• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Manga Banned Around the Globe

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 5:37 pm Reply with quote
If there's any solace to this, at least the Pope of the Vatican has embraced the franchise of Pokémon after acknowledging its purpose of strengthening friendship.

Poll: I voted for Love Live. Disney of Japan aired the show on their nighttime block, so why not the U.S. side?* Bakemonogatari is another show that I would love to see on TV.

*Disclaimer: I know all too well that seeing anime shows such as Love Live on American TV is virtually impossible, for obvious reasons.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:00 pm Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:

7. It could be because I'm atheist, but I don't see how some people think that children could worship cartoon characters. Idolize for a while, maybe, but they will eventually grow out of it. It's not like religious sects for Ultramans have popped up anywhere.

I still remember in middle school when I was reading one of the Cirque du Freak books and was explaining it to my dad. I let it slip out that in one instance the vampire compared themselves to God essentially and my dad was mad. I was not allowed to read those books again. Not sure if it compares exactly, but I think they may not have thought that children would actually pray to Ultraman, but just the idea of COMPARING him to a deity or god is something they just don't want. I already knew that nothing could compare to God, Jesus, or the like, but my dad just didn't accept the fact that they said those things in the book. I think that's what happened with the Ultraman story.

Last edited by KENZICHI on Sat May 02, 2015 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget the storm that followed when The Beatles compared themselves to Jesus.

Say, what is Sugar Pot about anyway? What is it that stirred such a controversy about it? I never heard of it until now.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:14 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I still wish we would get uncensored Dragon Ball manga. Even the current 3-in-1 editions (not the VizBigs) that advertize on the back cover as being "Unedited and Uncensored" aren't. Collecting the regular red/white editions aren't TOO bad, but there's still a little bit of censorship in them.

Are you sure about that, otherwise how did they get away with it. One would have assumed that the fandom would have pounced on that long ago.

Oh I'm sure. I was looking through the first 3-in-1 at my local B&N. The back cover indeed said "Unedited and Uncensored," yet the scene with Bulma bathing naked had the added soap bubbles to cover her breasts and butt (an edit that has been around since the VizBigs). My 2004 copy of Vol. 1 has Bulma naked in all her glory. So... yeah it is indeed blatant lies and false advertising!

Also, I know Bulma's technically underage at that point in the story (she's 16), but why is there now an issue with her being (partially) naked, yet 12-year-old Goku can run around completely naked, and they don't do a thing about it? It's weird and almost a little creepy to be honest.

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Sat May 02, 2015 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:25 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
It's more so for these religious crazies, because they want religion to be the central part of their children's lives like how it's the central part of their own. When something else takes that attention from religion, they become kid of scared and lash out like that.

Speaking as a resident "religious crazy" here, I can say that that's pretty on the mark. The stakes in Christianity are nothing less than salvation of the soul from eternal damnation. Parents love their children more than anything; therefore, yes, seeing them drawn toward things that could -- in the parents' mind -- lead them away from their ticket to Heaven is pretty scary.

I am not a parent myself, but if I was I hope I would make an effort to read whatever my kid was reading myself, and discuss its good and bad points with him. It's unrealistic to try to keep them sheltered forever, which is why it's so important to help them learn to navigate the waters themselves.

In Christianity (and Judaism and Islam), God wants the follower to rely on Him and Him alone; not on idols, not on angels, and not on other spirits. The relationship between God and the believer is likened to a marriage, and messing around with other spirits is compared to adultery. For that reason, witchcraft -- invoking or summoning spirits/demons/etc -- is a big no-no in all of the Abrahamic faiths.

That's what leads to handwringing over things like Dungeons and Dragons, Harry Potter, etc. For whatever reason, there's a small but noisy subset of people who just don't get fantasy, and can't seem to make a distinction between a harmless, imaginative adventure and a work that genuinely encourages dabbling in the occult. I think what happens in most of these cases is that they never look into the works themselves, and just believe whatever they hear about them from whatever sources they follow regularly. Some people who hate on Christianity are likely doing something similar.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:34 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
No mention of Kodomo no Jikan? That's essentially banned here because every retailer 'nope'-d out of it. And in states where loli is illegal...

That's not really banned though. It didn't get as far as getting a publication in the west because the publisher went "F**k me, I just read volumes 2 and three. I can't publish that!, it's abhorrent!!!" and decided it wasn't worth the trouble so the release was cancelled.

Not the same as being banned.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
I've met quite a few people who think Light's the hero and what he was doing is totally awesome.

