• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Simultaneously Offer Kodansha Manga in 170 Countries

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fire_

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Crunchyoll Manga is included free with a Crunchyroll All-Access

So if they offer the yearly Black Friday deal again that's $50 a year for anime, manga and drama. Even the normal price of $100 is still pretty cheap for all 3.

Before this I wasn't interested in paying extra for simulpub manga, but since I have a CR all access membership I'll check it out. The only problem left for me now is that scanlations come out before the official release date, but this may not be a issue with some of the lesser known titles.
Razzuel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I will be signing up for this, since this is an incredible deal. Some of their initial titles seem interesting and for only $5 a month, I'm willing to try them out and see how they are.

For the future, I REALLY hope they pick up Chihayafuru and Kaiji. This is probably the only chance for these to see an English release. Thankfully they are both published by Kodansha, so I am very hopeful.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Unfortunately I don't agree with that philosophy. I think $4.99 is a lot just to support a venture so maybe they will license a series I like.

Considering the $4.99 will give you access to the entire run of these series, I don't see a reason to hesitate. Sign up for a few months, work your way through the series that do interest you and if they haven't added more stuff you like by then, unsubscribe. If you use the service for three months and read through ten volumes, you're getting a great deal.
zensunni

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:03 pm Reply with quote
j Talbain wrote:
This was bound to happen eventually. I'm excited to see how this will end up. $4.99 for 12 different manga right now is kinda pricey. But give it a year and it will be well worth it. I wonder if it's going to have a shared Anime/Manga subscription?

In what way is $4.99 per month expensive? I did the math to refute this comment on another site.

These 12 manga are from 6 different magazines, though nearly half of them are from Shounen Weekly. If you wanted to read all of these series on a monthly basis, in Japanese, legally, you would need to pay nearly $42 per month. That is over $500 per year.

Say you only want to read the ones in Shounen Weekly? Well, that is around $2.62 per week, for 52 weeks that is over $135 for the year and over $10 for the month.

$60 per year is a lot less than either of those figures.

Plus, you only need to have the membership long enough to read the back catalogs for the manga you want to read. After you have caught up to the current chapter, you can drop the Premium membership and just read the new chapters during the week after they are released each week/month.

Of course, if you are comparing it to reading them on illegal scanilation sites, sure, it is pretty expensive. Any price costs more than theft.

Banjo wrote:
I don't see this working

Why? Free manga, available the day they are released in Japan on a site that has an existing membership that are fans of several of the titles on the list? It sounds like it is almost guaranteed to work.

I will certainly be reading things there. I'll get the membership for long enough to read the back catalog for a few of the titles. MGX is one. Sure I've read the whole thing, but I want to read professional translations of it. I will do the same with A Town Where You Live. The others include a couple that I have been thinking of starting to read and a few that sound really interesting.

BTW, 5 of the 12 are Monthly. Someone said 4 earlier, but they missed one As the Gods Will, which is in the same magazine as Attack on Titan.

partially wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:
Will we beable to download material to our mobile devices for offline reading?

This really is the crux of it, and why Crunchyroll's last attempt (JManga), failed so badly. Their online interface was horrible and slow. They kept promising desktop and iOS apps but never delivering. To have a chance of success Crunchyroll really have to do a good interface for reading. And get reading apps out quickly.

YES! The article on CR says that they will be available on IOS and Android devices.

EDIT: I don't know about off-line, but reading them on your mobile device will be available.
la_contessa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I think this is a great idea, which is kind of strange, because there is only one title I am really interested in reading (Fairy Tail, although there seem to be a few others I would consider), and I have zero interest in reading manga electronically. HOWEVER (are you listening, Crunchyroll?), if they added School Rumble to the back catalog, I would absolutely pay for a membership.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to do this solely for Space Brothers for now, but I hope they get any of the suggestions I gave to them! (Princess Jellyfish, Chihayafuru, Big Windup and Moyashimon are my biggies).
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:04 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
I dislike the "eternal rental" business model, so I'm really not into this.

JManga was the eternal rental business model. This is the buffet pricing business model, same as Crunchyroll anime, or cable TV. You pay for access to what's at the site, how much you read is up to you.

People who don't need to be current and are only following a few series could well pay one month in three. If that was one weekly series and one monthly series, its 60+ chapters for $20.

I'll have access to it anyway, since I'm on a CyberMonday $50 special annual premium membership, and its included in premium membership.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:31 am Reply with quote
I wonder which 170 countries get this service?
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:20 am Reply with quote
This looks promising, very promising.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:03 am Reply with quote
Aside from ad-supported, current-chapter-only free option, they mentioned two plans: $4.99 a month and included in all access memership (the live action shows).

But what about anime-only members? Any discounts?
Also will there be discounts if we prepay for the year? (or is that figure already from the yearly plan)
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:27 am Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:

Considering the $4.99 will give you access to the entire run of these series, I don't see a reason to hesitate. Sign up for a few months, work your way through the series that do interest you and if they haven't added more stuff you like by then, unsubscribe. If you use the service for three months and read through ten volumes, you're getting a great deal.

But as I keep saying I am not going to read any of the titles they have to offer because as a choice I don't like reading manga online. This isn't taking the place of free scanlations because I rarely read scanlations anymore except for a few select series. If the service doesn't offer those series then I am not going to use it and don't see the point to spend $4.99 a month, even for 3 months for something I am not going to use.

The original point was to spend $4.99 a month to get more titles added and that is the philosophy I don't believe in.

It's all a moot point anyways because I just realized I already have this manga subscription because I have the all access CR pass (at least until the end of the year). But even with that I doubt I will end up following any of the series they have listed in this format.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:56 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
But what about anime-only members? Any discounts?

This. I only have an anime membership, because outside of North America, the amount of drama they actually have available is negligible, so it's not worth paying the extra for. But the manga service is something I'm very interested in.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:15 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:

This. I only have an anime membership, because outside of North America, the amount of drama they actually have available is negligible, so it's not worth paying the extra for. But the manga service is something I'm very interested in.

They usually have a deal every year where the all access membership cost the same as the anime membership. I believe people were saying its on Black Friday which would be Nov 29th this year or Cyber Monday Dec 2nd. So basically you get the all access membership for 1/2 the cost. I assume this is offered to people outside the US too.

Of course not sure they are going to do it this year but they have been for the past few years. I just hope I won't miss it this year since I'll be traveling in Japan & not sure what my internet access will be like.
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:54 am Reply with quote
I'm intrigued. I do want to find out whether it's downloadable or digital only before signing up, but the price is fantastic and I'd be willing to purchase simply for Space Brothers and Attack on Titan.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:01 am Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
BTW, 5 of the 12 are Monthly. Someone said 4 earlier, but they missed one As the Gods Will, which is in the same magazine as Attack on Titan

You're thinking of the first Kamisama no Iutoori; that ended... last year, I think?
The one listed in the article is the sequel, Kamisama no Iutoori Ni; that's in WSM.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6