• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How do you desensitize yourself to rape in modern anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:06 am Reply with quote
[From the survey quoted by TitanXL]

"But responses varied depending on the terminology used. When asked about being "overpowered by a man," 52 percent said they'd had that fantasy, the situation most typically depicted in women's romance fiction. But when the term was "rape," only 32 percent said they'd had the fantasy."
Even then I suspect the the women responding had romanticized the idea of "rape."
I doubt that any woman would fantasize about being really raped any more than she would fantasize about being beaten senseless with a baseball bat. I think that it is more likely that these were fantasies about having sex without guilt, rather than being raped.
But I am not a woman, so maybe I just do not know what I am talking about.

I have not become desensitized to rape in anime because I was never sensitized to it. It is just a fictional event involving fictional characters. It would probably be different if I could identify with one of the characters, but I cannot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:06 pm Reply with quote
^
Just because characters are fictional in no way prevents a normal human from feeling sorry for them or caring for them. If you can't do these things to any characters at all, then you lack empathy.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
I doubt that any woman would fantasize about being really raped any more than she would fantasize about being beaten senseless with a baseball bat. I think that it is more likely that these were fantasies about having sex without guilt, rather than being raped.
But I am not a woman, so maybe I just do not know what I am talking about.

I'm not female, either, but I had a lot of the same thoughts as you. Did these surveys ask questions like,

"In your fantasy, did the attacker use a weapon?"
"Did he threaten your life?"
"Were you bound, drugged, drunk?"
"How many attackers were involved?"
"Where did the event take place?"
"Were there other observers?"
"Was the attacker someone you know personally?"
"Was he someone you have romantic feelings for?"
"Was he a close relative like your father or brother?"
"How old was the attacker?"

Somehow the notion that large fractions of college-aged women imagine being raped by an anonymous attacker holding a knife to their throats seems unlikely. There is a big difference between romanticized "bodice-ripping" and actual rape, an act of violence and power that happens to involve sex.

I certainly had fantasies about having sex with women I knew, and in some cases ones I had seen only in movies or on television, but the sex in all these fantasies was consensual. I'd be surprised if most men have fantasies about actually raping women either.

In answer to the original question, I don't watch shows that include rape or non-consensual sex. In fact I can't think of a show I've watched recently where the characters had sex at all.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't planning on touching this topic with a ten-foot pole but here I am anyway.

For rape fantasy, the emphasis really has to be on the fantasy aspect. I think in many ways these fantasies are a safe way to experience something that is not by any means safe. But if you take a look at the world of fandom (particularly fan fiction), it's blantantly obvious that these fantasies are 100% about non-consensual intercourse and not just about "sex without guilt".

Or, of course, there is the interesting world of "dub-con" which, IMO, is something that can only exist in the world of fiction/fantasy, and is perhaps a bit more akin to the idea of sex without guilt, though I still think that is a pretty inaccurate view.

As far as anime/manga goes, I personally have had to see more attempted rape scenes than I care to (and, sadly enough, a lot of them have been at the hands of my favourite mangaka, Yu Watase). It's a problematic aspect, to be sure, especially in the world of shojo romance. And because it isn't exactly rare, I feel like I have been desensitized to it a bit, at least in this medium because I know that it won't be treated with as much weight as it should be. But since it is fictional and coming from different culture that I do not fully understand, at least not to the extent that rape issues are involved, I pretty much just look past it.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:11 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
*sigh* I'll probably regret asking this but...at what point exactly in the Yugioh anime was Anzu raped? Bonus points if you can elaborate on how exactly she is a "rape magnet" within the show.

In the manga/Toei series, the original chapter/episode was Anzu is working at Burger World when a criminal comes in. He holds her hostage and Yugi plays a game with him to save her

Since Duel Monsters skips the early manga, they had to make a new reason to explain Anzu/Yugi's friendship. So in the anime while Anzu is working at Burger World, Yugi and Jounouchi come in and see her. Anzu freaks out because in Japan you're generally not allowed to work jobs while in school and if they tell on her she'll get expelled. She threatens them not to tell anyone and says she's raising money so she can travel to America and study dance.

Next day she finds a note in her shoe locker that says to meet her in the Gym Storage shed unless she wants her secret exposed, and included is a photo of her working at Burger World. She goes thinking Yugi and Jounouchi are messing with her but there there's a teacher with a video camera who tries to blackmail her into sex with him on the threat that if she doesn't he'll report her to the school and get her expelled. He then starts filming her ass, breasts, and legs and Anzu freaks out and tries to run/attack him but he punches her and knocks her out . He then starts filming up her skirt and advancing on her but then Yugi arrives and plays a game with him to save her and they've been friends ever since.

There's more skivvy moments later like her duel with Otaki who makes lewd remarks about her body and how he can't wait to beat her to use her body and enjoy it for himself, slutshaming her by telling her the way she dresses is too provocatic and tempting, making her feel uncomfortable during the duel and throwing her concentration off at the thought of an old man like him having his way with her.

There's also an early manga chapter/Toei episode there's some kid at school named Kokurano who pretends to be a psychic but is a fraud and he tries to have his way with her after he chloroforms her before Yugi saves her,
Annf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

yuna49 wrote:
Somehow the notion that large fractions of college-aged women imagine being raped by an anonymous attacker holding a knife to their throats seems unlikely. There is a big difference between romanticized "bodice-ripping" and actual rape, an act of violence and power that happens to involve sex.

Fictional fantasies don't have to have any relation to something you have any desire to experience in real life. You don't have to come up with some explanation for what it "really" means. It's just a hypothetical fiction that happens to tickle someone's brain in an interesting way. And you only have to pay attention to the parts of the fantasy you find interesting while simply ignoring the inconvenient parts.

I personally have sexual fantasies that involve me being killed in various bizarre and often gruesome ways, generally not even involving another human being. A baseball bat would be pretty mild in comparison.
The human brain is an interesting thing.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Annf wrote:
Fictional fantasies don't have to have any relation to something you have any desire to experience in real life. You don't have to come up with some explanation for what it "really" means. It's just a hypothetical fiction that happens to tickle someone's brain in an interesting way. And you only have to pay attention to the parts of the fantasy you find interesting while simply ignoring the inconvenient parts.

I personally have sexual fantasies that involve me being killed in various bizarre and often gruesome ways, generally not even involving another human being. A baseball bat would be pretty mild in comparison.
The human brain is an interesting thing.

This confirms that attempting to understand how women think is a foolish endeavor.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Humans in general have a fixation on the taboo, on things that they're not supposed to do, on things that are 'wrong.' The more you tell them not to do something, the more they'll want to do it. It adds a sense of danger and excitement.

Of course we live in a society of rules and harsh punishments for not following those rules. That's why those urges are put into fantasy and works of fiction.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
The only anime I saw that have rape scenes are Hellsing Ultimate and Ninja Scroll (I think, been a while since I saw). Those are the only ones that come to mind. Hentai does not count
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4