apartment with my partner for over a year and a half now. A

And as for not being creative I'm an author.

I have mo delusions about sepcial powers. The only power I have is the freaking common sense not to say that people with unusual spiritual beliefs are likely to hurt themselves or others.

I am not Charels Manson people, I am a 21 year old girl who was Ken Ichijouji in a past life. I'm not violet, or suicidal, or depressed, or retarded. And those of you who think that, just because you don't agree with my beliefs are a bunch of loser plebes who can't see past the nose on your own faces.

Last edited by overlord_mordax on Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lyrai

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:43 pm Reply with quote
overlord_mordax wrote:
Quote:
understand that I believe that you're either schizophrenic, or suffer from a very overactive imagination and lack the originality to channel it into anything other than other people's fictional characters. BLAH BLAH [expletive] BLAH

Okay, you are all missing the god damned point. I am getting seriously pissed off by people saying that I need mental help.

I HAVE BEEN TO A PSYCOLOGIST. We discussed the fact that I believe myself to be the reincarnation of a person whose life is written about in an anime. THE DOCTOR HAD NO PROBLEM WITH THIS, AND FILED IT UNDER THE CATEGORY OF SPIRITUAL BELIEFS. He said it was no sicker than believing in god.

I have held a job. Though I am currently between jobs, that was NOT because I was otakukin. I have a healthy romantic relationship, and have maitained an apartment with my partner for over a year and a half now. A

And as for not being [expletive] creative I'm an author.

I have mo delusions about sepcial powers. The only power I have is the freaking common sense not to say that people with unusual spiritual beliefs are likely to hurt themselves or others.

I am not Charels Manson people, I am a 21 year old girl who was Ken Ichijouji in a past life. I'm not violet, or suicidal, or depressed, or retarded. And those of you who think trhat, just because you don't agree with my beliefs are a bunch of loser plebes who can't see past the nose on your own faces.

The sheer amount of typos and errors in that post makes me wonder if all that stuff (ESPECIALLY the doctor bit) is as real as your belief about who you were in a past life.
overlord_mordax

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The sheer amount of typos and errors in that post makes me wonder if all that stuff (ESPECIALLY the doctor bit) is as real as your belief about who you were in a past life.

So typos= liar now? I didn't get THAT memo.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Wow, you're a girl?

Forgive me if I'm being weird, but...how does that work? As far as I know with typical reincarnation beliefs, generally you stay the same gender in your reincarnations, don't you? (At least, if I understood right when I lived in India...)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:04 pm Reply with quote
overlord_mordax wrote:

I am not Charels Manson people, I am a 21 year old girl who was Ken Ichijouji in a past life. I'm not violet, or suicidal, or depressed, or retarded. And those of you who think that, just because you don't agree with my beliefs are a bunch of loser plebes who can't see past the nose on your own faces.

I don't agree with your beliefs, but dude, you had a rockin' seiyuu in your past life.

And you know what, I don't think you or any other otaku-kin are violent, suicidal, depressed, or retarded. I don't think that otaku-kin are going to come cause me bodily harm. If someone very sanely told me that they thought they were a reincarnation of King Arthur, I'd look at them just as strangely. It doesn't mean I wish ill on the otaku-kin community; if they want to believe they're actually anime characters reincarnated, that's fine. But what does bother me is that many of these people can't step back and realize how utterly ridiculous it sounds to the rest of us, and then start saying they're being persecuted. I don't see any otaku-kin concentration camps anywhere. So for God's sake, just learn to live with the fact that people are going to think you're strange if you say that your soul actually belonged to a cartoon character in an alternate universe. (not you specifically, overlord_mordax.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
championferret

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I heard that gender isnt a major issue with reincarnation. For example, a few people have told me about really young girls who randomly say, "when I was a boy..." non-chalantly. When they get older, they dont remember ever saying this. One of my older friend's 5 year old sisters used to do this alot, but when she got older and was questioned what she meant she didn't know what they were referring to. Whether you want to file this under possible 'evidence' for reincarnation or little kids being weird like they generally do is up to you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 24 of 29