• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Dark Sols: Prepare to Crowdfund Edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:14 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Has NISA had any significant problems since Toradora? I'm under the impression they've been of solid quality.

They released House of Five Leaves in mono by accident, but they acknowledged it and sent out replacements. Their customer service and strong titles is why NISA is my favorite company, along with Nozomi.

The KotS audio is irritating beyond belief because they will not replace it, ad are just all, oops, sowwy, hope you still like the show!
Dfens

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:57 am Reply with quote
NIS America had one major problem I don't know if they ever fixed it at the time I only had one of their titles Working/Wagnaria.

If the scene had more than one row of subtitles then the next row of text would be cut in half. So the word good would look like "oood" but worse it was like they drew a line and cut them half and taking the lower portion. But this problem only existed if you had a CRT television it doesn't happen with a flat screen TV.

I now have a LED so I don't have this problem with the few series from them I own. But when I called them about it they didn't give a dam, said it's the company that pressed the disc or some BS not their problem but will let that company know.

If anime DVD's in my collection from 2000 and onward didn't have this problem with the subtitles then why can't they get it right.

I'll still buy their titles but pissed me off that they wouldn't let customers know watch our shows on a flat screen or tough luck. Like that would have looked good on the sales ad.
Quark

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:35 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed Eva 3.33, especially now that they're finalizing plans for Instrumentality. The time-jump was really cool, I loved the new designs for Misato and Ritsuko. Hell, even spoiler[Misato/Ritsuko/Asuka not explaining things to Shinji made sense to me. Considering that his actions triggered 3rd Impact, and a lot of people died (I'm assuming that's where Kaji went) it's understandable that they've been stewing for those 14 years that he was gone. Sometimes people will harbor anger and resentment towards someone even if they know that it's irrational. Someone triggering an event that killed a lot of people - I'd be pretty pissed at him too, even if he didn't know what he was doing. Someone pointed out too that when they found Shinji, on his foot it says 'S. Ikari???' meaning that there's a possibility that they're not entirely sure that it's actually Shinji. Would it really be wise to give information to someone that they're not sure they can trust? If Shinji had stuck around, they most likely would have softened up a bit - even Misato in a state of anger was unable to take the chance to kill him, even though it was something that she felt she had to do.
The main reason why I loved the movie though is that it's giving more support to the theory that the Rebuild movies are actual sequels. The two Lance of Longiness in Lillith, the decapitated Lillith head that Gendo was looking at, the red floating souls - EoE anyone?]

I think people are a bit hasty in panning 3.33 considering that there's one more movie to go. Considering that the original plan was to release the third and fourth movies together, the fourth movie might shed some light on things that happened in 3.33.
My only real complaints is that I would have liked more Misato and Asuka, and was interested in seeing more of the new characters (Mari included). Oh, and how Shinji was able to magically play piano in mere minutes, and then has the gall to ask how he can get better. Wha?

Last edited by Quark on Sat May 04, 2013 2:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Dfens

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:50 am Reply with quote
I got the same vibe that maybe just maybe Rebuild is a sequel the TV series at the end of 2.22 when Kaworu says This time Shinji you'll be happy or something along those lines. The very first time I saw that movie when it premiered that popped into my head.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:01 am Reply with quote
Rebuild 3.33 is kind of a mess. So much happens, yet so little of it matters. The pacing is totally off. They cram in a bunch of events in one scene and then for the next ten nothing at all happens, followed by everything else happening in rapid succession immediately aftewards. The time skip really seems entirely unnecessary. The new characters are just there to be there, none of them matter whatsoever. No explanation is given for why Wille split from Nerv or how they can afford their set up. Some of characters act uncharacteristically brusque, even for them, for no particular reason whatsoever other than heaping more pressure onto the main protagonist, making many of them completely unlikable on nearly every level. The characters that don't act like that are just there as NPCs, just human-shaped things with stock phrases and information. The aesthetics are so stylized that it is often impossible to discern what objects are what, where one object begins and the other ends, or what you're looking at at all, and it's largely just to be abstract. The only character who gets the slightest development is Shinji, and it's all negative. Most characters shouldn't even be in the movie, most particularly Mari, who, two movies in, is still a complete question mark and might have four lines altogether in a 90 minute movie. Even most of the action is too abstract to make out most of the time and it makes it kind of boring. And if they return to the "Ode to Joy" well again I am going to quit Eva fandom forever. Stop it, already, there are other classical pieces, ease up on that one piece. Which brings me to the next thing, the music, which is actually barely even noticable outside of what I mentioned.

The worst thing is that Shinji is kept in the dark by people who have no reason whatsoever to do so. They are blindingly cruel to him for something he had no control over, and while that's usual for his father, his father is actually not even as big a prick as the other characters!

And there's no payoff. None. Zero. And you could have done the entire plot of this movie in less than an hour. In fact, they already did that in the TV series. With no budget. And better.

In short, my response to the events of the movie are much like Shinji's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5JkWBcTNJM

Perhaps, though, that was the point. I'll have to rewatch it. It's a gorgeous movie, but the needless abstraction is annoying, even for Evangelion.

