• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
C – Control – The Money and Soul of Possibility (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7.

Instead of having the latter part, I'd rather see them focus on him for the whole episode (although it wasn't bad). There were a few points that could be addressed. For example, had he kept his band, he could possibly afford sending his sister to America.

Again, this thing could easily be 22 episodes like Shiki. I wonder if their Shiki sales are actually affecting their decision to keep going with shorter series.

I was wondering about that floating money clock or whatever. It's nearly at 8 trillion yen (something like $10b). Does that account for everyone's money or just the money that they deposit? It's hard to think that with only that much funds they plan on moving a whole 1st world country.

I must commend the director of this series though. Out of all my favorites from this season this is the only show I watch straight away. In other words, it's the most anticipated.
Mister V

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:04 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
I was wondering about that floating money clock or whatever. It's nearly at 8 trillion yen (something like $10b). Does that account for everyone's money or just the money that they deposit? It's hard to think that with only that much funds they plan on moving a whole 1st world country.

That's what I was wondering. After the crisis it seems like nothing, and if Mikuni can continue buying government debt, the turnover of his company/conglomerate/whatever must be way bigger than that. My opinion is that it might be the amount of Midas money in the real world, hence it's much more noticeable. The amount of cash circulating is actually quite small nowadays compared to the entire GNP, so it could be that.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I found links to the "Guide for Making Money in the Financial District." Personally, they answered some of my questions about how the FD works.

Rules of the Financial District

How to Make Money in the Financial District

Check 'em out. Discuss! Very Happy
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:54 pm Reply with quote
oops, reading these posts and forgot that Funimation is releasing these a week late, so I was quite confused with these recent comments. I'm fine with waiting though so I'm not going to download it early and these comment represent my views though ep.6

Ohoni wrote:
The way things work out is kinda messed up. I could see losing out on the context making the dealer sterile or something, but to spoiler[retroactively erase his living kids from reality, how messed up is that? When did they sign up for that? When did his wife?]

It also seems that the punishment fits the amount of money you have, so if you only lose a little money you would maybe lose a girlfriend or something, while if you lost millions of dollars worth you could lose your entire family, maybe everyone you knew.

A couple thoughts on these two lingering questions. The thing the professor said in 6 is interesting. He's not sure if his family life was "real"... were they constructs of some sort? So, when he lost them, did he really lose anything at all?

I'm thinking the effect your life changes for better or worse depends not only on how much you win or lose but by how much Midas money you actually use. These characters who effect the world with their wins and losses aren't merely people that had or lost money but those that also used their gain to great degrees. I'm thinking Kimimaro Yoga might actually be relatively safe even if he lost anything because he barely uses his money and mainly lives on the budget of his real world earnings. He was given a loan but he isn't using it, nothing is coming from it so I think less risk is accrued. He still works his crappy convenience store job, still eats instant noodles, still lives in his crappy studio. His professor on the other hand almost completely financed his family life with his FD winnings, and he lost everything that that money afforded.

But I'm wondering if suicide is a loophole. Consider Yoga's father, he apparently lost big time providing for his family but the son didn't disappear (has it been explained what happened to his mother?). Is it possible that if you forfeit your life than the other aspects of your future you gained can survive? It would certainly provide a path of forgiveness, he died so his son could live. It might also be why he was chosen to join, he is in part a product of the financial district and was already linked to it.

I think I may also be getting the "problem" with the Starling Guild and Mikuni's plan and it based in some real world issues you see every day. Mikuni is pumping money into saving Japan's markets, if need be he buys out failing companies... but in the meantime the classes get divided and the lower class actually gets poorer. It's like pumping money into banks so the markets don't crash- it does in fact does save the big interests but the smallest interests get squished. Of course, the other problem might be that he is "too big to fail." If the fruits of your labor are destroyed when you go bankrupt, what happens if Mikuni deos? He has shaped the entire country's economy wouldn't the entire country collapse if he did?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:20 pm Reply with quote
@Spastic Minnow: I agree: Peeps, if you watch an episode a week earlier than Funimation streams it, please use spoiler tags when you comment on that episode until Funi releases it. Thank you!

I was also thinking that suicide might be a way to avoid the consequences of bankruptcy, but Kimimaro said his mother died, too (from natural causes, I assume) and that's why he was raised by his aunt.

So maybe Yoga Sr.'s suicide protected Kimimaro, but not his wife? It's possible that his use of Midas money or the impact of his bankruptcy (whichever causes the reality shift) was so bad that he could not save them both simply by committing suicide.

