• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation Picks Up Evangelion:1.0 Anime Film Remake

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:52 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:

I wish ADV had picked it up, but I didn't really expect them to. At least someone like Funi picked it up. I don't expect them to get the entire original cast, but hopefully they'll get the pilots and Misato.

I'm probably alone on this one and I guess it's some kind of sacrilege to say this but I kinda hope they don't. Actually, I really hope they don't.

That old ADV dub of Evangelion wasn't good, in my opinion. It's been around a long time, and it's the way a lot of people were first exposed to the show, but listening to it now, nearly everyone is way overacting and it sounds borderline amateurish. Line readings are off, the performances lack subtlety. It just doesn't fit the show.

I'm hoping Funimation finds some fresh talent to dub this movie and make it their own. This is a refresh of the series, so let's get some new talent in to really bring it to life.
Fabe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
DRWii wrote:

I wish ADV had picked it up, but I didn't really expect them to. At least someone like Funi picked it up. I don't expect them to get the entire original cast, but hopefully they'll get the pilots and Misato.

I'm probably alone on this one and I guess it's some kind of sacrilege to say this but I kinda hope they don't. Actually, I really hope they don't.

That old ADV dub of Evangelion wasn't good, in my opinion. It's been around a long time, and it's the way a lot of people were first exposed to the show, but listening to it now, nearly everyone is way overacting and it sounds borderline amateurish. Line readings are off, the performances lack subtlety. It just doesn't fit the show.

I'm hoping Funimation finds some fresh talent to dub this movie and make it their own. This is a refresh of the series, so let's get some new talent in to really bring it to life.
I 'm use to the original dub and am hoping for the old cast to come back but you do make a very good point,maybe a new dub cast would be better for the new moives.Either way I can't wait to see them.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:02 pm Reply with quote
wow, and they're not even done yet? i wonder what they could be hiding that's bigger than this.

edit: nevermind. didn't see Lance's earlier post.

Last edited by v1cious on Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I think it's important to remember that the original dub was made well over 10 years ago. ADV likely hadn't been doing their own dubbing for very long at the time. But as time has passed I think the actors have learned more about their skills and craft to deliver a new performance. At the bear minimum we may see Spencer and Grant return, as for the others, it's a craps shoot at this point.
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Maruna wrote:

We couldn't possibly be getting more, right? What could possibly out-hype Soul Eater and Evangelion?

She will never turn her back on her friends, she is always there to defend, she is the one of whom you can depend, she is the one named...

Haha you seriously think they would pick up Sailor Moon? Well I guess it would generate lots coverage but doesn't ADV still own the license to SM.

I guess not anymore from the info on this site:
ADV Films (Previous Licenser)
DiC Entertainment (Previous Licenser)
So it is very possible.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Maruna wrote:

We couldn't possibly be getting more, right? What could possibly out-hype Soul Eater and Evangelion?

She will never turn her back on her friends, she is always there to defend, she is the one of whom you can depend, she is the one named...

I sense 8 more licenses coming based on this:
http://www.funimation.com/?page=newshowagogo

But what more could Funimation license aside from Shikabane-Hime, Mushi-Uta, and El Cazador de la Bruja? Aside from Gonzo titles like Druaga 1 and 2, Blassreiter, and Strike Witches (which I highly doubt)

I'd die laughing if they picked up Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka and/or Dragonaut to end the year on that note.. Anime hyper

Then again...Funimation has already hit on the big items...where could they go from here without hurting themselves? *please no Macross...I can't bear May'n and Megumi's roles being ruined so soon*
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Primus wrote:
Maruna wrote:

But what more could Funimation license aside from Shikabane-Hime, Mushi-Uta, and El Cazador de la Bruja? Aside from Gonzo titles like Druaga 1 and 2, Blassreiter, and Strike Witches (which I highly doubt)

I'd die laughing if they picked up Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka and/or Dragonaut to end the year on that note.. Anime hyper

Then again...Funimation has already hit on the big items...where could they go from here without hurting themselves? *please no Macross...I can't bear May'n and Megumi's roles being ruined so soon*

Frankly Speaking Macross Frontier is a masterpiece in its own right.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Primus wrote:
Maruna wrote:

i wouldn't say 8, but i am hoping for at least one more.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty pumped up about this, and I wonder who they will get to replace Shinji....I can't think of someone off the top of my head though...if they are even looking at bringing the majority of the cast back.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

A couple of years ago I wouldn't have agreed with you at all, but I am gradually starting to appreciate that some of the original performances - especially in the more minor supporting roles - are shaky. A partial recasting is probably in order.

That said, there are three roles I regard as irreplaceable: Allison Keith as Misato, Tristan MacAvery as Gendo (sorry, John Swasey was an inadequate replacement in the Director's Cut eps), and Tiffany Grant as Asuka. Ms. Grant has occasionally worked for Funimation over the years, so her return seems highly likely, and while Ms. Keith doesn't work a whole lot, she does tend to reprise roles she's done in the past, so both of them seem likely. Although he's still active on the 'con scene, Mr. MacAvery apparently hasn't voice acted in years, so he may or may not be back.

If those three are solid, then I wouldn't mind a recasting elsewhere. While I liked Amanda Winn Lee as Rei, that performance could be done adequately by someone else. (She reportedly has expressed interest in reprising the role, though.) Spike Spencer has also reportedly expressed an interest in reprising Shinji, but I don't regard that as crucial, either. The NERV techs, Ritsuko, and other supporting roles could easily be replaced and I wouldn't care, as that's where I think the bulk of the problems are.

And Zac, it could also be pointed out that much of the original cast was early into their dubbing careers; most had only a handful of titles under their belts, if any, at that point. With considerably more experience under their belts, the performance could me much better this time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking Aaron Dismuke could play Shinji Ikari, but for the life of me, I can't think of anything he's done since he grew up.

For the love of God, please not Greg Ayres. He can't scream anything like Shinji or Spike.

That's the one thing I've always liked about Spike's Shinji, his screams were wild. That and the fact he's a nut. But, again, Spike's in LA now so chances of him coming back to Texas to dub this thing seem pretty slim.

Course, Tiffany's a shoe-in as Asuka. As for Allison Keith, it be nice for her to come back, but if not, I've always thought Luci Christian had a near similar voice.
Ktimene's Lover

The 3 main Eva pilots' dub voices would like to reprise their roles. Allison Keith is the only Misato there is in the dub. There was 3 voices for Kaworu and 2 of them have been out of site for a long time. Greg Ayres could do a good reprisal. Why Tristan couldn't be Gendo in the Director's Cut I don't know. The other characters like the technicians may or may not be good with new voices.
Greg Aubry

Zac wrote:

Actually, you're not. I posted as much here way back in October when Eva 2.0 was announced. Part of me actually wants to see (or rather, hear) Shinji voiced by a woman, as he is in the Japanese dub.

If I want to hear Spike Spencer, Amanda Winn, et al doing those roles, I can watch the TV series again.
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
Why Tristan couldn't be Gendo in the Director's Cut I don't know.

He had a falling out with the higher-ups at ADV, and either wasn't asked or refused to come back for those versions. Of all of the voices from the ADV version I'd retain, he'd be the first.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:38 pm Reply with quote
No love for Ritsuko, anyone?

That one, I would definitely change for the better. I'd love to hear Christine Auten take over that. Hell, I'd just love to hear Christine Auten in anything.

Last edited by prime_pm on Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10