• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Punch Line

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bern73

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:20 pm Reply with quote
As ThatGuyWhoLikesThings stated, "Yubafy" is supposed to be "Überfy". A couple of folks have informed Crunchy, so I have no idea why they haven't changed it.

Also, we've actually already seen Pine's body. At the very beginning.

http://i.imgur.com/MvXGqV8.jpg

Whether that's actually Guriko in that body however, that remains to be seen. It's likely though.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Bern73 wrote:
As ThatGuyWhoLikesThings stated, "Yubafy" is supposed to be "Überfy". A couple of folks have informed Crunchy, so I have no idea why they haven't changed it.

I get the feeling that they're probably not going to bother mid-run. I'm not sure how simple it is for them to tweak subtitles on previous episodes, but even if it's easy, I feel like they won't even if only for the sake of not confusing viewers with a change in terminology.

I expect Sentai to fix it for their home video release, of course.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Ep 7 review wrote:
The cat also reveals that Yuta has actually repeated this scenario billions of times as part of the Human Preservation Project in order to find some way to stop the asteroid collision.

So I guess Chiyonosuke actually wins the prize over Yuki Nagato for patience and perseverance. She only had to do this about 15,521 times, right?

But I disagree -- having the world end just because the lead male saw panties is still a running joke.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:10 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
But I disagree -- having the world end just because the lead male saw panties is still a running joke.

But at the very least, they do clarify thatspoiler[ seeing panties doesn't magically summon the meteor earlier than it's usual arrival time.

Seeing panties twice simply... kills him, leaving no one left to stop the meteor. The show is just flashing forward to the impact when it happens.

So, still a running joke, I guess, but certainly less so than before, since him seeing panties isn't literally the cause of the world ending, but rather him simply not being there to try and stop it.]
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone else notice the driver of the car they were in spoiler[during the flashback looked a HECK of a lot like the teacher who is obsessed with ito] that along with what people are saying about our missing third child, I totally see a lot of twist coming in regards to who is evil and who is good.

Also I am jumping on the cat is evil bandwagon spoiler[ Make sure you can't talk to yourself, and make sure you tell your self to restart this cycle. Also Don't tell people what is going on, and don't try anything that may cause the death of the world without my say so. ]
If that did not send some SERIOUS red flags up IDK what will.

I can totally agree with people saying that this would probably be a better game then an anime, that said I think that the series is still very strong. I personally really like ito at the very least.

BTW does anyone remember that our little inventor spoiler[was the one who yu tan is a girl and implied she knew why yu tan acted like a boy.] My question remaining HOW Do you know that?
Also I am going to start listing questions we don't know the answer to at this point after episodes 7 feel free to chime in if I forget something.
Muhi (ito's bear) why does it have healing powers, and what is up with it/why is it with actually with her/where did it come from.
Rabura's possession at a young age.
The questions around ito's teacher
doubleO7

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Did anyone else notice the driver of the car they were in spoiler[during the flashback looked a HECK of a lot like the teacher who is obsessed with ito] that along with what people are saying about our missing third child, I totally see a lot of twist coming in regards to who is evil and who is good.

spoiler[I didn't think they looked the same. Vaguely similar maybe, but I'm not buying it, at least not without more proof. Surely Yuta and Mikatan would've recognized him if they were actually the same person and looked so similar. Also, the guy in the flashback looks like he could've been roughly the same age as the teacher, yet that flashback happened 9 years ago...]

And we know what happened to the 3rd child spoiler[(Pine's body, with Guriko's spirit)]. He ended up joining Qmay, although he hasn't shown up again since, like, episode 2 or 3 (can't remember).

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Muhi (ito's bear) why does it have healing powers, and what is up with it/why is it with actually with her/where did it come from.

Most of this was explained already. Why it has powers and what it's purpose is was revealed in Episode 6.

And as revealed several episodes ago, Rabura's brother gave it to Ito. So we have at least one more unseen character that will undoubtedly show up before the end of the show.
Sanyo

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:16 am Reply with quote
If that's the case, wouldn't Yuta "Yubafy" spoiler[when changing clothes or going to the bathroom due to seeing himself naked (in Chiyoko's body)?]

Last edited by Sanyo on Fri May 22, 2015 6:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:52 am Reply with quote
Sanyo wrote:
If that's the case, wouldn't Yuta "Yubafy" spoiler[when changing clothes or going to the bathroom due to seeing himself naked (in Chiyoko's) body?]

Actually good point but he could be wearing mens underwear actually.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 2:10 am Reply with quote
Wow, the show that was about time travel and paradoxes makes more sense as the series progressed. I am genuinely shocked by that out of the blue narrative revelation. I would never have predicted that in a million years. Oh wait, check page 2. . . ja jannn! Time travel!

