• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo 2006

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Apparently, Bizenghast sells pretty well. But for the love of God, I can't see why, and even let one of their employees know that - he laughed!

It's being sold in Hot Topic, that's why. My local store has a shelf devoted only to Tokyopop Global Manga, but I've yet to see any actual Japanese manga being sold there.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:33 pm Reply with quote
x_Shinta_x wrote:
Does anyone even read these American "manga" thingies Tokyopop pushes onto shelves?

A lot of libraries apparently adore the stuff. And I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few of them sell better than your average novel, just because of the targeted marketing. Plus, there are bona fide breakout hits in there, DramaCon, of course, but also a few others. Generally, whatever's done by an established comics creator, and not just some kid with a dream and not much else besides that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
omnistry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Nana Kitade coming to Boston: will be there.

Yakitake!! Japan: I like this show. I'm excited to see it being licensed.

Beat Crusaders probable US release: hooray!

Hellsing Ultimate: can this get any better?!

Paniponi Dash!: Yes, it can!
FireThunder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Still no word on The Slayers rereleases from FUNimation?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Ultra Cute is listed as a new Tokyopop aquisition, but it was announced over a year ago and the first two volumes (apparently; I only recall seeing the first one) are already out.

Is there some other manga with the same name that got licensed or was this just some sort of typo?
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:18 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Is there some other manga with the same name that got licensed or was this just some sort of typo?

Typo/confusion: I wasn't familiar with the title, and TP does a great job of lumping a bunch of their things together: some that many have been floating around for several months, and others that are just mentioned for the first time ever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
cyrax777

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:13 am Reply with quote
blueharlequin wrote:
PantsGoblin wrote:
Hey, did anyone else go to ANN's panel? I was in the very front left seat doing some recording, but... I really don't talk much at all, so I didn't say anything... except I asked Bamboo one question after the panel. She was surprised to see me I think. I would have said "hi" to other people but I'm too damn shy...

I went. I was the annoying girl who asked Carlo how he picked his import manga for RTO (I wonder if he takes suggestions) and I shouted to Zac that I love his cats! Razz

I was there to I was crossplaying a RO priestess
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:26 am Reply with quote
Damn you Cartoon Network. Eh Wait YTV already has a stream site airing Anime like Zatch Bell. Maybe us Canadian's will get other Anime Titles on our Stream.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Interesting that ANN is getting into the cosplay side of things. I guess it's gotten so popular they almost had too. I'll be interested to see what kind of take they have on this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
InuyashaMilk1717

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Clips from two World War II-themed anime licensed by Geneon were screened. The first was Barefoot Gen, the story of a boy who survives the atomic bombing of Hiroshima with his mother. Geneon will release both Barefoot Gen and Barefoot Gen 2 on a single disc. The panelists mentioned that the first Barefoot Gen movie was originally released by Streamline Pictures in the 1980’s, but they never released Barefoot Gen 2. The second WWII-themed anime introduced was Zipang, which tells the story of an Aegis destroyer that travels back in time to the Battle of Midway. The first volume will be released on September 5th.
Hellsing (OVA) is also World War II-themed. What's up with all these WW2 themed anime? Shocked
Nightfall

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Would someone be kind enough to tell me what Inu Baka is about...?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Nightfall wrote:

It's got cute dogs, and cute girls. Wink

More: http://www.manganews.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1301
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
ANN soon plans to redesign its site. Functions will be the same but the layout will be different in hopes of making ANN easier to navigate and use. A preview version is expected to be available within seven days or so and ANN hopes to have its “new look” up in about a month.

WOW! I haven't been on this site for very long but I am interested in seeing what's going to happen.

Does anyone know of a specific day, so that I won't be as startled as I was when the Naruto skin popped up?

Quote:
ANN also plans to start doing some merchandising. At the panel were prototypes of Answercat Jr. plushies. One attendee stole one of the plushies.

Well, they must be cute if someone stole one already, unless they are an Answerman otaku. Evil or Very Mad Does anyone have a picture of the prototype?
Nightfall

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
Nightfall wrote:

It's got cute dogs, and cute girls. Wink

More: http://www.manganews.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1301

Thank you very much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Turkishproverb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:07 am Reply with quote
I still wish Viz would pull a "Big O II" and agree to help finance the rest of the X manga.

Still, good news, for everything but my wallet. Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8