• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Hunting - NO Recommendation threads allowed! [READ THE 1st POST]

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takai

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:56 am Reply with quote
I like to watch/read NON-MOE anime/manga. I like things such as Shigurui, GitS, Trigun, and the like. I like mecha and am currently about to finish FMP! and it was okay but the stereotypical high school students being masters at everything is really annoying along with the subpar romance story. I don't like much romance at all and would like it if you can recommend something without the cheesy romance.
Koterrr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:00 am Reply with quote
Is there a website somewhere or a thread here etc. that connects anime series based on something other than genre? I.e. character types, for example.

Cause... You've watched another end of a great show and get devastated by the feeling that it's over and to get stop missing the characters, you try to read the manga/novel it's based on, watch other works of the same director, seyuus, just to soothe the pain. You're probably familiar with this feeling (oh btw, is it discussed somewhere here?). For example, when I was getting my withdrawal from ToraDora, I desperately searched for a character similar to Taiga, a loli tsundere, and you can probably guess which two titles I've found.
It would've been great if someone suggested something to me who watched more than I have.

Oh yeah, and the worst way to watch "something of the sort" is to search by same genre tags. Romance, drama? Heck, I can't think of a story that doesn't have that to some extent.
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I know it's been awhile, but i'll throw you a bone Koterr.

Many times, although not always, seiyuus play the same kind of character in other shows. In this particular instance Rie Kugimiya is playing Taiga in Toradora. If you do some research you'll find out that Rie Kugimiya is often times pidgeon holed into doing a tsundere character (usually a loli). Using ANN's encyc you can check out Rie's other shows. Some other ones that have include loli tsunderes include Hayate the Combat Butler, Shakugan no Shana, and Familiar of Zero. I think the closest one to Taiga would be Louise from Familiar of Zero.
ChaosLegion

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask so if it's not i apologise in advance.
My question is: Is there a site or a thread here(or in some other forum you know) where all the animes that are to be aired next year are listed? I think there should be,cause i found one for 2010 a few mounths ago,but it was just randomly posted in my homeland's version of youtube and i couldn't get any info about it's origins.
mayo160

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:46 am Reply with quote
Laughing Shocked Laughing
mr azathrael , i gotta bloody thank you from the bottom of my heart, sir, for the anime-planet link. just the answer for my TTGL-withdrawal symptoms....... in fact, i think i'll be spending a lot more time on that site, at the expense of this one Embarassed
vonmunster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:07 pm Reply with quote
i know theres a lot of people that don't like large, often too huge breasts in anime these days... but im a guy (older) that doesnt want to watch anime with cute little girls and so forth... feels kinda pervy...

can anyone tell me what anime shows (gimmie a list) that contains women with large breasts? i already watch High School Of The Dead and Dragonauts.... are there any others? and if liking action, adventure, gratuitous pantsu and boobs, makes me wrong.. i don't wanna be right...

come on guys! hit me with the list!
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Vonmunster- I'd suggest checking http://www.rightstuf.com and browsing about, but it sounds like Witchblade might be up your alley, and Sekirei (haven't seen it, but it's sold well for Funi), also from http://www.funimation.com is another sexy ladies/action mixup, as is their streaming title Freezing. ADV's Cutie Honey OVA might also be something you might want to check out.

ChaosLegion wrote:
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask so if it's not i apologise in advance.
My question is: Is there a site or a thread here(or in some other forum you know) where all the animes that are to be aired next year are listed? I think there should be,cause i found one for 2010 a few mounths ago,but it was just randomly posted in my homeland's version of youtube and i couldn't get any info about it's origins.

I noticed your question is kind of old, but just in case you're still around, and since this is a sticky thead, animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime/upcoming/tv ANN's encyclopedia has this feature. Very handy, and includes movies and OVA's, which are sometimes not on other lists.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:51 pm Reply with quote
ReaKon--

Just a friendly F.Y.I.: Please read this posting and those that follow it. Also, if you go to the Encyclopedia's Ouran Host High School page you will find under the Themes heading (it's the 3rd heading) this link. All of the other entries in the Encyclopedia should also have such a link as well.

Hope this is useful.
ReaKon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Ah, apologies, I didn't read anything beforehand, assuming that this was the place for recommendations rather than starting loads of new threads etc.

Thanks for the tip nbahn

Have deleted the message...

Last edited by ReaKon on Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:28 am; edited 1 time in total
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:07 pm Reply with quote
ReaKon--
You're quite welcome! Cool
Rythmik

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:27 am Reply with quote
I recently finished Soul Eater, and I'm completely caught up with Gintama, Fairy Tail, and Blue Exorcist. I need something along these story types.

I'm looking for something that is funny, with a good story (preferably an adventure), has a strong positive main character, has really good art, and isn't extremely short.

What do I watch?
slaponte

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Dear Anime Fans..

I was directed here after posting a no-no thread about recommendations. While I totally agree with the power to moderate newsgroups, I think the approach is totally wrong.

I of course know about search engines, reading wikis and databases and reviews, etc. If I could solve my issue this way, I wouldn't post. But the issue been asked is not "what other anime are there in XXX genre". The question at hand is Ïn your experience, if I like Anim#1, what Anim#2 I might like". And as far as I know, no database or search engine provides that.

