• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Would've Saved Manglobe?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I have noticed, though, that animated films generally have an entirely distinct cast from made-for-TV anime. I watched Kaguya-hime recently and didn't recognize anyone in that cast. It seems like the film seiyuu and the TV seiyuu inhabit different worlds.

Studio Ghibli movies use on-screen actors for their voice casts these days.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:18 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I have noticed, though, that animated films generally have an entirely distinct cast from made-for-TV anime. I watched Kaguya-hime recently and didn't recognize anyone in that cast. It seems like the film seiyuu and the TV seiyuu inhabit different worlds.

To be fair, that is how Hollywood functions too (except movie actors are usually pulled from live-action roles).
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:51 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
To be fair, that is how Hollywood functions too (except movie actors are usually pulled from live-action roles).

America has nowhere near as large a contingent of voice actors as Japan does, and most are entirely unknown to the public. Some Japanese seiyuu who appear in televised anime, particularly the women, have large followings. Hollywood uses famous actors in animated shows to draw adults to the theater. I know I was partly influenced to go see Toy Story because of the presence of Tom Hanks and Tim Allen. I also knew what Pixar was and wanted to see what they could do with a large budget, but most Americans had never heard of the studio at that time.

Nor is it just Ghibli. Look at the resumes here for the two leads in Summer Wars. Most of their other work was in animated or live-action movies.

I'm just a bit surprised at the apparent bifurcation between the actors in animation for film and television. Even someone with as wide a following as Hanazawa Kana has only a handful of movie credits, and a couple of those are related to television series like Steins Gate.

I suspect it has something to do with the, generally negative, perception of televised anime and the otaku audience among the Japanese public at large.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:12 am Reply with quote
You're right. Even people like Tara Strong and Tom Kenny are only known to animation fans, since they're not promoted at all. But the situation is still the same for them as they are for TV voice actors in Japan: If they get movie roles, odds are it's going to be some minor part where they need a good actor and quick.

As for my guess? Anime on TV and anime as movies, unless it's an adaptation, have different people producing them. Hence, they'd each have their own agencies and thus they'd have independently selected their own actors. I could be wrong about this, but that's the most logical guess I have.
Yerld

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:41 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Yerld wrote:
There's profit sharing for certain individuals, such as directors, writers, and creators on anime original productions.

But not, I take it, on adaptations of existing material? My sense is that original productions constitute a quarter or less of the series produced each year. For adaptations do the studios just collect a flat fee and no residuals?

That's where investment comes in. If the studio joins the production committee and the show is successful, they get a cut proportional to their stake.

If the studio doesn't join the committee, it's a flat fee.

Success in the investment game can distinguish a successful studio from a failing one. Flat fees amount to long-term doom (i.e. Group TAC) given the high chance of overruns and fierce competition for work. However, failed investments (i.e. Madhouse, Gonzo) can damage a studio's financial health as well.

Quote:
As for those seiyuu salaries, do they include earnings from singing and other activities outside of voice acting?

Yes. Most of them work through agencies (although some are now freelancers, such as Yui Horie), so the yearly income comprises all career activities.

As you've implied though, singing is largely considered an extension of anime activities. Western fandom tends to lump both anime and mainstream music into one category: J-Pop. However, they're two different markets with distinct consumer bases (exception: mainstream idol acts popular with otaku, popular artists hired to do an anime song) and are treated/marketed as such by the industry.

[As an example, see Warner Bros. They have mainstream movie and music divisions in Japan. However, the anime otaku stuff is a completely different segment with its own staff, marketing, artists, and customers. They aren't really part of the same "industry".]

By and large, mainstream consumers don't buy into the niche, anime-oriented acts (cue complaints about obnoxious music and annoying, squeaky, childish voices). Some even resent the western association between anisong and J-Pop
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Yerld wrote:

As you've implied though, singing is largely considered an extension of anime activities. Western fandom tends to lump both anime and mainstream music into one category: J-Pop. However, they're two different markets with distinct consumer bases (exception: mainstream idol acts popular with otaku, popular artists hired to do an anime song) and are treated/marketed as such by the industry.
By and large, mainstream consumers don't buy into the niche, anime-oriented acts (cue complaints about obnoxious music and annoying, squeaky, childish voices). Some even resent the western association between anisong and J-Pop

They are distinct markets (with some overlap). I found it funny that when attending Animelo Summer Live 2015 (music of anime live concerts) that someone from Music Station asked me about some conventional J-Pop which I was completely unfamiliar with due to being interested in music of anime rather than J-Pop.

Music of anime tends to be more cooperative, with frequent cross-label collaborations (although it is common for the OP and ED of an anime to be from the same label, it isn't always the case).

The Elements Garden writers do write for J-Pop but they also have a very good record writing vocal tracks for anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4