That's actually pretty interesting to hear seeing as how there were people on either side within the story itself. Hearing people think the same in real life makes it more convincing.

MadHi wrote:
"Allah, the name of the Muslim God"

Lynzee Lamb, please, do your research before you make such statements because that implies that Muslims worship a God called 'Allah' when in fact Allah is just the Arabic word for God the same way as bonjour is hello in French.

Well muslims do worship a god called Allah, and they worship him based on 98 other names which all have their own meanings in arabic. So it's not wrong.
Nyren

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:55 pm Reply with quote
My vote goes to Parasyte - The Maxim.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:56 pm Reply with quote
ANN wrote:
6. Pokémon (Saudi Arabia) Pokémon as a whole was banned from Saudi Arabia in 2001 after the country's religious authority issued a fatwa against the franchise for promoting gambling and containing "Zionist" and Christian symbols. At the time of the ban, the world was in the midst of a "Pokémon-craze" that drew criticism from religious groups in Mexico and the U.S. The trading cards were especially popular and part of the source for gambling claims.

TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:57 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Also, I know Bulma's technically underage at that point in the story (she's 16), but why is there now an issue with her being (partially) naked, yet 12-year-old Goku can run around completely naked, and they don't do a thing about it? It's weird and almost a little creepy to be honest.

I only saw the early DragonBall episodes, but I always thought Goku was a lot younger.

But it is only creepy now, in today's cultural climate. Thirty years ago we weren't so ultra conservative when it came to children.
MadHi

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:

Well muslims do worship a god called Allah,

No they don't.

Somer-_- wrote:
and they worship him based on 98 other names which all have their own meanings in arabic. So it's not wrong.

After doing a simple google search I found this

http://www.arabacademy.com/en/downloads/Learn-Arabic-English-translation-of-99-names-of-Allah

and it clarifies your very vague statement.

Given this information, I have to ask on thing: Why must you turn this forum into a house of lies?
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
MajinAkuma wrote:
"Pikachu's name is Japanese for 'I am Jewish'."
Erm no. Pikachu is just a name. Yudawano is Japanese for Jewish.
Pretty sure you meant "Yudayano", although in the case of a Jewish person the proper word would be "Yudayajin". Besides, I'm pretty sure Mohawk52 wasn't seriously suggesting that Pikachu's name means that. The comment looked more like a follow-up to Lactobacillus yogurti's anecdote about false translations of Gohan's name.

Somer-_- wrote:
Well muslims do worship a god called Allah, and they worship him based on 98 other names which all have their own meanings in arabic. So it's not wrong.
"Allah" isn't one of the 99 names (although there are non-mainstream interpretations that it is the hundredth, "Greatest" name), it's literally just a word meaning "The God" ("Al" being the Arabic definite article and "-lah" coming from "ilāh", "god", with the first vowel elided). Arabic-speaking Christians and Jews use the same word to refer to the deity they pray to as well, so it's not like in Arabic it always refers to The One God of a particular monotheistic belief system. OTOH when the word "Allah" is used in most other languages it's pretty clear what the religion in question is.

As for the survey, I voted for Madoka, although now that I think of it Psycho Pass would probably have much more mainstream appeal (and somewhat fewer chances of being mistaken for a kids' show). A couple of weeks ago I actually had a dream that a Russian dub of Shirobako was being aired at prime time on Channel One. Even within the dream I seemed to have mixed feelings about that. Sigh, maybe in a couple of centuries...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:23 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Don't forget the storm that followed when The Beatles compared themselves to Jesus.

But they didn't. Lennon compared their popularity with that of Jesus. That's a different thing, not that it mattered to people looking to be outraged at the time.

@ vanfanel: funny, you don't sound at all like one of the crazies, who don't seem to believe anything is harmless, and everything in the universe is bent on undermining what is, apparently, a very fragile faith. You sound pretty sane to me.
MangaNeko

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Cerceaux wrote:
MangaNeko wrote:
Wow, my choice for anime was not listed
Sad

I went with Space Brothers, but I wish I could have put down Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club.
You can type in your own selection in the "other" space at the bottom.

Not sure if others have the problem, but "other" is not available when I accessed the survey from "The List" page. I thought it very odd, since "other" has been listed on other ANN surveys. Another point at the time was that I was not logged in when I tapped the survey. Anyone else see this glitch, when accessing survey that way?
the-antihero

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Wow, there have been 3 or 4 posts correcting the 'Muslim God' error and mine was going to be another one.

And yet, ANN has not fixed the article. Seriously, WTF?!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9