• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: After the Rain

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pip25

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Ryutai wrote:

I think what she really wants was already clear in many scenes. For example, when she ran in one of the first episodes to give a client his smartphone back, when she chose in the library a photo book about running, when she was listening to the sound of the wind.

Without wanting to go into whether those scenes actually expressed what you think they expressed, perhaps you'd agree that at the very least, Kondo's dreams and wishes were presented and talked about in a lot more explicit manner than Akira's ever were.
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:40 pm Reply with quote
piebaker wrote:
So, apparently the anime is ending soon and the manga has actually ended. For those who are curious, I'd take this with a grain of salt since I pretty much just read this on the MAL forums: [...]
Does the information you felt compelled to post behind the spoiler tag say anything about Midori? Does she still write?

This particular series is, in no small part, about literature and those who create it. Do you enjoy reading? If so, how do you approach a story you haven't read yet? Do you go to the last page of the final book in a series before you read what it says on page one, and go from there?

Do you remember seeing Midori in any of the flashbacks showing moments when the members of the university literary circle gathered? Were they ever in the same room together or did Midori and Masami meet through correspondence, perhaps solely through letters, before they married at some unspecified point in time? One more episode, apparently. Do you think we'll found out about such matters in the anime?
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:59 pm Reply with quote
@#Verso.Sciolto
Midori still writes.
She publishes erotic novels about sexually frustrated housewives.
She discovers about Akira and becomes her friend, totally TeamAkira.
She encourages Kondo and plays with him suggesting that she teached Akira what he likes in bed (and also suggesting that this time he tries harder to also please the woman).
She cashes in writhing a novel highbout a prohibited romance between a old man and a high schooler.
Akira's mother discuss and fights with her, they can't be friends.
Akira's mother stabs her with a knife, is jailed.
Akira becomes Yuto's mother.
Kondo commit's seppuku.
Akira raises Yuto, he grows into a stud and start lusting her.
He just looks so much like his dead father... Akira is tempted.

Now you continue.

pip25 wrote:
What is starting to annoy me at this point is while Kondo's dreams of literature and a career as a writer are well fleshed out, Akira and track is still little more than a blank slate. And worse yet, people (including the reviewer) are projecting their own ideas on this blank slate, presenting them as something Akira wants, while in reality, she has been incredibly, almost infuriatingly passive about the whole thing, not really displaying emotions one way or the other - heck, her outburst in the most recent episode could be interpreted as "Why can't people finally drop the subject?!"

Sure, Akira's current situation is not ideal. However, that problem has more to do with isolation, not with her missing from the track team. In fact, I am having reservations of a friendship that so completely lives or dies on a shared hobby, and of a friend (Haruka) whose only plan of mending said friendship is to demand that Akira returns to said shared hobby, preferably RIGHT NOW.

I am simply frustrated that everyone, both within the show and among the audience, has the plan all laid out for what's best for Akira, and yet we know so little of her own true feelings and thoughts, even after the penultimate episode.

I'm sure that someone already pointed that Akira is different from Kondo in the way that she is not wordy about what she feels and wants, those informations are conveyed for us visually. This difference is consistent since episode 1. Both her outbursts and passiveness are the development, this last episode had examples of both. Her isolation comes from running away from the team, and Haruka is not just any friend, she is the friend with who Akira made plans for her dream.

I think I understand your complain, but it's there, it just wasn't satisfactory for you.
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
@#Verso.Sciolto
Midori still writes.
She publishes erotic novels about sexually frustrated housewives.
She discovers about Akira and becomes her friend, totally TeamAkira.
She encourages Kondo and plays with him suggesting that she teached Akira what he likes in bed (and also suggesting that this time he tries harder to also please the woman).
She cashes in writhing a novel highbout a prohibited romance between a old man and a high schooler.
Akira's mother discuss and fights with her, they can't be friends.
Akira's mother stabs her with a knife, is jailed.
Akira becomes Yuto's mother.
Kondo commit's seppuku.
Akira raises Yuto, he grows into a stud and start lusting her.
He just looks so much like his dead father... Akira is tempted.

Now you continue.
From the episodes after Chihiro brought the autumn 1989 issue of their self-published literary circle's journal, I do not get the impression 丘嶋みどり(?) still wrote into adulthood, after she became Mrs 近藤 and became Yuto's mother. Their self-published magazine an imaginative use of doujins by people suggested having neither the aptitude nor the taste for such matters. Turning over a new leaf?

(find > found)

... and adding that I can't help but wonder if there was ever anyone else present from their circle, in moments like these:

Last edited by #Verso.Sciolto on Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Terrible90sDub

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:26 pm Reply with quote
pip25 wrote:
What is starting to annoy me at this point is while Kondo's dreams of literature and a career as a writer are well fleshed out, Akira and track is still little more than a blank slate. And worse yet, people (including the reviewer) are projecting their own ideas on this blank slate, presenting them as something Akira wants, while in reality, she has been incredibly, almost infuriatingly passive about the whole thing, not really displaying emotions one way or the other - heck, her outburst in the most recent episode could be interpreted as "Why can't people finally drop the subject?!"

