• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Kill Me Baby TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:26 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
I have high hopes that this will generate enough income for a second season, specially since unlike most anime, you can show it to anyone without getting blown to pieces for showing inapropiate material.

I bet they will sell several times the number of discs sold in Japan, the real question if it will generate as much income for the production company.

I am fairly certain that the sales of any R1 release will never generate enough revenue to finance an anime series. Even if a R1 release sold 20,000 copies, the production committee in Japan will only receive crumbs of that revenue.

@dragonrider_cody, @The Coffee God,

I was referring to the physical release of Tari Tari, not its license announcement.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:54 am Reply with quote
Well, the West seem to more appreciate gag comedy. Laughing
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:08 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
@dtm42: No one was complaining, though, they were just saying it seemed odd to dub but not release on Blu-Ray. I did mention I won't be picking it up if it's DVD only, but I wasn't complaining. (Mostly because it's not a series I'm really in love with.)

Why do you believe that all dubs should be on BD? That makes no sense. Sentai are dubbing it to appeal to a wider audience, but releasing it on BD would lessen the audience (many people still don't have BD players) while making the release more expensive (again, lessening the audience).

A dubbed DVD makes sense to me for a show like this. It must have made sense for Sentai too.

jymmy wrote:
Out of interest, do you have a high definition TV and Blu-Ray player?

I have two 32" HD T.V.s and two BD players. I know that the T.V.s are not massive, and I admit that one of my BD players is my PS3, but still.
Wakazhi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:30 am Reply with quote
I like to have to option for a blu-ray with most shows, but come on people (who are saying they won't buy it because it's not getting a blu-ray). This isn't exactly an eye-candy buffet sorta show (like Angel Beats) that really benefits from a blu-ray over dvd. Just say'n.

This show has a lot of potential for a really awesome "screw the script" kind of dub (not that I didn't I already like the original script).
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:37 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
I have high hopes that this will generate enough income for a second season, specially since unlike most anime, you can show it to anyone without getting blown to pieces for showing inapropiate material.

I bet they will sell several times the number of discs sold in Japan, the real question if it will generate as much income for the production company.

I am fairly certain that the sales of any R1 release will never generate enough revenue to finance an anime series. Even if a R1 release sold 20,000 copies, the production committee in Japan will only receive crumbs of that revenue.

@dragonrider_cody, @The Coffee God,

I was referring to the physical release of Tari Tari, not its license announcement.

Feel free to do some math.

Let's be generous and say that JApan gets 25% of the MSRP of each sale (50% of the wholesale price which is 50% of the MSRP).
Let's say it's priced like Funi, $50 for 12.5 episodes.
That works out to exactly $1 per sale per episode for Japan.
Your average anime episode costs ~$150,000 dollars to make these days, so that means you'd have to sell 150,000 copies to fund the anime just from sales overseas.
jymmy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:14 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Why do you believe that all dubs should be on BD?

I don't.
jymmy wrote:
they were just saying it seemed odd to dub but not release on Blu-Ray

I asked whether you could watch HD video because I've just looked at the show in 480p and 720p and high-definition looks noticeably superior. Thing is, the show already has pretty soft lines. You don't lose detail outside of the OP in SD, but it looks like the show's had a blur filter applied. Not that that's exclusive to Kill Me Baby.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:28 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Your average anime episode costs ~$150,000 dollars to make these days, so that means you'd have to sell 150,000 copies to fund the anime just from sales overseas.

Have you seen one episode of Kill me Baby? Exactly what part of it looks like "average (2012) anime"? O_o; If I remember correctly it only uses three voice actors (with little dialogue in many scenes). Even with the pauper disc sales in Japan months ago there was already talk of a second season.

I still believe this could be a (nowadays) rare case where sales in the USA create a second season in Japan.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:31 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
samuelp wrote:

Have you seen one episode of Kill me Baby? Exactly what part of it looks like "average (2012) anime"? O_o; If I remember correctly it only uses three voice actors (with little dialogue in many scenes). Even with the pauper disc sales in Japan months ago there was already talk of a second season.

I still believe this could be a (nowadays) rare case where sales in the USA create a second season in Japan.

