• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf, Viki License The Rose of Versailles Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:36 pm Reply with quote
One thing that I love aboout announcements like this, which it has in common with the announcement of the new Sailor Moon anime, is the overwhelming torrent enthusiasm. In what can be a wasteland of cynicism, complaining and petulant insistence on things being 'just so', something that just lets people be happy is an awfully nice relief.

Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
willag wrote:
HOLY MOTHER F***ING $#$%^@#$^!$#%@#$^@$#%@$#!!!!

I'm sorry, but can you please tell us how you really feel? I'm not sure I'm picking up your total enthusiasm here.
Wink

Yeah, I mean, she could have at least used colors.

JohnnySake wrote:
varmintx wrote:
Looks like Zac and Justin are going to have something to talk about on the next ANNcast.

Actually, it would be a good excuse for another interview with Shawne Kleckner. Hearing how he scored this license would make for interesting listening.

That could be an interesting interview. This seems like it might have been an extraordinary license, so I'm certainly curious if there's any interesting detail beyond the normal work needed to get a license to it. I'd like to know if this began as a cooperative effort between Nozomi and Viki, parallel efforts that happened to come together or a case of one drafting the other to help. It could be perfectly mundane, but that'd be no fun and not befit so legendary a title.

I'd thought that Riyoko Ikeda was too, as the cruel informality goes, crazy for this to happen, yet she seems to be playing along, at least cursorily. (Perhaps that holds only for the manga)

Quite the coup, Dark Lord Kleckner, quite the coup.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:48 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kimiko_0

Hmm. I've heard of this anime quite often, but not much about it actually. Is it good, or just over-hyped? It looks super old, and somehow that makes me fear it doesn't have a happy ending.

Also, RightStuf, would you please fix this?
YouTube wrote:
The uploader has not made this video available in your country.
Sorry about that.

Come on, people. This is 2012, the world no longer ends at your country's border.

Last edited by Kimiko_0 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
bravetailor

pangea001 wrote:
Between everything Discotek is putting out and now this, it's a helluva good time to be a fan of classic anime. And a bad time to be my bank account.

That tears it, I am getting a better job by next year. There are too many upcoming anime I want.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Emma, utena, and now the one anime I have wanted to own for years? Fantastic move rightstuf. I now declared you shojo supreme overlord. Get your hands on a sub release of cardcaptor samurai and you may have my soul
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I also love all this Osamu Dezaki anime here in North America. Golgo 13, Space Adventure Cobra...ROSE OF VERSAILLES.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
One thing that I love aboout announcements like this, which is has in common with the announcement of the new Sailor Moon anime, is the overwhelming torrent enthusiasm. In what can be a wasteland of cynicism, complaining and petulant insistence on things being 'just so', something that just lets people be happy is an awfully nice relief.

AMEN. Times like this are when I love reading the forums the most.

littlegreenwolf wrote:
Emma, utena...

Hahaha, when you first had posted "hyena" instead of "Utena," I was wondering what you were talking about.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote
I am helpless in the face of the driving tide of enthusiasm for this title. Despite knowing virtually nothing about it, I plan to own (and then eventually watch) the crap out of it.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Question.

I know odds are that we're not getting an English dub for this show, considering both it's age and the fact that Nozomi has largely stopped dubbing their new releases.

However, the show has been dubbed in several languages already, including French, Spanish, and even Arabic.

Is it at all possible for Nozomi to include one or some of these other language tracks on their release? In particular, the French dub, as it would go along well with the French setting the anime takes place in.

Just a thought.

littlegreenwolf wrote:
Get your hands on a sub release of cardcaptor samurai and you may have my soul

"Cardcaptor Samurai"? Now THAT'S a show I'd be interested in!! Razz
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:56 pm Reply with quote
OH MY GOD YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Well this is awesome! I guess I'll have to finally get around to reading the French omnibus edition of the manga I picked up a few years ago.
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Yes yes yes! *Dances around*

I've bought so few anime lately, but this is a must have. I'm sure the sets will be just as awesome as the Utena ones too. Very Happy
Brand

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Hmm. I've heard of this anime quite often, but not much about it actually. Is it good, or just over-hyped? It looks super old, and somehow that makes me fear it doesn't have a happy ending.

Well the show is from 1979 so it is old. As someone who has watched a lot of classic anime the animation is actually very good for the time period. Since it is a period piece the styling isn't so bad but it does look like 70s anime because it is.

Is the show over-hyped? I don't think so but really that is opinion you would have try it yourself to see if you feel that way. It is if anything a hugely important work that influenced a number of titles to this day.

The show takes place right before/during the French Revolution, it is going to have some implications in the ending.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:22 pm Reply with quote
brand wrote:
The show takes place right before/during the French Revolution, it is going to have some implications in the ending.

Exactly what I was going to say, though I would add that Marie Antoinette is one of the main characters (as well as other French royals) AND it goes up the French Revolution. So yeah, I can say without undue spoilers that some heads will literally roll.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm now convinced that the Dark Lord Kleckner has magical powers!

I never thought I would see this licensed. Shocked
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:29 pm Reply with quote
OH MY GOSH YESSSSS!!!!!

But wait...I thought that Riyoko Ikeda had no intention of releasing it internationally?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 11