• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Turn A Gundam Sub.DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:32 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

Heck no. SEED is often described as a rehash of 0079 but it's updated for the modern era and far better executed. It isn't amazing but it's perfectly watchable. Whereas Turn A has the usual Tomino fingerprints all over it: big on vision but sorely lacking in quality.

Ha! SEED, better than 0079? Surely you jest. It's nothing but soulless early 00s blandness. The main protagonist has no discernible personality and everything has this disgusting unnatural shininess to it.

Turn A Gundam is brilliant, timeless drama in comparison, some Tomino awkwardness aside.

Frankly, Tomino is probably my favorite anime director. The original Gundam is a masterpiece, Zeta Gundam is the greatest mecha series I've ever watched, and CCA and Turn A are also favorites of mine.

Thanks for your opinions. I guess I need to get myself up to speed in Gundam. I watched the movie trilogy adapted from the classic TV series. I think it was excellent and one of the best movie trilogies I ever watched. So now it appears that Zeta Gundam is the stuff I need to watch ASAP. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:54 pm Reply with quote
@AiddonValentine

But the trilogy had bad transitions and left out a lot of important stuff and things came out of nowhere: animenewsnetwork.com/review/gundam-movie-iii-dvd
Fourteenthangel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Frankly, Tomino is probably my favorite anime director. The original Gundam is a masterpiece, Zeta Gundam is the greatest mecha series I've ever watched, and CCA and Turn A are also favorites of mine.

You give Tomino far too much credit. While I agree the Zeta Gundam is a great mecha series and I haven't seen all of Turn A to judge, Tomino is really hit or miss.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:55 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Ha! SEED, better than 0079? Surely you jest. It's nothing but soulless early 00s blandness. The main protagonist has no discernible personality and everything has this disgusting unnatural shininess to it.

You don't have to like it, but you don't get the highest ratings for gundam in a decade (and nothing higher since) and keep characters on top of character polls for another decade by being soulless and bland. Turn-A by comparison is forgettable. How do I know? Look around, it has been largely forgotten.

Better than the classics? Ok, well maybe not. Though personally, in hindsight, I think First was a mess in terms of execution, and I think 'better executed' is correct. I don't think that necessarily means better, nor do I think you can even make a fair comparison.

I'm with you on Zeta being the best mech series I've ever seen though.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:13 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

You don't have to like it, but you don't get the highest ratings for gundam in a decade (and nothing higher since) and keep characters on top of character polls for another decade by being soulless and bland. Turn-A by comparison is forgettable. How do I know? Look around, it has been largely forgotten.

Kira Yamato and most of the other bland characters are just audience proxies. Because there's nothing like characterization to get in the way of projecting yourselves onto them, like silent RPG protagonists.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:29 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

Heck no. SEED is often described as a rehash of 0079 but it's updated for the modern era and far better executed. It isn't amazing but it's perfectly watchable. Whereas Turn A has the usual Tomino fingerprints all over it: big on vision but sorely lacking in quality.

Turn A Gundam is brilliant, timeless drama in comparison, some Tomino awkwardness aside.

Seed is vastly better than 0079 if only for the fact that the original gundam was suspended. It didn't even manage to do the full run so the final episodes are very very rough. 0079 is not a real robot mecha series too much "trasforming" going on and invincibility for that. Those aspects were eliminated in the films. Animation wise there is simply no contest. How could there be, since one was 20+ years old by the time Seed was made. Music wise idem. Technically 0079 is shit. Low quality fare. As for the characters, Flay, Kira, Murue etc... are great characters. Certainly better than emo-Amuro who bitches constantly and is Bright slapped every other episode. He's no role model.

Turn A is a great series (if you can get pas the classical Tomino weirdness). Tomino manages in this series to deal once and for all with the underlying theme constant in all Gundam series (mostly UC but not necessarily) and that is the necessity of war as a consequence of the human condition. Something that he had already tackled decades before in Ideon by the way. Still Turn A ranks as the best of all the UC tv series. And because it is so separate from all the other series it is the best to be approached by someone who's never watched the rest of the UC. It's your Gundam for the masses.

As for the rest ha ha, Gundam is not a masterpiece especially not 0079. Zeta is mediocre at best (there must have been a writers guild strike during production) because the narrative is much much worse than standard Tomino. Graphically it is nice, but it's not sufficient to give it a good mark. ZZ is vastly better (minus the first 10-12 episodes). As for CCA, it's serviceable as the sequel to 0079 (eliminating Z and ZZ). But not much else going for it.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:59 pm Reply with quote
It's sad that "Turn A Gundam" doesn't get an English dub. If any of the "Gundam" series is deserving of a dub,it's this one. Why not? Heck,the original "Gundam" got a dub and it's twice as old as this one is. Age has nothing to do with it. I hope at a later time,this one gets a dub. From what I've heard of this one,it deserves it.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:15 pm Reply with quote
@ Jose Cruz

Honestly, not trying to start a fight, but I think one of them's just stating what they think are "facts"/"truth" and sound completely biased; sounds very annoying Anime hyper

But like I've said, I haven't seen any Gundam series yet Anime smile + sweatdrop

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Jackanapes

It all depends on me for reviews here.

Usually if I disagree with it, I write my opinion on it, like this: animenewsnetwork.com/cms/discuss/4864
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2968629 (I couldn't find a "discuss this in the forum" thing for the SuperS stuff)

{Combined serial posts. ~nobahn}
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Still Turn A ranks as the best of all the UC tv series.

Turn-A isn't UC though. Yeah, I know about the dark history stuff, but the official canon is that it is an AU, and they gave Tomino's unification the finger.
levonr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:16 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
It's sad that "Turn A Gundam" doesn't get an English dub. If any of the "Gundam" series is deserving of a dub,it's this one. Why not? Heck,the original "Gundam" got a dub and it's twice as old as this one is. Age has nothing to do with it. I hope at a later time,this one gets a dub. From what I've heard of this one,it deserves it.

Very different times. First Gundam was dubbed in 2001 when just about everything was dubbed. The market has greatly changed since then.

I do wish Turn A Gundam got a dub however because it is very dialog heavy. Much like Fate/Zero(dub is more enjoyable than reading what feels like a textbook).
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:45 am Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
Very different times. First Gundam was dubbed in 2001 when just about everything was dubbed. The market has greatly changed since then.

Well, I think with the exception of Z, all of the dubbed gundams were on tv so they pretty much had to be dubbed.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:29 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:

the same can be the same for ZZ and victory.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JonLa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:09 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:

It absolutely is good enough for a dub, but it just won't sell enough to be profitable. It's an esoteric Gundam that won't appeal to everyone, so sales won't be high enough to make the money back they'd have to invest in it.

and if it's an unexpectedly huge hit on this release, then you can bet there'll be a dub down the road!
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:33 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

ZZ probably. Victory... doesn't even deserve a sub.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:11 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

ZZ probably. Victory... doesn't even deserve a sub.

As much stuff that comes out over here that gets a dub I think Victory at least deserves a sub. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5