• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cowboy Bebop BD Box to Include Novel, Ein Picture Drama

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
I suspect that Bandai will do a R1 LE collector's edition on BD when they feel the time is right.
Except Bandai Entertainment has basically shut down, and is not releasing anything new. There will not be another Cowboy Bebop release from them ever again.

Are we gonna start seeing FUNi pick up BandaiNamco property? That would be interesting, they're basically the only ones left who could do it. Unfortunately, I only see it happening to Cowboy Bebop over all the other titles, they'd never take Escaflowne along.
jsieczkar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:25 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
ShanaFan852 wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
I suspect that Bandai will do a R1 LE collector's edition on BD when they feel the time is right.
Except Bandai Entertainment has basically shut down, and is not releasing anything new. There will not be another Cowboy Bebop release from them ever again.

Are we gonna start seeing FUNi pick up BandaiNamco property? That would be interesting, they're basically the only ones left who could do it. Unfortunately, I only see it happening to Cowboy Bebop over all the other titles, they'd never take Escaflowne along.

Aquarion Evol is Funimations first Bandai title since Bandai Entertainment change in status.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:46 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

I know that. Except its still their license & their original property. It doesn't matter that Bandai USA is defunct, Bandai's investors can license & distribute it in R1, if and whenever they want to.

Bandai ain't letting go of Cowboy Bebop. It helped jumpstart Bandai USA.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Which means it will be stuck in Limbo, not being distrubuted on DVD or Blu-Ray because Bandai Ent isn't doing that anymore, but unable to be licensed and/or distrubuted for home release by others, either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:50 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Gundam Wing is still quite popular, among the circles that care about 15 year old mecha series not named "Evangelion"

Gundam Wing is not well-liked by hardcore mecha fans, and Evangelion is a great series but not in relation to the mecha genre.

Yes, which is why within the last few years MG kits of all the Wing suits have been released, and why Wing TV was put into SRWZ2, its first non-Endless Waltz appearance since SRW@1 back in 1999.

Also, Evangelion, not mecha? What?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Also, Evangelion, not mecha? What?

You could argue Evangelion is not a mecha series because spoiler[the Eva's are not really made of mechanical, artificial parts; they are living creatures. At least unit 01 is.].
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:04 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

You could argue Evangelion is not a mecha series because spoiler[the Eva's are not really made of mechanical, artificial parts; they are living creatures. At least unit 01 is.].

People take that argument seriously?

Its still a mecha series, the exact details of the mecha in question don't change that.

Besides, it passes the ultimate test for such things. "Has it appeared in SRW?"
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:37 pm Reply with quote
"Not in relation to it's mecha genre" means people like it not because of it's mecha elements, but for the other parts. It is a mecha show, but that's generally not the part people focus on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I think the reason why Cowboy Bebop is popular with fan in the west is that show has Hollywood film references which western fans can recognize. Characters themselves are western style characters instead of Japanese style. Probably that's why it's not popular among Asian fans.

Most importantly, the show was shown TV. TV reached out to all kinds of people, not just anime fans.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

I could say the same thing for RahXephon, Getter Robo (the later parts of the manga) and Shin Mazinger Zero.

And yet, they are still part of the mecha genre.

OT:
I'm more interested in the novel to be honest. Will it be an adaption of the show or a completely original story? Questions, questions.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:12 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
I think the reason why Cowboy Bebop is popular with fan in the west is that show has Hollywood film references which western fans can recognize. Characters themselves are western style characters instead of Japanese style. Probably that's why it's not popular among Asian fans.

Most importantly, the show was shown TV. TV reached out to all kinds of people, not just anime fans.

Can we please not continue this false impression that Cowboy Bebop was not popular in Japan? It was plenty popular. It just wasn't AS popular as over here.

You think they made a Cowboy Bebop movie because of its popularity here? Think again. It didn't even air on Adult Swim until after the movie already premiered in Japan. In fact, it aired the day after.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
oblivious247

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Tylerr wrote:
What a ridiculous amount of money to pay for a 26 episode anime.
Welcome to the world of Japanese anime prices...

Welcome to the world of Japanese media prices

The average Japanese Blu ray for a single movie goes for like 60-70 bucks.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:15 pm Reply with quote
oblivious247 wrote:
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Tylerr wrote:

Well, a single anime movie. That's not mainstream. Of course, a lot of the mainstream stuff is just in a box set; you can't buy single BDs of the Doraemon or Pokemon films as far as I can see.
oblivious247

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
oblivious247 wrote:
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Tylerr wrote:

Well, a single anime movie. That's not mainstream. Of course, a lot of the mainstream stuff is just in a box set; you can't buy single BDs of the Doraemon or Pokemon films as far as I can see.

I was referring to the mainstream stuff. Just scroll through Yesasia's list of Japanese blu rays. That's the average price of the NORMAL editions. Heck it's not just the dvds and blu rays either. CDs are mad expensive too. 35 bucks for an album? Crazy...
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I'd recommend you do your shopping at amazon.co.jp. Some titles are pretty expensive, but there are quite a few cheapies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6