• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Among Best Performing Stocks

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kouji

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Lapis Lazuli Lolita wrote:

Man, the TMM fanbase must seriously suck if that's all they had an initial outcry for. Most companies will release character info before release (at least, I recall that much with shows like Galaxy Angel and what-not), and as soon as the name "Zoey" came up, people should gone insane. >_> At least the manga was intact and really cutesy and good.
Or maybe 4Kids just doesn't care that much about what fans think. Remember when Nelvana first announced that they were dubbing CC and they were going to change Sakura's name to Nikki? There was a huge outcry about that name change too and Nelvana ended up keeping it as Sakura (although badly mispronounced; looking back, maybe it would've been better if they just changed it....) yet they changed most of all the other names, anyway. There's only so much the fans can do. Besides, TMM doesn't exactly have a large fanbase to begin with. It has its dedicated fans sure, but it's not as large enough to make an impact as something like oh say, Sailor Moon.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
animalia555

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This argument has run out of street cred, they release uncut Shaman King and it don't sell. Honestly it's no skin off my ass because I don't watch any 4kids stuff.
I did not buy the Shaman King DVD's because they had dubtitles. I would not be surprised if that was the reason for its failure. The same thing happened to Slam Dunk and Air Master.

Last edited by animalia555 on Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:39 pm; edited 3 times in total
Lapis Lazuli Lolita

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
It has its dedicated fans sure, but it's not as large enough to make an impact as something like oh say, Sailor Moon.

And yet Sailor Moon had its names changed. >_>
Kouji

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:10 pm Reply with quote

And yet Sailor Moon had its names changed. >_>
Yes, but the dubs of S and Supers kept the Japanese music and Sailor Moon did get an official uncut subtitled DVD release which TMM didn't. The translation in S and Supers was also a lot more accurate to the Japanese version than what Dic did to the first two seasons and Cloverway even dropped the Sailor Moon Says segments and dubbed all the S and Supers episodes. What's the big deal about changing the names, anyway? Yes, it's an annoying practice that shouldn't be done, but please explain to me again how changing the names effects the plot or changes the characters' personalities any. It's sad but it's a fact that name changes are a neccessary evil in this day and age to get children's anime on the air and they should almost be expected. And compared to all the other things 4Kids did to TMM, changing the names is no big deal, so can we chill about the names already? What's done is done and you can't do anything about it now, anyway. Besides, TMM is hardly the worst dub. Want to see a truly bad dub? Go and watch Robotech.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Lapis Lazuli Lolita

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
Go and watch Robotech.

Oh, to hell with you. Robotech was awesome. I bought Robotech: Battlecry FOR the voice actors first, Veritechs second.
Kouji

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
Go and watch Robotech.

Oh, to hell with you. Robotech was awesome. I bought Robotech: Battlecry FOR the voice actors first, Veritechs second.
So, MMP sucks because 4Kids changed the names but Robotech is awesome even though Harmony Gold combined three seperate shows into one for the sake of money? Congratulations, you make so much sense now (sarcasm).
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:10 am Reply with quote
I guess this is a "lovely consolation prize" for those who were stuck with 4Kids stock for 10 years--you're still ahead, but oh, what could have been. Does any non-employee have 10-year-old stock of anything anymore?

I have come to and will probably stick to the conclusion that 4Kids was a victim of its own success, and considering that it topped in '99, it was hella success.
Lapis Lazuli Lolita

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:08 am Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
Kouji wrote:
Go and watch Robotech.

So, MMP sucks because 4Kids changed the names but Robotech is awesome even though Harmony Gold combined three seperate shows into one for the sake of money? Congratulations, you make so much sense now (sarcasm).

Hold up. HOLD UP. I liked Mew Mew Power. Try. Again.
rocklobster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:34 am Reply with quote
GRR! 4Kids is the bane of dubbing. Why can't they be more like CN and actually let us see the blood and stuff like that (like in Naruto)?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
tripperdan99

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:05 am Reply with quote
rocklobster wrote:
GRR! 4Kids is the bane of dubbing. Why can't they be more like CN and actually let us see the blood and stuff like that (like in Naruto)?