Kimimaro has been using Midas money. He bought that big lunch that his classmate commented on. But since he doesn't have a lot of money to begin with, he can't use even his Midas earnings on a big scale.

Even though, the supposed consequences of his one loss were strange and disconnected- his aunt got appendicitis, he failed a class, and his love interest is moving away. Which one of those events is connected to his loss/spending of Midas money, and how?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:49 pm Reply with quote
I was actually more upset with myself for forgetting that I was a week behind than that others were talking about the current episode. Still it is something for fansub watchers to keep in mind.

Agent355 wrote:

Even though, the supposed consequences of his one loss were strange and disconnected- his aunt got appendicitis, he failed a class, and his love interest is moving away. Which one of those events is connected to his loss/spending of Midas money, and how?

Or were they at all? Hanabi leaving and his aunt's appendicitis could be coincidences, and the class, which he is isn't taking very seriously right now, is taught by a guy who may just hold a grudge against him, even if he acts all nice on the outside.

I meant to mention the extra large lunch... I concede that one and maybe he is buying name-brand ramen now, but he's not exactly painting the town red. He didn't even go out on that group outing. I figure he'll lose something but it won't be on the level of disappearing people.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mister V

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Fasten your seatbelts and hold on tight, because shit's going down, and fast.
Pretty intense episode, and sets up the conclusion. I don't even want to speculate much, because it's a terribly thrilling cliffhanger, I just want to see the next episode already.
The one thing that I'm not liking is the way they're (probably) going to treat the Mikuni vs. Yoga debate. Basically it's "we've got to save the present because there's no future without it" versus "we can't save the future with this rotten Midas money, so using the future as collateral".
Also I believe that they should've used the main theme of this episode better (confidence, as in trust - because money is trust and little more). Yes, there's that conversation with the information broker, but that doesn't seem to influence Yoga much.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Man, I wish C's staff were working on Deadman Wonderland. They know how to do the job properly. C looked like the kind of show that'd only go downhill, while Deadman Wonderland looked like the opposite, but guess what?

Anyway, this episode was a delightful surprise. It's moving fast, but at a pace we can keep up with.
I'm really curious about what kind of ending we'll have. Right now I'm betting on the shonen like, but I wouldn't be surprised to see something a little heavier.

Two interesting points this episode:

spoiler[The Financial District's higher-ups.
And, the protagonist's [you know what]'s relationship to his asset.]
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:29 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Mashyu would seem to be either spoiler[his "stolen" sister, or perhaps his future daughter, either case would make their relationship a bit creepy.]
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I finally saw episode 7. Did anyone else try to diagnose Mikuni's sister Takako?

The diagnosis that seemed to fit most of her symptoms best, IMHO, is Cystic Fibrosis Cystic Fibrosis in Japan.

It's rare, but not unheard of, in Japan. Many "standard" treatments are hard to come by because Japan has not yet approved of them. The average lifespan of an individual with Cystic Fibrosis in Japan is 15, and patients require frequent hospitalizations. Cystic Fibrosis patients often try to get to America for better treatment, especially lung transplants, which are very, very rare in Japan.

Most of that description fit Mikuni's sister--except the long term coma (which she is presumably still in). I haven't heard of Cystic Fibrosis patients surviving many years in a comatose state...but then again, this is an anime in which kids can be struck out of existence completely by a Midas Bank bankruptcy, so I'm probably over thinking it. Wink um, yeah, WAY overthinking it. But it's a good theory!

But yeah, Mikuni's younger sister is still alive, his mother is MIA, and I think he mentioned in an earlier episode that his father is dead.

Back to Kimimaro Yoga, the kid continues to wonder what his asset represents.

@Ohoni I love the idea of Mashu being a sibling Kimimaro "lost" due to his father's bankruptcy. In that case, then, if have other's have speculated that Mikuni's asset Q is a representation of his comatose sister, then they do have something *very big* in common.

Mashyu is very humanesque and childlike in both appearance and behavior. Neither she nor Kimimaro can quite explain why their relationship differs from that of other Entres and Assets. He cares for her as if she were a close friend or relative, and her curiosity resembles that of a young child's towards an elder brother or father. We know that Yoga Sr. "lost" in the financial district and that had ramifications on the "real world."

I'd speculate that Mikuni Sr. Was also involved in the Financial District, and that is another thing they will realize that they will have in common.