As far as the crowdfunding, it's pretty shameful there's so much online panhandling these days. A hand with a styrofoam cup might as well come out of your computer screen. But at least we might get some classic anime out here from it. I wonder if we could get Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Last edited by penguintruth on Sat May 04, 2013 2:40 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Blackwolf0925

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:21 am Reply with quote
Now I am worried about my preorder of Mysterious Girlfriend X. My only gripes I have with some of these companies are the mistime subtitles/half a second subtitles. I probably won't be able to tell myself what really wrong with the blurays. I have enjoyed Sentai works before, So I hope any future products don't come out to bad.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:52 am Reply with quote
This is AWESOME. I really hope this takes off. I am a fan of old anime at my core so... wow. This is great. I will be pledging the hell out of Creamy Mami. Also a suggestion:

AKAZUKIN CHACHA!
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:53 am Reply with quote
Blackwolf0925 wrote:
Now I am worried about my preorder of Mysterious Girlfriend X. My only gripes I have with some of these companies are the mistime subtitles/half a second subtitles. I probably won't be able to tell myself what really wrong with the blurays. I have enjoyed Sentai works before, So I hope any future products don't come out to bad.

Me too! Here's hoping they don't screw it up. We love you, Sentai. Come on. I'm giving you all my money lately. Sad
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:10 am Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
For Creamy Mami, if it's possible to answer, does the Box Sets include the OVAs or just the TV series?

We'll include the OVAs on the DVD sets (probably not set 1 though).

Covnam wrote:
In regards to the concern over shows dropping off, I'm curious if there's any roll over of funds from one 'kickstarter' for another. If it's $15-25k and all 1,000 volumes sell for $40 each (or more for higher levels) that's over $40k. If the next volume is short of the goal, will some of those funds be applied to help the next volume or does each volume stand on it's own?

Yes, that's correct: The goals for the later sets will be lower than the goal for the initial set because of this and lower upfront production costs.

About the pledging system:
It's entirely our own webpage, built from scratch. It's very similar to Kickstarter but there are some significant differences:
1. You can't pledge arbitrary amounts of money. We give you a menu of "Support Packages" with fixed prices to pledge to purchase.
2. You can pledge for multiple support packages or multiple copies of each Support Package for a single set if you'd like.
3. People are charged when the goal is reached, not when the deadline is passed. If the goal still has time left but has already reached the threshold, it's in "Overtime" and you can still purchase the Support Packages and you will be charged immediately.

About other titles:
Shows from companies outside of our partnership are something we're hoping to be able to expand to. Many of the companies are interested in the project but need some hard data to convince them to take a risk, since it's a completely different business model than has ever been tried before.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:19 am Reply with quote
Thanks for all the great info, Sam. Sorry if this has already been answered but what are going to be the methods of payment?
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:25 am Reply with quote
Graceful Nanami wrote:
This is AWESOME. I really hope this takes off. I am a fan of old anime at my core so... wow. This is great. I will be pledging the hell out of Creamy Mami. Also a suggestion:

AKAZUKIN CHACHA!

Ditto on Mami pledge and the ChaCha request! Also requesting Hime-chan no Ribbon!
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The worst thing is that Shinji is kept in the dark by people who have no reason whatsoever to do so. They are blindingly cruel to him for something he had no control over, and while that's usual for his father, his father is actually not even as big a prick as the other characters!

The remnants of humanity being utterly pissed at Shinji is completely justifiable, he started 3rd impact for crying out loud!

spoiler[Also, they are suspicous over weather or not Shinji is really Shinji or yet another Eva Surprise that simply resembles shinji and could spontaniously start shooting lazers out of his eyeballs, wierder shit has happened in the movie series alone.

As for Gendo, the character shift from Seele's chief executor to main villain is pretty blatant, just because he isn't shown an asshole directly to Shinji or Wille doesn't excuse the nature that he manipulated Shinji's state of mind to become an unwitting pawn that starts 4th impact.]
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:50 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:

The remnants of humanity being utterly pissed at Shinji is completely justifiable, he started 3rd impact for crying out loud!

spoiler[Well first of all, it lasted all but a minute before Kaworu stopped it. Second, it's not clear who was actually killed during it, considering people who were right there seemed to have survived it, despite having no reason to.

Also worth noting is that Misato encouraged Shinji to do what he did. And that Shinji had no idea he was actually causing Third Impact.]

No, it's just a movie of nearly everyone emptying their bowels onto Shinji's face in a massive hate-dump.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:05 am Reply with quote
Graceful Nanami wrote:
Thanks for all the great info, Sam. Sorry if this has already been answered but what are going to be the methods of payment?

We accept all major credit cards.
So far we don't have paypal or other forms of electronic payment since it's difficult to verify info and then charge more than a few weeks later.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:21 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Graceful Nanami wrote:

We accept all major credit cards.
So far we don't have paypal or other forms of electronic payment since it's difficult to verify info and then charge more than a few weeks later.

Sweet. I was hoping you were doing credit cards because I'm not a huge fan of PayPal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10