• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Casts Professional Cosplayer Jessica Nigri as Lead in Super Sonico

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shikiari

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:44 am Reply with quote
Having met Nigri, I can say that she's actually a very nice "normal" person, but whether it's/she's right for the role, I'll have to hear the dub first.

Super Sonic The Animation wasn't a bad series in my eyes. I just didn't go into it expecting anything than what it showed. There were a few good episodes buried away in the mediocrity though, if you're willing to sift through it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:58 am Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Anyways, Japan do stunts like these too, like idols like AKB48 voicing characters.

That is different though since those idols are already in an industry where their voices are used. Having musical talent in the Japanese voice acting business seems to be a huge plus.

Well, vocal talent with idols are typically iffy; rather dancing and ensemble are their forte, ergo so few of them could survive going solo after leaving the group (large group masks individual shortcomings).

For instance, notice the pattern of the list last year for:
Japan’s 10 best singing voices as chosen by people in the industry

• 10th Place - Akira Fuse

9th and 8th Place [Tie] - Atsushi & Yosui Inoue

7th Place - Miho Fukuhara

6th Place - Hikaru Utada

5th Place - Miwa Yoshida

4th Place - Rimi Natsukawa

3rd Place - Superfly

2nd Place - Toshinobu Kubota

1st Place - Koji Tamaki

Rukiia wrote:

For example, Megumi Hayashibara got into voice acting for fun while working on her nursing degree and turned out she had musical talent along with her voice acting.

Now she has vocal talent.

Last edited by enurtsol on Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Rukiia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:03 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Well, vocal talent with idols are typically iffy; rather dancing and ensemble are their forte, ergo so few of them could survive going solo after leaving the group (large group masks individual shortcomings).

But the point is that they at least have voice experience from idol singing. Jessica on the other hand does not minus the one role she did in RWBY.

enurtsol wrote:
Now she has vocal talent.

Absolutely she does. I have been a huge fan of hers since I was a kid and constantly listened to her music. She was one of the first J-Pop artists that got me into Japanese music.

Side note, I had a huge fangirl moment when I heard her voicing Rebecca in One Piece. Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:09 am Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

But the point is that they at least have voice experience from idol singing. Jessica on the other hand does not minus the one role she did in RWBY.

Well, we won't know yet - after all, Megumi Hayashibara came out of nowhere from nursing studies of all things. Time will tell as she gains experience.

Rukiia wrote:

Side note, I had a huge fangirl moment when I heard her voicing Rebecca in One Piece. Anime hyper

You and people in our club both!
Rukiia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:24 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Well, we won't know yet - after all, Megumi Hayashibara came out of nowhere from nursing studies of all things. Time will tell as she gains experience.

Well, to be fair, Megumi used to be in a Drama club in school which probably worked in her favor for the first audition she did.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:29 am Reply with quote
Dear #831280,

How sad are you to make an an account just to attack someone in a DM??
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:15 am Reply with quote
Ironically Sentai's AKB0048 dub, with a main cast comprising almost entirely of people who had a good amount of anime voice acting experience in the past, is actually far more rough around the edges than the Japanese where all the main girls were voiced by complete amateurs.

What that says about Sentai's attitude towards many of the shows they dub and how this dub will likely turn out I'll leave up to interpretation.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:12 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Ironically Sentai's AKB0048 dub, with a main cast comprising almost entirely of people who had a good amount of anime voice acting experience in the past, is actually far more rough around the edges than the Japanese where all the main girls were voiced by complete amateurs.

What that says about Sentai's attitude towards many of the shows they dub and how this dub will likely turn out I'll leave up to interpretation.

While they might have been amateurs to voice acting, they did still have an advantage in that they were essentially still playing their roles as idols. It helps a lot if they can fall back on what they already know.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:36 am Reply with quote
I have no interest in watching this anime after I pushed myself into watching at most 5 episodes of it subbed for my anime club. It is just so boring to me. Unless it is a gag dub at the level of Ghost Stories, I'm just going to continue forgetting about its existence after today.

