• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Debuts on Funimation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, for some reason, when I try to watch, an annoying little menu of "Channels" opens up right over the little viewer and it's a pain in the ass to get rid of it. My suggestion is that Funimation put the viewer down lower so that doesn't occur. Other than that, I have no major complaints. Of course there was going to be quite a wait for it to load.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Altorrin wrote:
When that guy suddenly said “Fullmetal Alchemist. Fullmetal Alchemist!”, I giggled.
I didn't giggle, but I did have "Ai Mai Mii! Sutorouberii Eggu" flashbacks.

I'm pretty sure the kanji/kana song "subs" were in the broadcast raw to begin with, not added by Funimation. Otherwise, they wouldn't look exactly the same in the two fansub versions I checked out.

@Steel Angel: I imagine it would be 4 boxed sets, if it's a ~52 episode series.

Looking forward to watching more episodes from Funimation and not having to find 12 GB of space just to collect the SD version.
population_tire

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:45 pm Reply with quote
What's the point of FMAB? I thought it was going to redo the series to stick closer to the manga, but episode 1 wasn't even from the manga. Confused
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

@Steel Angel: I imagine it would be 4 boxed sets, if it's a ~52 episode series.

True enough.
Was just saying boxsets are easier all the way around, even if they are not the "complete series". Are also better both price wise (most often) as well as space wise.
Forlorn Hope

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Funi must hate me since when I go to the episode page and click on the big arrow, nothing happens. I click and I click, and I click and there's no change at all. I've waited 4 days to watch this legally Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
KingKaos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:09 pm Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:
What's the point of FMAB? I thought it was going to redo the series to stick closer to the manga, but episode 1 wasn't even from the manga. Confused

It was a prologue to the manga... it was well done in my opinion. You get a good introduction to the first manga, more of a back story... also this episode made tons of links with the manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
In the case of both titles, there are several things left unexplained for the first episode because the viewer is given the implicit promise that these things will begin to be addressed as early as the next episode. Yet FMA: Brotherhood escapes the wrath heaped upon Shin Mazinger Z.

The inconsistency bothers me. Why such a substantial discrepancy in opinion for two titles that are actually quite similar in approach for their first episodes?

Where's Fullmetal Alchemist on this list? And where's Mazinger? FMA can get away with it more easily because it has a massive fanbase, and Mazinger doesn't. Or, since the reviewers are familiar with FMA and not Mazinger, they don't notice the things that aren't quite explained in FMA, but find it glaringly obvious in Shin Mazinger Z.
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Steel Angel wrote:
Finally started loading this myself since its mid afternoon here for us. Thankfully its one of my days off, so i can enjoy the stream on the date of release.

At this time the buffering is horrible. I got half way through the episode, and it just stopped downloading from Funimation. Tried to redo the connection, and continue where i left off but it is impossible to do so. You can not click on an area of the video and have it load from that point forward.

I've only got 5 minutes of it after an hour of loading, and checking the other videos the situation isn't much better. The server is definitely flooded.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Watched an HD fansub first, since they come out earlier than the official subs. I'm watching both, though, I'm a big enough fan I don't mind. xD

Anyway, fantastic episode. Between the epic new soundtrack (especially near the end!) to the conflict in general, holy crap. Way, way better than the last series right from the get go.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
bayoab

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:59 pm Reply with quote
KingKaos wrote:
population_tire wrote:

It was a prologue to the manga... it was well done in my opinion. You get a good introduction to the first manga, more of a back story... also this episode made tons of links with the manga
It actually doesn't have a placement as it breaks continuity with the manga in multiple places. You have continuity issues if you put it before vol1 and you have them if you place it after vol 1.
Altorrin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Altorrin wrote:
When that guy suddenly said “Fullmetal Alchemist. Fullmetal Alchemist!”, I giggled.
I didn't giggle, but I did have "Ai Mai Mii! Sutorouberii Eggu" flashbacks.

I'm pretty sure the kanji/kana song "subs" were in the broadcast raw to begin with, not added by Funimation. Otherwise, they wouldn't look exactly the same in the two fansub versions I checked out.

I know the kana was there to begin with. I'm just saying that if I wanted to sing along, I'd look at the kana and that if I could choose between a translation for the song and romaji, I'd definitely go with romaji.

(What's the point of FMAB? I thought it was going to redo the series to stick closer to the manga, but episode 1 wasn't even from the manga. )

The point is, indeed, to stick closer to the manga. Episode 1 isn't from the manga because they knew that people who saw the first anime would get bored watching the Lior arc again, with minor changes (whoop dee do. This time he turns a flower into a bigger flower rather than wine into more wine. That doesn't warrant redoing the whole episode, contrary to what some fans believe). It's pretty clear they know that we, the old anime fans and the manga fans, are watching because they don't explain alchemy at all. Not even a little. That's why I think this show's gonna fall apart. They have to explain it by next episode. At least last time Rosé was there to stand in for the audience and ask our questions. Now it's just military guys and other alchemists who all know what they're doing and so don't need to explain it to each other.
Mikuru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Forlorn Hope wrote:
Funi must hate me since when I go to the episode page and click on the big arrow, nothing happens. I click and I click, and I click and there's no change at all. I've waited 4 days to watch this legally Laughing

Exact same thing happened to me also. Tried it with Firefox and Opera.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, glad I wasn't the only one stuck with a long loading time. Good to see Lance the [insert something different here] Funimation Guy commenting on getting the servers prepared-- can't wait for next week's episode.

As an introduction episode, coming from the perspective of a big fan of the first series who expected an introductory episode, I was pleasantly surprised. It was great not seeing everything begin with all the Liore schtick, but instead start off with an original self-contained story that not only provided some fanservice with a bunch of fan favorites (Hughes!), but also alluded to some major series elements like the *big plan* of the Homunculi. While I can't wait to see all the manga-exclusive big scenes and plot developments, I hope the makers will still inject some creativity and provide some spin on the portrayal of several scenes (i.e. not put too many scenes that look strictly like the manga panels' depiction and some added character interactions). If so, then there will still be freshness for the manga reader...I just got done with volume 12 of the manga, and it doesn't look like I'll be able to put the series down for a while in order to keep the new series "brand-new".

Also loved the opening and ending themes...better not watch/listen to them too much separately, or I'll get sick of them long before their last run (?) in episode 13. By the way, did everyone catch the english omake panels in the latter theme? It would be awesome if those will change from episode-to-episode.

Still, I definitely won't go as far to say that this is "way, way better from the last series right from the get go". Still a great start, but not even "as good" yet, IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jonindarkrai

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Im confused spoiler[didn't mass huges die in the last series how did he beoome alive again. and theve alrady meat to. Help someone help me understand this.]
saiyajedi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:14 pm Reply with quote
jonindarkrai wrote:
Im confused spoiler[didn't mass huges die in the last series how did he beoome alive again. and theve alrady meat to. Help someone help me understand this.]

*facepalm*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6