• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Most Memorable Anime Villain

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:20 pm Reply with quote
My shout out goes to the Major from Hellsing Ultimate. His speech about war alone shows how vial he is however he does not do much directly.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Huh. No Monster? Having children spoiler["fall" from rooftops] was rather memorable to me. Legato would be a close second. Funnily enough, both see spoiler[getting killed by the hero] as their ultimate realization.

Squaler is a hero, holding up the mirror to the horribly hypocritical humans. Wonderful character.
kgw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Char Aznable.

He's the king at not letting things go.

spoiler[Her dad dies? Surely I should kill the Zabis!
Her mom dies? Kill the Zabis, from the older to the younger, do not forget it!
His prospective girlfriend/protegee/"my mother" dies? Surely I should kill Amuro!
I cannot kill Amuro? Surely, it's the Earth's fault! Let's kill her! ]
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:28 pm Reply with quote
For me, it would either have to be Gendo, the warden from Rainbow, or spoiler[Mima's manager] from Perfect Blue.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Kyubei is so not a villain, draw up a list of the number of live saved by character action from any media and Kyubei would throne it (at infinity).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:03 pm Reply with quote
"Jacob Hope Chapman"? Did I miss something important again? Anyway, great article, terrific list!

Gabriella wrote:
What do you do when your story needs murder but you don't want to fully articulate the killer's psychology? Just make them psycho! Even otherwise fantastic villains like Death Note's Light Yagami and Monster's Johan Liebert fall into this. They just decide to go on unchecked murder sprees because they're jerks and hate everyone.

Gotta strongly disagree with you about Johan. In fact I'd flip what you said and say it's Makishima who's psycho for no apparent reason other than probably born that way, and Johan whose psychology is well-articulated, albeit not in an easy-to-understand info-dump (and unless you think his mother transferred her hatred of spoiler[Bonaparta] to him in the womb, he wasn't born a psychopath - I don't even think he is psychopathic, just desperately broken). Almost the entirety of Monster is devoted to explaining Johan's psychology.

Johan does not hate everyone. He has one particular target in mind throughout the second half of the series (his motives I think were less clear in the first half, perhaps even to himself), and everyone who dies by his hand or his machinations is merely collateral damage in pursuit of that target. And yet, he is not cartoonishly single-minded in that ultimate goal, having other agendas on his to-do list as well. He also is not driven by hatred of his target. He's actually a unique villain in his motives and methods, created by even more monstrous villains, one of whom does indeed illustrate a nearly perfect psychopath.

So yeah, Johan gets my vote for most memorable. Smile
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:04 pm Reply with quote
My vote goes to half the cast of Claymore, augmented warriors who spend a great deal of time fighting and killing demons almost as often as each other. Special Personal Achievement Award goes to Ophelia as one of the most bloodthirsty, psychotic, and bone-chilling throwaway villians I've ever seen. She first appears around episode 10 and grows to be quite a handful for the main characters. The anime version didn't have a conclusive ending, and there were plenty of other powerful villanesses (and cruel puppet masters) in this show, but Ophelia's embracement of and quick departure from the battlefield was memorable. Claymore is one of those series as a whole that has a patent on some of the darker aspects of human nature and the result of our unstable attempts to harness it.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Congrats for this list, ANN folks. A great idea once more. My own list includes several of the previously mentioned:

-Sawa Nakamura from Aku no Hana/The Flowers of Evil: Seriously, she is quite simply twisted. I felt like slapping the hell outta her.

-Koemushi/Dung Beettle from Bokurano: Folks, if you ever watch this anime, you'll see sadism in its purest form, okay? At least Kyubey has a greater goal in mind: Saving the Universe. This guy just enjoys genocide.

-Brian J Mason/spoiler[Largo] from Bubblegum Crisis: I know, nothing that special as a villian, but hey, first anime villian I remember, so...

-Vicious from Cowboy Bebop: There's just something deeply cold and sinister about him... Another excelent character from an excelent show.

-Light Yagami from Death Note: AKA: The personification of the God Complex.

-Caster and Ryuunosuke Uryuu from Fate/Zero: Well... More sadists.

-Gouda Kazundo from Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex: Seriously, I don't consider Kuze to be a villian. This guy on the other hand... A manipulative shaddy bastard.

-Gendo Ikari from Neon Genesis Evangelion: I need not say more. It was already explained word-by-word.

-Hamdo/b] from [b]Now and Then Here and There: Genocide and other war crime... he's done them all.

-Makishima Shougo from Psycho-Pass: He's an unforgivable bastard, ana embidiement of the most twisted interpetation of Nietzscheian values... but he is also a fruit of an equally evil society. Don't ya love these stories?

-Kyubey from Puella Magi Madoka Magica: I know, he's not mean-spirited, and his actions intend to save an infinite number of beings. Nonetheless, the necessity of bombing a city and killing civilians doesn't take away the evil of doing so. And with Kyubey, same thing.