With that said, I decide to chime in on the topic of Jessica Nigri. I honestly think some of you are being a little too harsh on Nigri. Every person who wants to be a voice actor needs to start somewhere, and this is one heck of a good jump after RWBY given it's a "professionally" (poorly) made anime and not an indie project.

Was she given the role solely because of her cosplay? Most likely. Does that mean she's going to be really bad at it and lacks actual talent? I don't think we can judge until we hear the dub itself. How well most VAs do is dependent on who's directing them, after all. Even the most amateur of VAs can be polished after spending time with the right people.

Plus, honestly, she's not exactly "stealing" any big role from any other voice actress. Sonico simply pales in comparison to much more well thought out and developed female characters in many other anime. It's not a huge loss for any of the more experienced actors.

In my opinion, if any new VA should be given a first job, it should be something like Sonico- a simple and easy, not requiring too much but enough to get you along and give you an idea how anime dubbing works.
consignia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:39 am Reply with quote
Even then though, the voice work for all newcomers was quite sketchy on AKB0048. I always despair when I see an idol voicing a major role, because they are usually a bit rubbish. That's why I was pleasantly surprised by Wake Up, Girls, because although they were a bit shaky, the girls put in a decent performance for newcomers.
Nyron

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:42 am Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
I really love how everyone hates on this show when last year's big show was some hyper violent trash about giant zombies.

Attack on Titan is garbage, but I don't think that has anything to do with this show not being a pandering cashgrab about an autistic model playing with her cats.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:58 am Reply with quote
DigitalScratch wrote:
I have no interest in watching this anime after I pushed myself into watching at most 5 episodes of it subbed for my anime club. It is just so boring to me. Unless it is a gag dub at the level of Ghost Stories, I'm just going to continue forgetting about its existence after today.

With that said, I decide to chime in on the topic of Jessica Nigri. I honestly think some of you are being a little too harsh on Nigri. Every person who wants to be a voice actor needs to start somewhere, and this is one heck of a good jump after RWBY given it's a "professionally" (poorly) made anime and not an indie project.

Was she given the role solely because of her cosplay? Most likely. Does that mean she's going to be really bad at it and lacks actual talent? I don't think we can judge until we hear the dub itself. How well most VAs do is dependent on who's directing them, after all. Even the most amateur of VAs can be polished after spending time with the right people.

Plus, honestly, she's not exactly "stealing" any big role from any other voice actress. Sonico simply pales in comparison to much more well thought out and developed female characters in many other anime. It's not a huge loss for any of the more experienced actors.

In my opinion, if any new VA should be given a first job, it should be something like Sonico- a simple and easy, not requiring too much but enough to get you along and give you an idea how anime dubbing works.

I don't know if others feel this way, but my problem isn't so much that she is new, but that this comes off as Sentai handing the role to someone that they've already paid to be associated with the character. You're absolutely right that everyone has to start somewhere, and sometimes newbies nail it and get lead roles right away. However, I'm skeptical how much, if any, auditioning went into this one. Maybe she will end up being good in the role, but right now it seems like the casting was done as a gimmick to generate buzz more than anything.

Irrational Games might have hired someone to professionally cosplay as Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite, but they didn't let that stray into the actual production of the game. The "face" of the game at cons was always kept separate from the "voice." It isn't quite the same situation here, but I think it illustrates the point. Different people have different talents, and it isn't always a good idea to rely on talent in one area to compensate for a deficiency in another area.
bs3311

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
You clearly missed the point I was trying to make on how people like, for example, Scott McNeil had worked hard to be where they are at now, while someone like Jessica hasn't really earned it.

No, you are missing mine. No voice actor will care. These actors that worked their but off at mcdonalds will have their talent and hardwork be rewarded with voicing actual creative characters.
Your upset and feel that you have to be the white night for these sad voice actors for not voicing a ditzy airheaded school girl when every single one in there career has already done so. And this has already happend with actors like Krystal Laporte, Chris Ayres's girlfriend who is a cosplayer with little acting experience. Yet she performed well in Tamako Market.