I'd like to think that the Assets in general can be personifications of all sorts of things--relatives (future or pre-existing), an individual's potential earning ability or overall "mark" on the world, an individual's current financial or psychological state, etc. But the relationships between Mikuni and Q and Kimimaro and Mashyu seem to go beyond "ideas" or "potential".

Note: this show is awesome, and I want to see an ending that's deep and philosophical, or even bittersweet and melodramatic, rather than a standard shonenesque fight to the finish in which the "good guy" wins. Is there really a "good guy" when things are so complicated?
Mister V

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:15 am Reply with quote
Well, it's only getting worse. What happened was more or less predictable, but very dramatic nevertheless.
It's a no-win situation, and Mikuni's definitely the tragic hero spoiler[who tries to sacrifice only himself to save everything, but doesn't realise that the FD's fiendish influence steals the future from lots of people besides himself.]
What's interesting is: spoiler[a) the fact that the IMF are so far unconditional good guys, and their blonde agent is planning something; and b) the "illegal methods" she mentions - what are they?..]
I'm really hooked, don't remember the last time I was waiting so impatiently for the next episode of a series.
underlock

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Did you guys notice this episode [9] that spoiler[Mikuni sounded like he wasn't gonna fulfil his part when that Financial District guy asked him.] But yeah, this has gotten really really entertaining. Definitely well beyond my expectations.

Also that thing spoiler[printing the money.] Could it be somehow related to Cthulhu? I wonder.

It also got me thinking: "if aliens tried to take over the world, this would've been the perfect plan". Think about it, spoiler[they're pretty much buying humanity with humanity's money.]
Mister V

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, or like a certain recent anime where the mascot turned out to be an agent of beings that harvest entropy energy. That would also be appropriate.

Whether Mikuni's doing the right thing or not seems to be a hot topic of debate, generally, and I'm trying to make sense of it for myself, too.
On the one hand, spoiler[he's definitely trying his best to at least save something; he cannot be blamed for acting stupidly - conservatively, maybe, but I don't see any alternatives to his actions, either (which makes the "illegal methods" all the more interesting).] On the other hand, however, spoiler[he is playing by the rules of the FD, and thus is getting into more trouble, and sacrificing more people's futures that are being converted into Midas money.]
Also, it all seems so far a dramatised representation of the modern financial system, where it seems not to work for everyone in the long term, so I'm mostly curious as to what their answer will be.

On the spoiler[Cthulhu thing: someone pointed out perspicaciously that Goldman Sachs was called the "vampire squid" in one very well publicised article at the beginning of the decade, so it might be a reference to that. I think I'll go mad if they actually decide to bring in Lovecraft Razz ]
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:33 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Man, I wish C's staff were working on Deadman Wonderland. They know how to do the job properly. C looked like the kind of show that'd only go downhill, while Deadman Wonderland looked like the opposite, but guess what?

An interesting assessment but I can't completely agree with you. Even at it's current state, I still prefer Deadman Wonderland to C quite easily, because Deadman has characters that feel multi-faceted and whom I actually care about (mainly Ganta who is leagues beyond Yoga when it comes to being an interesting main character).

Also, Deadman's biggest problem now seems to be them trying to rush through material from the manga and having it not work. C's problem (and I will say I've only seen up to episode 7 at this point) is that it just has so much going on that it can seem to get a good handle on anything, IMO.

Big proof of this is the fact that it took the info Agent355 posted earlier to help me understand the battle system. In a series so full of exposition dumps, why wasn't that information already in the show?

Also, I find Yoga incredibly boring and also don't really care about whether his "real" life gets messed up because none of it has been established enough for their to be a connection. There have definitely been times when I wish he wasn't the main character, because the supporting characters we've seen are much more interesting to watch.

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the show but I think it is far from living up to the potential that the ideas it has contain and I doubt I'll ever consider it a great anime, which is something that I think still might happen with Deadman Wonderland, if it can get its bearings again and get back on track.
Mister V

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Right, so... now Mikuni's actions are even less justified, but it looks like he just doesn't know any other way.

It seems they're screwing with their battle-system again. spoiler[I don't recall hearing that you could choose your opponents - deals were conducted in a random way, weren't they? I might be mistaken though. Either way, as many people have guessed, it's all about devaluing currency and getting rid of Midas Money. The realisation, however... is okay. There was a lot of sparkles and fire in battles, but that's about it. The death of the IMF agent could've had much more impact, she did not really get a lot of character development and screen time.]

The last couple minutes are by far the best, though. I must say, I like Masakaki. A villain (as far as we know) well done, the real star of the show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6