-Akio Ohtori from Revolutionary Girl Utena: How much have you fallen, Dios.

-Squealer from Shin Sekai Yori/From the New World: Though the Ethics Committee is equally villaneous. In fact, like Makishima, he's a response.

Yes, all of these left an impact in me.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Really great choices, of the ones I know, I definitely agree they're amazing, unforgettable villains that really take their respective shows to a new level.

I was surprised not seeing Griffith or Johan, the latter even won this forum's "best villain" tournament some years ago. They both really stand out as unique evil-doers, and, one would argue, their shows became classics because of their strengths as villains rather than their respective heroic foils. In Berserk's particular case, I'm reading the manga recently and I find Guts rather bland in comparison to Griffitht's deep nuances

Other memorable villains I'd cite would include Lunatic from T&B because he has a really odd role in the show, and Ragyo Kiryuuin from Kill la Kill. If Gendou is the epitome of the terrible father, I'd find it hard to find competition for Ragyou in the horrible mother category.

Fairy Tail's Zeref is also a really interesting spoiler[reluctant] villain, although the anime hasn't gotten to the reveals of his past and motives (and the anime has been rather terrible for the last year, so I don't really expect them to do a good job, even with great material like that). He's a bad guy that you're definitely not rooting for, but one can't help hope that spoiler[he gets some sort of salvation at the end.]

Aizen has been mentioned before and even though I rather hate him as a character, I can't deny he's a fantastic villain -even if he becomes insufferably overpowered before his defeat. He's definitely a lot more interesting and nuanced than the current big baddie in the manga, who somehow managed to be even more insufferable than Aizen without being half as interesting or clever

In Magi (heavy manga spoilers) spoiler[it has yet to be determined whether Sinbad will truly become the ultimate villain or if he's really using David and Gyokuen, but if he does turn out to be the last boss in the manga, I'm sure he'll be a memorable one, considering he's already one of if not the most popular character in the series
]

Gina Szanboti wrote:
"Jacob Hope Chapman"? Did I miss something important again? Anyway, great article, terrific list!

He came out as trans on twitter and youtube this weekend but still chose to keep his middle name.
Purpadude

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:39 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:

Well to me Dilandau was memorable for a lot more than just that, and one of the biggest things that stood out to me was the way he was total loose cannon. Even his superiors like Folken couldn't trust him; they'd give him specific orders to restrain himself and stick to the mission objectives, and then the second they left him on his own he'd go off on sprees of torching buildings and killing civilians and offer only the flimsiest excuses to justify it. Combine that reckless and callous disregard for others with his vanity ("You damaged my beautiful face!"), mental instability, and tragic backstory, and you have a villain who managed to be dangerous, loathsome, funny, and sympathetic, all at the same time. That's what makes him my most memorable villain.

There was also the possessiveness with which he regarded his team of dragon hunters. He abuses them and treats them as an outlet for his aggression, but they were fanatically loyal, and he can't stand the thought of anyone else hurting them. When Miguel is taken captive, Dilandau has absolute confidence in his silence, so when he's killed to prevent an information leak, Dilandau's revenge is sudden and severe.

Seeing them all massacred in one battle by Van drives him into shock and hopelessness. Having been already unstable, it pushes him over the edge, and we see Dilandau despondent and alone, truly haunted by the experience and being unable to save them. In a really twisted way, he cared about them.

Even if there wasn't the twist of his/her identity, Dilandau would be a memorable and compelling character for me.

{Edit: Please don't over-quote. Thanks. ~ Psycho 101}
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Just wait until Diamond is unbreakable hits, you will have new villains to love.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:20 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I'd find it hard to find competition for Ragyou in the horrible mother category.

I think I wanted Medusa in Soul Eater to die a painful death way more than I did Ragyou.

And thanks, I don't do Twitter, so I didn't know, but after Lynzee's brief reversion to Lamb in the Preview Guide, which I assume was a glitch and not something more convoluted, (but I still don't know for sure!), I thought I'd just ask this time. Smile
brucepuppy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I find Dr. Muraki from Yami no Matsuei is very creepy. He raped (not stated explicitly, but I got that impression) and drugged underaged teens, sometimes while pretending as a well respected physician. What makes it creepier is there are probably some cases like it that go unnoticed in our society.
TheLineOfSight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking about my favorite Japanese Anime which are Ranma 1/2 and One Piece. They don't really have villains. Everyone has a reason for what they do even if what they do isn't very nice but no main antagonist is inherently evil like Frieza or the Major.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:07 pm Reply with quote
My top choices for most memorable Anime Villains are Creed Diskenth from Black Cat, Sosuke Aizen from Bleach, Light Yagami from Death Note, Yami Bakura from Yu-Gi-Oh!, Corset along with Scanty and Kneesocks from Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, Orochimaru from Naruto, Rob Lucci from One Piece, but my top vote would have to go to Naraku from Inuyasha who's without a doubt the most persistent Villain in Anime. Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7