Anyways, I highly doubt that Yuuta is stillspoiler[ fully female, that would be a really weird out of left field thing to not even discuss by this point. My assumption is that he had some form of sex change relatively early on, perhaps involving Meika or her father, which is why she knows. It's possible that he's still a girl under there and just has a haircut and attitude, but . . . really?

In either case, as to why he doesn't flip out when seeing his own (female) body, presumably he wears men's underwear, simple as that.

In this episode, he was feeling up Mikatan for like thirty seconds without an overload, so it doesn't seem like the Yubafy reaction comes from any sort of sexual stimuli, it's just seeing panties.

]
Key

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:35 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
In this episode, he was feeling up Mikatan for like thirty seconds without an overload, so it doesn't seem like the Yubafy reaction comes from any sort of sexual stimuli, it's just seeing panties.

You're missing a key detail in that situation, though: Yuta isn't in spirit form when that happens. Only in spirit form is Yuta vulnerable enough to sexual stimuli to have that reaction.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

You're missing a key detail in that situation, though: Yuta isn't in spirit form when that happens. Only in spirit form is Yuta vulnerable enough to sexual stimuli to have that reaction.

He didn't explode, no, but he didn't even basic yubafy (super saiyan), which we know that he can if he sees panties in human form (as shown at the end/beginning of the previous two eps). Based on what we know so far, if generalized sexual stimulation was enough to trigger the yuba reaction, he should have gotten glowy hair in that scene, but you're right in so far as no matter how glowy his hair got it shouldn't kill him in that form. Until there's some evidence otherwise, I'm sticking by my position that his yuba reaction is based on the direct visual trigger of seeing panties, and not on the secondary reaction to that of general arousal (but again, he does have a normal amount of hormones and also has an arousal reaction).
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Ohoni wrote:

Ah, but he did Überfy in the very first episode when he saw panties during the bus hijacking.

Anyway, there are 3 main points to discuss as to why the cat is totally untrustworthy.

1. Back in the beginning of episode 5, Chiranosuke criticized Yuta for supposedly not caring about the deaths of 7 billion people. But the cat doesn't seem to give a single **** about the deaths of 7 billion Yutas.

2. We actually see him kick Yuta in his physical body. Twice. We've seen him interact with objects before, but if he's able to exert such force on a human being to the point of sending Yuta flying, he must be an extremely powerful spirit. And if he is, why does he need to depend so heavily on Yuta?

3. How the hell does he know about Chiyoko, Guriko, and Pine in the first place? You could maybe say that he just went back in time and observed them in the research facility, but since the show doesn't really bring that explanation up, methinks there's something else going in.

There are a couple other points, but I'll go back to them later. Frankly, I'll be totally shocked if it turns out Chiranosuke is completely trustworthy after all.

By the way.

Punchline.
Panchirain.
Pan Chira In.
Chira(nosuke).
Yes.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:30 pm Reply with quote
For all the people asking about Yuta's underpants, that was explained already. Think back to the flashback early on (Episode 2?) when he first meets Mikatan. They run into each other and she ends up clutching his underwear. Boy's underwear. So, there you go.

Ohoni wrote:
Anyways, I highly doubt that Yuuta is stillspoiler[ fully female, that would be a really weird out of left field thing to not even discuss by this point. My assumption is that he had some form of sex change relatively early on, perhaps involving Meika or her father, which is why she knows. It's possible that he's still a girl under there and just has a haircut and attitude, but . . . really?]

I don't really see why this is so weird. spoiler[It's technically not his body. I doubt he would actually make some kind of significant, permanent change to it.]

Either way, I think it's pretty likely we'll find out how Meika knows by the end of the series.
Giolon
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Lots of name errors in the Ep 7 review:

"That doesn't stop Yuba from trying, although Chiyonosuke gives him a foot to the face whenever he tries to go too far. Hence he has to make more subtle, rather than wholesale, changes."

Yuba -> Yuta, just that one occurrence.
Chiyonosuke -> Chiranosuke, all over the review 3 or 4 times.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:19 am Reply with quote
Oy, these kinds of stories make my brain hurt. Smile

Don't we have an isolated time loop here? I'm not clear on how the loop got started (who came in to eject him from his body the first time?), nor what becomes of the soul he displaces when he comes rocketing in from the future. Is he endlessly killing himself?

I'm also not exactly sure about all the time frames, but is it possible that Meika's "father" is Yuta? That would explain how he knew in advance that she'd be needed to help out Mikatan years later. Of course that would be a second closed-loop paradox if that's the case.

And count me in on the cat is evil.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8