Sure, Akira's current situation is not ideal. However, that problem has more to do with isolation, not with her missing from the track team. In fact, I am having reservations of a friendship that so completely lives or dies on a shared hobby, and of a friend (Haruka) whose only plan of mending said friendship is to demand that Akira returns to said shared hobby, preferably RIGHT NOW.

I am simply frustrated that everyone, both within the show and among the audience, has the plan all laid out for what's best for Akira, and yet we know so little of her own true feelings and thoughts, even after the penultimate episode.

Akira's emotions are often shown through the current weather conditions or her feet. The second one sounds a little funny, but I imagine it's because it also allows us to see a reminder of her injury, which is normally visible in such shots.

This doesn't always make it 100% clear what exactly she's thinking (if anything, as she may sometimes be emoting without thinking too much about it), but I honestly find a bit refreshing since there's so many anime characters who instead go around yelling their dreams to anyone within earshot.

That said, I would probably find it hilarious if it ends with her declaring, in true anime fashion, "I am Akira, and no matter what happens, I WILL BE THE BEST RUNNER IN THE WORLD! KAMAAAAABAHHH"

I think it's Akira who made that returning to track requirement instead of Haruka. Haruka did try to hang out with her outside of track, but then it was Akira who ran off (er, ironically) saying that things can't go back to the way they were. The idea that Akira is fighting against a fear of anything related to track would play very well into that behavior.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Happens in Vegas stays in Vegas scenario....nah, lol, very unlikely this scenario will play out. Haven't read the manga so I have zero background ideas or expectations toward the ancillary characters. Akira is quite direct when her mind is set on a goal. This aspect of her self has been brought out periodically throughout the series. To me, it looks like platonic at best between Kondo and Akira if it's revolving around "relationship". However, they could become real friends for life if the foundation is set right. And so far, that appears to be the direction this story is trending toward.
pip25

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Terrible90sDub wrote:

I think it's Akira who made that returning to track requirement instead of Haruka. Haruka did try to hang out with her outside of track, but then it was Akira who ran off (er, ironically) saying that things can't go back to the way they were. The idea that Akira is fighting against a fear of anything related to track would play very well into that behavior.

The exact opposite happened, as far as I'm aware. It was Akira who invited Haruka to the summer festival, and then Haruka flipped because Akira wasn't immediately forthcoming about her crush on a guy several decades older than her.
Oh, and what was the subject Haruka's been going on and on about during their time there? You guessed it, track. This is another thing that frustrates me, because despite Haruka's claims to the contrary, there seems to be nothing to hold their friendship together right now other than track and some common childhood memories. It's as if they simply have no other topic. If this doesn't change, they will quickly grow apart after graduation regardless of whether Akira actually rejoins the club or not.
Terrible90sDub

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:31 pm Reply with quote
pip25 wrote:

The exact opposite happened, as far as I'm aware. It was Akira who invited Haruka to the summer festival, and then Haruka flipped because Akira wasn't immediately forthcoming about her crush on a guy several decades older than her.
Oh, and what was the subject Haruka's been going on and on about during their time there? You guessed it, track. This is another thing that frustrates me, because despite Haruka's claims to the contrary, there seems to be nothing to hold their friendship together right now other than track and some common childhood memories. It's as if they simply have no other topic. If this doesn't change, they will quickly grow apart after graduation regardless of whether Akira actually rejoins the club or not.

What I meant was Haruka is the one who took the initial steps to repair their relationship, through seeking Akira out and exchanging those gatcha keychains. Akira is the one who invited her there, yes, which was a step in a positive direction, but then Akira runs off towards Kondo (thus abandoning her when she could've ignored him since she invited Haruka, not him), and in the aftermath, pushes Haruka away instead of trying to explain the situation or build bridges. There are a great number of alternative actions Akira could've taken there, and Haruka's initial reaction ("... but he's so old!") is rather expected. Haruka only seemed to get as upset as she eventually did because of Akira's reaction afterward, where she explicitly said something along the lines of things not being able to go back to how they were.

To be fair, Akira doesn't really have... much of anything, besides their lost passions, in common with Kondo, but finds a way anyway. Kondo's relationship with Chihiro also revolves around past memories and primarily one topic, writing. I personally would love to see both the Akira + Haruka and Kondo + Chihiro groups talk about more, and just... more screen time with both of them in general, as I find myself liking those scenes the best, but... they're both "in repair" at the moment, so baby steps. Sometimes, relationships can also just be hanging out rather than talking about anything specifically.
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:33 pm Reply with quote
bemused Bohemian wrote:
Happens in Vegas stays in Vegas scenario...
The place where the two old boys meet and briefly reminisce over entries in their university circle's self-published journal is a bar frequented by students. A young woman making her exit with a female friend is heard expressing adulation for the published author who signed a book for her inside. The two middle-aged men meet in a place where they used to drink as students themselves. So let's say Waseda rather than Vegas for such imaginary scenarios. Is there an idiom like that? What happens at Waseda stays at Waseda? Class of 89, tentatively based on the cover-paper on the doujin and possibly the numbers on Kondo's sweater - as shown in the image posted above, also attached to this episode's preview. Waseda landmark drawn visibly in the background. What else would two veterans of that university's "drinking" culture talk about at a miniature reunion in the new millennium? They possibly enrolled in the year Keizo Obuchi unveiled the start of a new era, renamed to mark the end of one.
What would Seiichi Ota or Yasuo Fukuda have to say about a character like Masami Kondo, we may well wonder. Vegas. Always interesting, cultural references.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:16 am Reply with quote
fanfiction.net is thataway.
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:41 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
fanfiction.net is thataway.
This is a series about writing and writers. About educating young women. Did Midori Okajima (?) stop writing after she married Masami Kondo, Gina Szanboti?