Quote:
Jessica earned a name in the cosplay community, no doubt about it, but voice acting? I have to say no. It just seems rather sketchy that Sentai hired a booth babe, that they paid to cosplay as Sonico at their AX booth, to voice the character.

Because she never had long experience. Yet everyone on this forum thinks its a horrendous idea for a cosplayer who had little experience in acting to voice a ditzy chick who has little to no experience in playing/singing music. That is a typecast. So why can't she start this off the bat? No voice acteress is wheeping in tears on not voicing this mary sue of a character.

we don't even know who the ADR director is. The magnum opus on whether a performance of an actor can be good or bad. All we know is that she said in paraphrase, "I jacked up my voice really high for this. DONT WORRY!"

Quote:

Not me. 10 years ago I cosplayed because it was fun and because I enjoyed participating in contests to perform skits that would make the audience laugh. Winning a few awards for my work, or skit, was good enough.

Re-read my comment again, "Because everyones inner wish or agenda is to have at least, "some" fame in their work.

Its always in the back of our minds. Plus those awards you one in effect gave a small hint of fame for the day in those convention.

Quote:
But the point is that they at least have voice experience from idol singing.

There is little in that to benefit a voice actor. From someone that is in the theater/audio work, they need to try more on the lines of musical/broadway theater to challenge them on placement, timing, dialouge, acting, coreography, set interaction AND singing.

Squidmember Ritsu wrote:
The outcome where this dub is good AND they make a decent amount of money off of it just doesn't cross my mind.

She has a dedicated fan group in the cosplay buisness, who will eat this up. Plus, with extra's like THESE can intruige the average Sentai buyer (like me, dub suck or not) to snag it up. Hell, there will probably be haters going to buy this just to record a video burning it. With the money sadley going to sentai Laughing

Quote:
Ironically Sentai's AKB0048 dub, where all the main girls were voiced by complete amateurs.

And they still sound like ameaturs. Though not as bad as ICE's japanese dub, it's still noticeable to the average listener. Nagisa was so spacey and shallow with her lines contrasting with her character design. And everyone else was stilted in there acting while there animation would be from stiff to over the top.

The dub on the other hand fixes that, with changes to the script to let the actresses sing in some of the songs that make Funimation's MUST DUB SINGING IDEAS (ex: strike witches, heavens lost property, shuffle) sound like rushed script changes with little effort to rhyme that makes Simple and Clean actually sound and read like a proper U.S. song.

Im going to interpret that this is probably going to be directed by Chris Ayres or Emily Neves depending on if she would be busy with other projects after Chunibyo. The remaining cast will be semi new blood while the other main characters will be regular actresses like Hilary Hagg or Luci Christian..

Greed1914 wrote:
However, I'm skeptical how much, if any, auditioning went into this one...
but right now it seems like the casting was done as a gimmick to generate buzz more than anything

It says in the quoted press release. That she was asked about what she feel about playing the part. And in the voice acting buisness from Colleen Clinkenbeards own mouth, majority have no auditioning. They need to make the product fast. Its like the american acting business too, they would specifically ask one actor they know on the top of their head who would play/like the part.

And yes, maybe it was for buzz generating. So what? You, me and everyone else fell for it. Yet there tweets and facebook comments were hinting about it from the very beggining in the middle of last year. People should've saw this comming and its not going to harm anyone whether good or bad. The show is still being advertised for what it honestly is. Not some funimationizing scheme with over the top script changing or ad campaign with a horny edition copy of a cheep sell out from Shinichiro/Yoko Kanno.

{Edit - I edited some snarky comments out of your post. I told everyone to be civil so watch it. ~ Psycho 101}
gerbilx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:23 am Reply with quote
Hahaha, now that's some amusing casting. She sounded just fine for the part at the end of the clip.
gothicangel89

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I never thought Sentai Filmworks would pull this kind of stunt. Hiring a "professional cosplayer" with no theatre experience. I'm really disappointed. I might as well cross Super Sonico off of my pre-order list.
I've watched her voice acting in RWBY and her Lollipop Chainsaw commercial. Both of them are below average. Super Sonico deserves to be voiced by someone that has more experience.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4