• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds Shinkai's 5 Centimeters per Second DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:08 am Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
I wonder if this could lead to Time of Eve DVDs?

As much as 5 Centimetres Per Second is a beautiful and highly laudable film, this supposition of yours is perhaps of greater interest. (This is because I already own the ADV release, I must note.)

To generalise such optimism, it is intriguing to learn of the possibility of popular titles unavailable on R1 DVD being rescued by the company that streams them.

(A distributor in my country was preparing to release 5cms⁻¹ this month, but then delayed its release by a whole year due to licensing difficulties. One was under the false hope that'd the film would grace local shelves before R1 ones. It remains to be seen whether the same will happen regarding Summer Wars.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:20 am Reply with quote
Okay, I don't want to freak anybody out, but I'm starting to think I have supah powerful mental powers or something. A few days ago, while mulling over what to get from TRSI's Back to School sale, I decided I would get all of Shinkai's stuff. Voices of a Distant Star and The Place Promised in Our Early Days - no problem. 5 Centimeters Per Second? Big OOP problem. So I thought, "geez, wouldn't be great if some nice entity rescued this title so I could afford to buy it without selling my left kidney?"

And magic presto! Here it is. Bottom line? Don't eff with me, or you just might end up buried in a cornfield if you get my drift.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:25 am Reply with quote
Hey, Blood-, you wanna use those mental powers of yours to bring back Maison Ikkoku? I'd really appreciate it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Myaow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:00 am Reply with quote
Later this year, we'll be seeing users on Mania.com posting with signatures reading "Blood- please license Minami-ke, Sailor Moon and Combattler V!!!!!!"

And on good days he'll be kind enough to oblige.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:40 am Reply with quote
@TKoH and Myaow: I'd love to accommodate all requests, of course, but as Satan said to Father Damien when asked why he simply didn't break the bonds that were restraining Regan in bed if in fact he was the Devil: "That would be a vulgar display of power."
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:51 am Reply with quote
The Bang Zoom dub wasn't bad, but it just compared to ADV's. Compared to the. Houston dub, BZ's feels a bit flat. I also thought David Matranga fitted the lead better than Johnny Yong Bosch.

It's still good to see it getting released. I wasn't fortunate to get several copies for free from a Best Buy corporate event and still have two left, so I'm good. I am a little worried about the combination of CR production and Bandai distribution. CR is unproven in the market and Bandai can't hit a street date to save their life.

EDIT: Had a brain fart at the tail end of a 16 hour shift...lol

Last edited by dragonrider_cody on Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:49 am Reply with quote
.... Dreams do come true! *shot*

I'm getting this one, for sure. If they release a Blu-Ray version later, I'll get that one too. This is too good to pass up. It's a movie that's oh so close to my heart, that it'd be a shame to not get it.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Excellent. I hope Crunchyroll can handle doing a DVD release. Good to hear Bandai will be involved.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
The Bang Zoom dub wasn't bad, but it just compared to ADV's. Compared to the. Houston dub, BZ's feels a bit flat. I also thought Chris Patton fitted the lead better than Johnny Yong Bosch.

It's still good to see it getting released. I wasn't fortunate to get several copies for free from a Best Buy corporate event and still have two left, so I'm good. I am a little worried about the combination of CR production and Bandai distribution. CR is unproven in the market and Bandai can't hit a street date to save their life.

...how about hooking a brotha up? Razz
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:52 pm Reply with quote
glad i got hte ADV one. i hated the newer dub
Key

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
OH MY GOD NO!!!! Not another one! We are gonna get more low quality/Subtitled-only/Packs of fail! If the industry is failing then why in the hell is everyone trying to get a piece of it? Crunchyroll GO AWAY!!

You've been warned before about turning every thread you post in into a massive complaintfest about lack of dubbing, Mario1234567. (And if you don't remember being so warned, then I'm warning you now.)

Besides, as others have pointed out, THIS ONE IS GETTING A DUB!!! Sheesh, man, if you're such a dub fanatic then you should know already that the mention of the involvement of Bang Zoom! automatically means that. At least make sure that you're complaining about something that's an accurate concern.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:45 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
I also thought Chris Patton fitted the lead better than Johnny Yong Bosch.

I think you mean David Matranga, not Chris Patton.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:12 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
I also thought Chris Patton fitted the lead better than Johnny Yong Bosch.

I think you mean David Matranga, not Chris Patton.

Yeah, I realized it after posting, but my droid isn't great for making edits on here. I went back and corrected it. Sorry about that, my brain was fried.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Since Bandai is involved, expect a September or October 2011 release instead of 2010. Razz

Anyway, I will probably buy it though I already own the ADV release. A BD would be 10x better, but I am content either way. Oppo BDP-83 makes most DVDs look all good and lovely.

EDIT: I also would love to see an Eve no Jikan DVD/BD release. Pale Cocoon too. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:25 pm Reply with quote
You know, contrary to what I said earlier, depending on the price tag, I may get this. Even though I already have this, it's R4 and I have to play it through my computer to my TV, and that's not nearly as good as running it through my blu-ray player. So I may rebuy this just so I have an R1 copy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7