In one episode she is briefly visible when she delivers tea to his writing desk and she is partially shown in photos with their child, during his school entrance ceremony. Her writing is briefly mentioned in the university circle's doujinshi.

Feminism is about equality, it was stated a few pages back. Does Midori's writing career or role within the Waseda University literary circle of friends seem equally represented, to you?

Natsume Soseki was mentioned a few times. Any thoughts on the education and life of Kyoko Nakane? Spot any mentions of Ichiyo Higuchi in this series sprinkled with literary references?

Botchan?
Sorekara?
Ryutai

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:43 am Reply with quote
Laughing
pip25

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:42 am Reply with quote
Terrible90sDub wrote:

What I meant was Haruka is the one who took the initial steps to repair their relationship, through seeking Akira out and exchanging those gatcha keychains. Akira is the one who invited her there, yes, which was a step in a positive direction, but then Akira runs off towards Kondo (thus abandoning her when she could've ignored him since she invited Haruka, not him), and in the aftermath, pushes Haruka away instead of trying to explain the situation or build bridges. (...)

The anime's presentation might be largely at fault here, but most of Akira's time in school is portrayed as being spent in almost complete isolation. On one hand, this is because Akira does not really associate with anyone (which is a problem), but on the other hand, it's also because her supposed friends don't actually seek her out. To say that Haruka made a large effort because (by chance!) she came across Akira trying to get a special keychain is not all that convincing in comparison. Akira's decision to invite her to the festival feels a lot more like a meaningful and conscious choice, especially since she's the one with psychological problems in the first place.

As for Akira "abandoning" her during the festival, I think this is being blown out of proportion. She excused herself, greeted him, then came back. The whole exchange took at most 15 seconds. It did show to Haruka that Akira considers Kondo to be an important person to her, because she did go out of her way to greet him, but not much beyond that. (Akira's reaction to her follow-up question of course did betray everything else.) And also let's not mix up cause and effect: Haruka flipped out first, saying that Akira "doesn't tell her anything anymore", after which they got into an argument, which ended with Haruka running away after Akira's aforementioned "things can't go back to the way they were" line. Which, by the way, from her point of view, seemed absolutely true - the whole story between them so far seems to be about Akira changing (for better or worse), and Haruka refusing to accept it.

I completely agree that simply hanging out is really what both of them should be doing. That is what's working out so much better for Kondo and Chihiro: sure, they will talk about literature a lot (Kondo still enjoys the subject despite claiming to have abandoned it, unlike Akira), but they also spent a whole night at their favorite restaurant/bar/whatever drinking and just chilling out. If Haruka really wants to help Akira, she would do well to ban the track topic for at least a day, and talk about something else. Anything, really, even the weather if all else fails. If there's something to learn about Akira's and Kondo's relationship, it's that even very different people may find that they have things in common, things to talk about - if an effort is made.
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:07 am Reply with quote
Perhaps another picture to illustrate ...
#Verso.Sciolto wrote:
... and adding that I can't help but wonder if there was ever anyone else present from their circle, in moments like these:

In the flashbacks from this episode, that image - of Chihiro and Masami walking together with manuscript folder and wrapped books, in front of the landmark building of Waseda - is followed by the image in the screenshot posted below, an image from their more recent past. Possibly Midori depicted as the headless image of motherhood. Not for the first time in the series this woman is visually decapitated by the animators.

https://i.imgur.com/TlScTYi.png
Yuto and a headless woman at his school entrance ceremony in another flashback from this episode (at approx. 15:50min).

The two men pictured in the first image seem to resent her. If they have any fond memories of her they sure don't show up in their visualised thoughts. We have no idea what kind of stories she wrote when she was with them in the same circle at Waseda. Personally I find that curious.
Ryutai

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:11 am Reply with quote
pip25 wrote:

If Haruka really wants to help Akira, she would do well to ban the track topic for at least a day, and talk about something else. Anything, really, even the weather if all else fails. If there's something to learn about Akira's and Kondo's relationship, it's that even very different people may find that they have things in common, things to talk about - if an effort is made.

Yeah, I agree with you. Haruka should avoid the track topic with Akira, to get close to her slowly again, and LATER try to touch that problem. The reason why Akira found her comfort zone around Kondo, is because with him she could avoid that topic. But we saw how violent her reaction has been also towards him, in this latest episode, when he implied she could have something better to do rather than to work so much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 26 of 31