After reading this thread, it seems the position taken here by "the powers that be" is that all this "noise" bothers them. This is incredibly arrogant towards a newbie community. So basically, you don't want stupid questions, you don't want "silly" by your standard threads. Which means you have to be an anime expert to come post here?

Here is a more productive way : why don't you create a newbie forum and redirect all the noise there? That way you can ignore it at will. In other forums I participate in I, as more experienced in that particular subject matter, visit the newbie forums and answer questions as I can, to help new fans. I think is the responsibility of the "elders" to encourage new fans into the particular hobbies, not to tell them to shut up because they are just noise.

As earlier stated on this same thread, opinions are like @ss.... (I thought profanity was not permitted, but oh well), and here is mine. Again, I don't dispute your right to moderate. But I had expected moderators to take a friendly positive attitude, not what I have seen here.

Deeply disappointed.

Sergio
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:47 pm Reply with quote
slaponte wrote:
Dear Anime Fans..

I was directed here after posting a no-no thread about recommendations. While I totally agree with the power to moderate newsgroups, I think the approach is totally wrong.

I of course know about search engines, reading wikis and databases and reviews, etc. If I could solve my issue this way, I wouldn't post. But the issue been asked is not "what other anime are there in XXX genre". The question at hand is Ïn your experience, if I like Anim#1, what Anim#2 I might like". And as far as I know, no database or search engine provides that.

After reading this thread, it seems the position taken here by "the powers that be" is that all this "noise" bothers them. This is incredibly arrogant towards a newbie community. So basically, you don't want stupid questions, you don't want "silly" by your standard threads. Which means you have to be an anime expert to come post here?

Here is a more productive way : why don't you create a newbie forum and redirect all the noise there? That way you can ignore it at will. In other forums I participate in I, as more experienced in that particular subject matter, visit the newbie forums and answer questions as I can, to help new fans. I think is the responsibility of the "elders" to encourage new fans into the particular hobbies, not to tell them to shut up because they are just noise.

As earlier stated on this same thread, opinions are like @ss.... (I thought profanity was not permitted, but oh well), and here is mine. Again, I don't dispute your right to moderate. But I had expected moderators to take a friendly positive attitude, not what I have seen here.

Deeply disappointed.

Sergio

Sergio,

There is a very good reason for our "No Recommendation Thread" policy. Before this rule was instituted (and it's been years now), the "noise" (as you put it) from recommendation threads of that kind was overwhelming. A sizable percentage of new Anime forum threads on any given day were threads which asked for the same kinds of recommendations over and over again. The people posting those threads never bothered to check and see if there were similar recommendations made recently; we even had frequent cases where a thread asking for recommendations for anime similar to Title X was on the front forum page and yet people still started up new threads asking for recommendations similar to Title X.

Granted, that policy can make it difficult for newbies who have no interest in our forums beyond getting such a recommendation, which is what we created the Anime Hunting thread with links to officially-approved genre-based threads. Between that and the Genre Search option on our Search function (under the Encyclopedia tab), newcomers should be able to find something in the same genres as what they have seen before. It just requires a little more effort than simply posting a thread to ask for a recommendation based on the fact that you like titles X, Y, and Z.

And, honestly, there are plenty of other anime forums out there which cater more to people just looking for recommendations. Our forum is - and always has been - more focused on discussing anime and anime-related topics, which is also why we're also strict on not allowing un-annotated listing and clamp down more tightly than most on frivolous posting, soapboxing, trolling, and provocative behavior; in fact, we have a reputation for having some of the most tightly-policed anime forums you'll find anywhere online, but also some of the fairest, too. (None of the Moderators are in any way involved with actually running the site, so we don't use Moderation to promote our own agendas - which, unfortunately, I have seen elsewhere.) It is the niche that we have established over time and those who are or become regulars here typically do so because they like that greater level of maturity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
larinon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:59 pm Reply with quote
slaponte wrote:

I think what you're looking for is a bit unrealistic, but like Key mentioned there are other sites you can go to and ask that question and maybe get some good replies (or else a list of Shonen Jump shows).

Still there are a couple forum & site features that might help. First, if you look at the first post in this thread, there is a list of recommendations by genre and a few other helpful links to other sites that might have similar features. And second, if you go to ANN's encyclopedia, you can do a search by entering in the genre(s) you like and other aspects that interest you. By clicking on the encyclopedia page for each title, there will be a graph indicating the opinions of ANN users about the show.

Also, if you are interested in what people are saying about certain shows, then we have a mostly complete list of forum threads on the shows that people have been posting about over the years on the forum.

Finally, if you take the time to create a list of anime titles you've watched and rate each one of them, then you can use the site to find other users with somewhat similar tastes and then look to see what they've liked that you haven't seen to get some more suggestions.

Or if none of that helps, AnimeNfo also has a search feature similar to ours but it might produce different results.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:24 pm Reply with quote
And a couple other related ways to find your own shows that aren't actually mentioned specifically in the initial three posts of the thread.
...Maybe these suggestions could be added into Tony's first post in the thread?

On each encyclopedia page there's a link that says
"find similar anime based on genres & themes" which will help if you want a similarly themed show and results are organized by rating.

and

if you create a My Anime page there's an option to "See other people's anime lists" which allows you to search "like-minded" members' lists. Which means that you'll be given lists of people who rated the same shows you did in a similar fashion and you can see what else they like.

With all the different ways this place lets you find you own recommendations I just don't think there's any valid reason to reverse the decision to ban recommendation threads.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 17