Ah, I wasn't referring to this anime in particular, it's quite possible it had a much lower budget...

But even so the budget doesn't all go to animation, there's all the promotion and the TV airing etc... No way any full length animation costs less than $50K an episode, no matter WHAT quality. Which would mean 50,000 sales in the US to pay for it.
Lockgor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:34 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
jymmy wrote:
@dtm42: No one was complaining, though, they were just saying it seemed odd to dub but not release on Blu-Ray. I did mention I won't be picking it up if it's DVD only, but I wasn't complaining. (Mostly because it's not a series I'm really in love with.)

Why do you believe that all dubs should be on BD? That makes no sense. Sentai are dubbing it to appeal to a wider audience, but releasing it on BD would lessen the audience (many people still don't have BD players) while making the release more expensive (again, lessening the audience).

A dubbed DVD makes sense to me for a show like this. It must have made sense for Sentai too.

That assumes a bluray only release, which I don't think was suggested. I think what was mentioned was a bluray release on top of a DVD release, which would increase the market base, not lessen it. Though, I imagine a bluray only release would almost certainly have the result you forecasted for this show. The implicit argument may have been that if Sentai was already willing to spend money on a dub, why not jump on the bluray rights aswell. Of course, would sales increase enough to justify the expense? Sentai doesn't seem to think so, and I guess it makes sense why. I believe their revenue stream is still mostly based on DVD sales, and, as mentioned by others, its not exactly a show that screams "high-def." But visual clarity isn't the only reason people buy into bluray. I know I buy into it because the disks are remarkably scratch resistant, and, atleast theoretically, very long lasting relative to DVDs. A shallow reason to buy into the format perhaps, but its my money, and I'll waste it as I please.

In any case, this show certainly can't suffer from having a additional revenue stream by being on the catalog of a company with a North American distribution pool. They don't need to make all their money back with this venture alone, just enough to lessen the loss, or maybe even break even, when pooled with their local sales (I'm assuming they are still in the red for this show). And, at least from my limited understanding of licensing, its of little to no risk for them.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:38 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
No way any full length animation costs less than $50K an episode, no matter WHAT quality.

So it is settled, you did not saw any complete episode of Kill me baby Very Happy
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:44 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
samuelp wrote:
No way any full length animation costs less than $50K an episode, no matter WHAT quality.

So it is settled, you did not saw any complete episode of Kill me baby Very Happy

You do realize that Samuelp works with most of the Japanese animation producers and provides translation for a lot of shows? I think I will take his knowledge over your opinion.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:55 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
You do realize that Samuelp works with most of the Japanese animation producers and provides translation for a lot of shows? I think I will take his knowledge over your opinion.

If Kill Me Baby gets a second season I will remember to scrub all over your face said knowledge Very Happy
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:50 pm Reply with quote
If this show gets a second season it'll be on the strength of the manga sales.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:31 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
samuelp wrote:

The _animation_ budget could be $100 and the rest would pay for the marketing, TV airings, events, and tie-ins. I remember when Kill Me Baby aired and there were large advertisements in Akihabara... those aren't free, and neither was the radio show they did or any of the other standard promotional things.

It's also quite possible the "cheap" animation was done purposefully, and therefore wasn't actually as cheap in practice as you might think.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:52 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
I liked the show, I'd buy if there were a Blu-Ray release.
Because the tremendous amount of high-detail, high-motion scenes absolutely require Blu-Ray to be enjoyable, right?

Panzer Vor wrote:

Sentai Filmworks already has the license for the fourth and final season of The Familiar of Zero. The chances of them rescuing the license for the first and getting the licenses for the two remaining seasons should be high.
Yes, just like they got the license for that To-Love RU OVA that falls between their releases of the first season and Motto To Love-Ru. Oh wait.

Quote:
On the subject of Nanoha, I've always been under the impression that its commercial failure in the North American market was due to the fact that it was one of the last licenses acquired by Geneon before it ceased operations in North America.
Along with that, I would theorize that it was one of those shows that inspired a great deal of discussion and buzz from a certain vocal but anti-R1-industry segment of the viewer base... which adds up to a show that's less successful than other shows that might've had similar amounts of fansub downloads and online chatter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5