Wrong Demographics/ Market focus

ManOfRust wrote:
Saying this stock was one of the 10 best performing of the last decade is very misleading.

We are dealing with The Motley Fool here, aren't we?

daxomni wrote:

I work with Oracle products on a regular basis, and these guys have made quick work of their competition. No, they're not better than many of their former competitors, but thanks to yet another pro-business, anti-consumer Republican administration Oracle has been able to simply buy-out everyone else in the marketplace (except for a few like SAP and MS) without fear of any anti-trust regulations being enforced. Today's "Family Values" America is in reality all about greed and power, and Oracle had the cash, market position, and financing necessary to take advantage of it.

That's rather weak and very one sided. Should I address you as John Kerry? Ms Boxer?

Irregardless, 4Kids is a business, not an anime company. If they can strip a product (slaughter, chop, blend, bake, what ever) and make it pay off.. well, they will do it. What will generate the greatest amount of mass appeal. Often that's taking something down to the Lowest denominator, to the shagrim of those of use who really enjoy anime in it's original form.

I mostly get amused (or saddened) those who focus on individual stocks. It's simple gambling, but hey, have fun.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Saying this stock was one of the 10 best performing of the last decade is very misleading.

Sorry, but if I bought 100 shares, sat on it for 10 years, and realized I came out that far ahead, I wouldn't be too unhappy.

Now that I've read the article, I think we're all missing the point in that obscurity can lead to big payoffs. Let's exclude 4Kids, because we're a bit biased. Aside from Yahoo, does anyone recognize who else is on the list?

4Kids played their cards right. Yay for them. End of story.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

True. The stock was one of the ten best when comparing October 1996 to October 2006.

But it's worth noting that in was in a slump in Oct 1996, and that all of the stock's growth had essentially occurred by the end of 1999 and that it has been in steady decline ever since.

Someone buying in Oct 1996 and selling at peak value would have made over 270 times their investment back. Someone buying in Oct 1996 and selling today would get about 30 times their investment back. Someone buying at peak value and selling the stock today would lose about 80% of their initial investment.

But it's worth noting that the peak value was a short term surge, it happens with lots of stocks, and that after it corrected itself relatively quickly, the stock has remained fairly steady at around $18-$25 (not include short term surges & dips). Not exactly a horrible performance.

As I've said before, 4Kids remains profitable and has a lot of cash on hand. They're a very viable company.

And the good news for anime fans... it seems like they're getting out of the licensing business.

-t
FlamingPinecone

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:43 pm Reply with quote
animalia555 wrote:
Quote:
This argument has run out of street cred, they release uncut Shaman King and it don't sell. Honestly it's no skin off my ass because I don't watch any 4kids stuff.
I did not buy the Shaman King DVD's because they had dubtitles. I would not be surprised if that was the reason for its failure. The same thing happened to Slam Dunk and Air Master.

I'd blame the failure on most of it's fanbase being unemployed students and nerds offended that OH NOES IT DUBTITLED! so they don't buy it, even if just to encourage 4kids when they do something good. 4kids makes money doing subpar work and you are only part of the problem.

just so long as 4kids don't get something good like Paprika and butcher it, i don't care.

fawhoooosh!
redline

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I agree with this, it all comes down to how you qualify "performance" and the set of standards you are applying to something to bestow a certain status. Quite frankly, in this world anyone can find a way to call anything...... any term you'd like. You could have old Biff print this list out and send it back in time to young Biff so he could buy every stock on the list and think he's doing something or you could have gotten in on the Google IPO and you'd have enough money to build your own time machine.

ManOfRust wrote:
Ataru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:32 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
And the good news for anime fans... it seems like they're getting out of the licensing business.
Woah, I feel a great disturbance in the Force. As if millions of anime fan boy and girls suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced..., or it could be gas. Confused As many times I see "DIE 4KIDS DIE!" posted around this big o' web of ours, the fact remains, they're not going away anytime soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5